The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

David Pogue on the Panasonic GI

Martin S

Can't really compare film vs digital for body size. Film camera is much simpler with essentially little if any electronics (meter, battery, perhaps shutter connection). Digital is just chock full of little cards on flexible connectors, and other assorted electronic components (+ LCD, EVF, etc.).

Still we can hope for full function smaller bodies.

Martin

P.S. Pogue liked the concept but wouldn't buy the G1 for current paucity of lenses, no video, and the fact that it is almost equal to a E420 in size.
I don't care about the video. Lenses will come, and the size may be just right.

M.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I will as a dinosaur continue to compare film and digital until digital gives me in size and flexiabity what film bodies gave me. To me it's not a question of hope but demand. As for video, if I want to do video, I'll buy a camera designed to do video with professional quality and audio.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Maybe it's me but that was a poorly written "review." He spent the whole time praising it only to not recommend it for not offering certain features on the base model. I can agre to an extent that I'd like the body to be smaller but that's a personal preference. I can live with the current size though honestly. It's a digital camera and I'm happy that Panasonic focused on the still camera aspects and decided to release a video version later. I too would like more lenses but the kit lens provides you with a wide and very useful range @ 28-90mm equivalent. That would be enough zoom for most people but the other lens takes you all the way out to 400mm equivalent. Whether you want to take the jump or not it's hard to argue with the included features and results for the price. That's just my take on things though.

Terry

John,
I had a different take. I thought he really liked it and was impressed but simply said wait for the video and more lenses.

Tim

John,
I had a different take. I thought he really liked it and was impressed but simply said wait for the video and more lenses.
I felt he came across as pretty positive. Even though the comparison with the Olympus 420 is valid but I think when you are getting into compact camera's even small savings in size are important.

Panasonic stated that they could have made the G1 smaller so I guess the next version will be interesting. I do hope sales are good so that it encourages more development.

The few existing lenses do look good on paper to me, and how many people buy an SLR with only one lens? Lots I'd say.

Tim

Terry

I felt he came across as pretty positive. Even though the comparison with the Olympus 420 is valid but I think when you are getting into compact camera's even small savings in size are important.

Panasonic stated that they could have made the G1 smaller so I guess the next version will be interesting. I do hope sales are good so that it encourages more development.

The few existing lenses do look good on paper to me, and how many people buy an SLR with only one lens? Lots I'd say.

Tim
I will probably end up with two bodies for the system. I like having the flip out LCD and I think when you actually handle one it is pretty small. I will see it tomorrow and I have already pre-ordered one. I will be getting the 20mm f1.7 lens when it is available and I can see using this on the Oly prototype body as well.

Brian Mosley

Hi Terry,

when you get a look at it, please take note of the shutter sound level... I'm eager to see your description :)

also, see if there's a way of manually switching and controlling the zoomed view in the EVF for focusing - I want to see how practical it will be to focus legacy lenses with this camera.

I have ordered mine - was promised one for Monday (via 3rd party dealer) but Panasonic dropped the ball, very frustrating! lol

As soon as I get mine, I'm going to do a fairly thorough review of how the camera performs as a complement to 4/3rds system - using a whole range of 4/3rds and legacy lenses.

The report will go to all of our Safari Group members and subscribers :

Here's the registration page for the Olympus Photo Safari Group

Here's the registration page to subscribe to our reports.

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

p.s. particularly interested in your comparison of the G1's shutter sound related to your M8... I know it's a mechanical shutter, but hoping it will sound good :)

Kind Regards

Brian

Terry

Brian,
Major league bummer. Panny wasn't at this show which was geared towards pros. So, I didn't get my hands on a G1. I just have to play the waiting game.

Terry

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Brian and Terry,
I will be eager to hear from both of you when you get your G1's. This is an exciting concept to me. I am enjoying my LX3, but think that the micro 4/3 is the way I'm headed.
Cindy

Tim

Hehe, that G1 with the little Pentax 110 lens looks bizzare. I wonder what the results are like?

Tim

Terry

OMG!!! who made the m4/3 to M adapter? How totally cool. I NEED them! I ordered my G1 in red LOL!

jonoslack

After much digging in the Japanese forum it appears the adapters are made by Miyamoto and sold under the brand Rayqual. Robert White seems to sell Rayqual in the UK and might know where to get them.
You are a wonder John.
Incidentally, if anyone doesn't know them, Robert White are splendid:
knowledgeable,pleasant,efficient.

Hi Arne
no filters needed, although the wide angles are going to be pretty boring . . . the longer M lenses sound like more fun (75mm f2 = 150mm f2).

Brian Mosley

Hi Jono,

you make a good point about wide angle - the ZD 9-18 should make a perfect complement to the G1... even the 7-18 will be great - with the articulating screen.

Kind Regards

Brian