Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Gave the OM-D a real work out this past weekend... went to a friend's child's 1st birthday at a splash park and went to Legoland the next day. Since it's sharing the bag with the M9, I didn't have room for extra lenses, so I brought the 12-50mm kit lens for the zoom and splash-ability. Just reviewed the files last night and today, I feel the OM-D files needs a lot more work than the M9.

Before this weekend, I've been shooting with the PL25 lens and I didn't feel the colors to be that bad. But almost every images from this weekend I'm seeing with the kit lens needs some work. I'm starting to think that perhaps Olympus was right to have the default "warm" color setting turned on because under normal daylight, the color from the kit lens is too cold.

The autofocus is still amazing, and the battery was good... still have 1/2 left after two days of shooting (not constantly on). I blame this less than ideal experience on the kit lens... next time out I'll use the PL25 and will see how it does.
    A couple of weeks ago I was in TN at a music/nature camp and shot over 1600 photos. I took the 12-50 kit, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8. Basically I shot the zoom during the day and then the primes indoors at night. Looking through things I can say that the primes gave *really* good results. By comparison the kit zoom wasn't up to snuff, BUT it was so convenient under the shooting conditions that is was a good complement. I was on my feet the whole week and not having to use my feet to zoom in some cases was a nice plus

http://nostatic.com/content/bnc-2012-photos
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine arrived today (black, body only). I had already purchased the Oly grip. Put my Pana 20/1.7 lens on it to start, but my main reason for getting the OMD is in body stabilization with manual focus Leica R and Nikon AIS lenses.....so I'll know if it's a keeper once I've tried those lenses on it. Still enjoy my Pana G1 and GH2.

Actually, I 'm sure I will keep it....the real question is whether I will like it enough to still be shooting with it 3 months from now.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still very happy with the OMD. Actually I have long time not been as enthusiastic with a new camera as with the OMD, last time that was with the E1 if I remember right.

Especially with the 1.4/25 Leica and 1.8/45 Olympus lenses this camera is a dream. Next I will get the 75-300 and the 2/12, that shall then be my lineup for the next future.

The best about the OMD is it's size, IBIS, perfect color and rugged design. Meanwhile I also really like the EVF!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am still very happy with the OMD. Actually I have long time not been as enthusiastic with a new camera as with the OMD, last time that was with the E1 if I remember right.

Especially with the 1.4/25 Leica and 1.8/45 Olympus lenses this camera is a dream. Next I will get the 75-300 and the 2/12, that shall then be my lineup for the next future.

The best about the OMD is it's size, IBIS, perfect color and rugged design. Meanwhile I also really like the EVF!
    Hi Peter,
    I think it was the E5 not the E1

By the way I also like the 45/1.8, dont have the 25/1.4 but the 20/1.7 which is so nice and compact.
    The 2/12 is cute and sounds tempting - I still dont know if I need the f2.0 in a wideangle (and the 9-18 is much better than I hd ever expected for such a small zoom...at least on the EP2-I havent used it on the OMD yet).

One nice thing about the OMD is that -IMO-that the camera is still smaller than a dslr but on the other side -specially with the handgrip-large enough to hoild it real stable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I think it was the E5 not the E1

By the way I also like the 45/1.8, dont have the 25/1.4 but the 20/1.7 which is so nice and compact.
    The 2/12 is cute and sounds tempting - I still dont know if I need the f2.0 in a wideangle (and the 9-18 is much better than I hd ever expected for such a small zoom...at least on the EP2-I havent used it on the OMD yet).

One nice thing about the OMD is that -IMO-that the camera is still smaller than a dslr but on the other side -specially with the handgrip-large enough to hoild it real stable.
    Hi Tom,

actually I was referring to the E1, which at the time some 8 years ago gave me this great new feeling of a revolutionary new product - remember at this dime it was competing with Nikon D2X or D100 or Canon 20D (the 5D has not been released) and it was really much smaller compared to the competition, but delivering exceptional results. Later Oly lost ground and the E3 was a real disaster (at least for me) and the E5 while a great camera is IMHO the last one of the E system - the future is definitely the m43 system and the EM5 is marking for me the first really serious camera in that lineup.

Anyway I find your observations about the 9-18 interesting, I kind of never really checked this lens, but it might be a good alternative in the WA area. Still I want to own the 2/12

The handgrip is one of the nest investments I will make.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    .....Actually, I 'm sure I will keep it....the real question is whether I will like it enough to still be shooting with it 3 months from now.
    Ha-very good analyses. I guess thats the main question for many of us on getdpi for many of those cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i have thinking of getting an omd in time to come but just unsure of the image quality. I know the pana leica 25mm is a great lens but the pics taken with it and the omd on steve huffs website seem average..
    How good is the image quality with this camera without using the kit lens and primes instead?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    i have thinking of getting an omd in time to come but just unsure of the image quality. I know the pana leica 25mm is a great lens but the pics taken with it and the omd on steve huffs website seem average..
    How good is the image quality with this camera without using the kit lens and primes instead?
    Especially wit the Leica 1.4/25 m43 lens the quality is STUNNING! Really stunning!!!

The 1.8/45 is also very much above average.

The kit lens I really love because it is small, light and covers a decent range and IQ is not bad!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I returned mine

I'm sad to say I returned mine due to the inability to easily set the camera to center-point AF, and making that AF area very small and have it STICK. I just wanted to shoot this way all the time

Here is a cross-post on DPR from my feeling regarding this matter:
    ==================

The Oly Burger:
    - We've just introduced the best burger in the world

Customer:
    - Fantastic. It tastes wonderful
    - Why do I need to cut it in fourth before I can eat it?

The Oly Burger:
    - It's the best tasting burger in the world
    - We've given you many tools to cut it in forth before eating

Customer:
    - I've always just taken the burger out of the wrapper and bit into it
    - I don't understand why I have to cut it in forth before eating it

Oly Burger Fan:
    - Look, there is a white plastic knife in the box
    - Cut the burger in half first
    - Turn in 90 degrees, and cut it again.
    - You'll have 4 equal parts, and then you can eat it
    - The smaller pieces are MUCH easier to handle

Customer:
    - I don't understand. I just want to eat the burger
    - Why do I have to do all that to just eat a burger

Oly Burger fan:
    - Oh come on. It takes less than 10 seconds to cut the burger
    - Here is a trick: Take a sharp knife from home, and you can reduce the cutting time to 4 seconds.

The Oly Burger:
    - We make the best tasting burger in the world

Customer:
    - Are you kidding me?
    - Still, it tastes pretty good.
    - Maybe some day they will decide to sell a burger in whole.

Oly Burger fan:
    - You're just too lazy.
    - It's just a burger. Get over it.

The Oly Burger:
    - We make the best tasting burger in the world
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Post Thanks / Like

Now, the big question. I know I know, I'm still playing to the ice cream questions, but here's to shamelessly asking: Would any of you shoot this thing professional and walk away and not feel embarrassed about have it done it with the MFT camera, more specifically the OMD EM5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may get a lot of flavors of ice cream as your answer. Personally I like chocolate but may change depending on the occasion.

Same answer here - it depends on what you are shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

Po-Ming wrote:

Would any of you shoot this thing professional and walk away and not feel embarrassed about have it done it with the MFT camera, more specifically the OMD EM5?
    Sure. I have shot for years professionally with lesser cameras—and think it's likely we all have.

The rendering of portraits with the 45/1.8 is as good as anything I have shot with, for the purposes of all of my recent work, most of which ends up in brochures or the net. I do not make huge enlargements for my personal work, either; usually smaller than 10 x 8".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same here. Shot a wedding with it and two dance recitals. Also doing a corporate headshot gig with the OM-D as primary.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Po-Ming wrote:

Sure. I have shot for years professionally with lesser cameras—and think it's likely we all have.

The rendering of portraits with the 45/1.8 is as good as anything I have shot with, for the purposes of all of my recent work, most of which ends up in brochures or the net. I do not make huge enlargements for my personal work, either; usually smaller than 10 x 8".
    Thanks Kit! I know my question is non specific, since it depends on the job, but rather I'd like to know as far as "what?" does this combination get you as far as say compared to a pro 35mm DSLR. I'm not comparing sports AF capabilities here, just IQ.
    Again, this is strawberry ice cream question, but how far m43 has matured over the years, and more specifically from professional shooters, especially when I'm not one myself! I'm curious to know the many flavors for answers.

Thanks,
    Po

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot a lot of professional jobs with the 6mp Canon D60, and a close friend did the same with the D30. If 3mp can do jobs, the OM-D can. On the other hand, for some jobs the Roundshot D3 isn't enough. Depends.

For my jobs, most of the time I need TS capability, so the Olympus won't do. Not because of IQ, but other factors. I also wouldn't pick it for sports.

Henning

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

link to custom grip option, production unit, now shipping:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/commer...tml#post428425

Post Thanks / Like

Po-Ming wrote:

Most of my recent sale of pictures for periodicals and books have been from m43rds cameras. The last one, for a book about street artist Banksy was shot on my GF1 with the 45/2.8. I'm not a full time professional but the main reason for interest in purchasing my pictures has been the content not the camera, which brings you back to the old saw, it is the camera you have with you that takes the best shot.

I did a recent shoot of a book launch for a relative and the PR company and author were both more than happy with the out of camera jpegs from my GH-2 and 25/1.4.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's like I tell my students:

"Hand me a $20,000 tennis racket. Hand a 20 year old Wilson with a bad grip to Venus Williams. Who do you think is going to win the singles match?"

Sure, great tools make the job easier, but it's the photographer who understands his/her tools and their limitations who can produce great images regardless.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Now, the big question. I know I know, I'm still playing to the ice cream questions, but here's to shamelessly asking: Would any of you shoot this thing professional and walk away and not feel embarrassed about have it done it with the MFT camera, more specifically the OMD EM5?
    Hmmmmm, well, I think we all understand that if the photographer is up to it, so is the OMD. 16mp with with a light AA filter is really ok for any magazine or PR shoot.

But there is also an interesting point as to perception. . . . when I was shooting PR stuff with the M8 I always took along a big SLR and left it on the side - because it said to the client 'Sure, I have BIG professional cameras - but in this case I'm using the little Leica'.

The OMD does actually look like the business (in a way in which the GH2 never could). It has a solidity and presence about it . . . . but it's still small

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is an interesting perception, Jono (OM-D vs GH-2).

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    The OMD does actually look like the business (in a way in which the GH2 never could). It has a solidity and presence about it . . . . but it's still small
    Next thing is you'll say it's better than my L1

I often shoot paid jobs with any camera I happen to fancy that day (except motor sports, which needs a good optical viewfinder and a very deep buffer), and any question about the size of my camera (You had a bigger camera the last time, didn't you?) is answered with "Do you want to carry my big camera for me the next time?". That works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ..."Do you want to carry my big camera for me the next time?". That works.
    That was the justification for pros carrying Leicas in the old days when men were men and a real camera was a Speed Graphic--or at least a Rolleiflex. I think it still applies.

If it does the job and has sufficient IQ for the purpose, all the rest is marketing.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

A question if I may. I have a Leica M9 and some nice glass, but the Oly will be joining them soon because I sometimes want weather proofing when I hit the streets in our lovely British weather

I don't think I'll be going for primes. Instead I'm looking at the Pana 12-35mm f2.8. Has anyone used this combo and can give feedback?

I guess the kit lens would probably do all I want, but the speed of Leica glass does seems to spoil you!

By the way, I am familiar with both four thirds and m4/3. I still have the original EP-1 and the Pana 20mm.

Mike
    http://mikewoods.zenfolio.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Mine arrived today (black, body only). I had already purchased the Oly grip. Put my Pana 20/1.7 lens on it to start, but my main reason for getting the OMD is in body stabilization with manual focus Leica R and Nikon AIS lenses.....so I'll know if it's a keeper once I've tried those lenses on it. Still enjoy my Pana G1 and GH2.

Actually, I 'm sure I will keep it....the real question is whether I will like it enough to still be shooting with it 3 months from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Ha-very good analyses. I guess thats the main question for many of us on getdpi for many of those cameras.
    Hi there Both
    I also agree . . . but I've had mine for two months already - and it's still getting used - what's more, I like it more as time goes by . . . it has even graduated to a Luigi strap!!!!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Woods View Post
    A question if I may. I have a Leica M9 and some nice glass, but the Oly will be joining them soon because I sometimes want weather proofing when I hit the streets in our lovely British weather

I don't think I'll be going for primes. Instead I'm looking at the Pana 12-35mm f2.8. Has anyone used this combo and can give feedback?

I guess the kit lens would probably do all I want, but the speed of Leica glass does seems to spoil you!

By the way, I am familiar with both four thirds and m4/3. I still have the original EP-1 and the Pana 20mm.

Mike
    Hi Mike
    I don't think it's shipping yet (the 12-35) but it sounds great - but don't write off your Leica glass, mine get's used on the OMD.

I think the OMD is a perfect companion for an M9 - I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Mike
    I don't think it's shipping yet (the 12-35) but it sounds great - but don't write off your Leica glass, mine get's used on the OMD.

I think the OMD is a perfect companion for an M9 - I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best
    Thanks Jono, I was hoping you would pop by and comment. I need to make some calls to dealers - I'm seeing the lens listed at various sites, but I guess that might be what they call marketing....

I used Leica and CV lenses on the EP1 with a cheap adaptor. I'm looking forward to seeing what the CV 35mm f1.2 can do on the OMD But a weatherproof zoom is just so appealing at the moment to complement the M9 and primes.

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be many reviews of the OMD with M mount lenses, or maybe I need to look harder. Unlike the Nex-7...

Best wishes to you and your family.

Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono, I was hoping you would pop by and comment. I need to make some calls to dealers - I'm seeing the lens listed at various sites, but I guess that might be what they call marketing....

I used Leica and CV lenses on the EP1 with a cheap adaptor. I'm looking forward to seeing what the CV 35mm f1.2 can do on the OMD But a weatherproof zoom is just so appealing at the moment to complement the M9 and primes.

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be many reviews of the OMD with M mount lenses, or maybe I need to look harder. Unlike the Nex-7...

Mike
    Mike - I think the 12-35 lens was released in Asia last week and should be hitting stores in Europe this week or next. US seems to be last on the list. I have an order for it direct from Panasonic and they were estimating early July about a month ago.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am keen to get this lens as well but have to save up my shekels for it. I am hoping the price drops a bit soon. There is supposed to be a matching 35-100 f/2.8 as well. What I am truly hoping for is that Olympus ports their 4/3 SHG glass to m4/3 with a proper stepper motor for the OM-D's focus mechanism. Hopefully this won't rattle when the power is off ("idle rattle") like current designs. I haven't handled the Panasonic X lenses so I can't say whether they suffer from "idle rattle" or not.

BTW, my review of the OM-D will feature a lot of old OM glass.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike
    Hi Mike
    I must be honest and admit that I don't even have an M mount adapter for my OMD . . . I've got an M9 to put those lenses on. But I do have an R mount adapter, and I've been having really good experiences with the longer R mount lenses on the OMD

. . . and best wishes to you and yours too!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I am keen to get this lens as well but have to save up my shekels for it. I am hoping the price drops a bit soon. There is supposed to be a matching 35-100 f/2.8 as well. What I am truly hoping for is that Olympus ports their 4/3 SHG glass to m4/3 with a proper stepper motor for the OM-D's focus mechanism. Hopefully this won't rattle when the power is off ("idle rattle") like current designs. I haven't handled the Panasonic X lenses so I can't say whether they suffer from "idle rattle" or not.

BTW, my review of the OM-D will feature a lot of old OM glass.
    Word is that the 4/3 SHG glass was proffered to Pros and the m4/3 is more of a mid range offering....I assume that when the SHG glass is gone there will not be a replacement at this level.

This does not attempt to incorporate the imponderable question of Olympus corporate solvency ....

So....my suggestion is to buy while the lenses are still available...

Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post

Bob
    Which is super risky as well as these lenses could be orphans. Right now I would only buy used 4/3. New the lens prices are sitting at high levels and resale now pretty much sucks having just sold a lens. Definitely a buyers market on used.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Word is that the 4/3 SHG glass was proffered to Pros and the m4/3 is more of a mid range offering....I assume that when the SHG glass is gone there will not be a replacement at this level.

This does not attempt to incorporate the imponderable question of Olympus corporate solvency ....

Bob
    Wait for the E-7. There are strong indications from Olympus that it's under development and the chances are that it's a hybrid 4/3-m4/3, hopefully a lot smaller than the E-5.

Oh... and I don't think the SHG lenses will die. They must have cost Olympus a fortune to develop and since they are probably more or less hand made anyway, doing a short run now and then doesn't cost them much but generates a healthy profit. I was also told by a dealer that the E-5 is still selling surprisingly well. He recently took in 10 bodies and they flew off the shelf in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I finally received my black OM-D body and grip yesterday, so I'm still in the "fighting with the user interface" stage. It really is complex and somewhat frustrating, after the simplicity of the Panasonic G1.

A question that I haven't seen discussed is whether a screen protector is necessary. I didn't bother with the G1, but with the OM-D screen always exposed, I was thinking about it.

And the Panasonic cable release isn't compatible! Does anyone know if the Olympus USB RM-UC1 release will work on the OM-D?

Thanks
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

This maybe helpful:
    Olympus OMD Screen Pro Guard Review and Installation | Small Camera BIG Picture

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Well, I finally received my black OM-D body and grip yesterday, so I'm still in the "fighting with the user interface" stage. It really is complex and somewhat frustrating, after the simplicity of the Panasonic G1.

A question that I haven't seen discussed is whether a screen protector is necessary. I didn't bother with the G1, but with the OM-D screen always exposed, I was thinking about it.

And the Panasonic cable release isn't compatible! Does anyone know if the Olympus USB RM-UC1 release will work on the OM-D?

Thanks
    Santo
    .Sam.
    Panasonic GF1 & Olympus E-P5
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the Micro Solutions films on my GX1 and my new OM-D and would *highly* recommend them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    I have used the Micro Solutions films on my GX1 and my new OM-D and would *highly* recommend them.
    I have the Micro Solutions Film for the Olympus PEN E-P3 on my OMD and it's great protection and I don't even notice it's there.

The Micro Solutions Film for the OMD is out of stock at Amazon.

The Micro Solutions Film for the Olympus PEN E-P3 fits the OMD perfectly; it's usually in stock and it's $2 less than the film for the the OMD.

Amazon.com: Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Fingerprint Display Protection Film (Pro Guard AF) for Olympus PEN E-P3 // DCDPF-PGOLYMEP3: Camera & Photo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use screenpatronus.com on all of my cameras

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I use screenpatronus.com on all of my cameras
    how does it work with the touchscreen?
    (mine have always been naked)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

For those who are looking to pick up the OMD EM5 in the US, mine had arrived safely from Green Mountain Camera. Out of stock from the usual online vendors, I took a chance from GMC, with little reseller ratings, but it's here! Battery is charging...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the feedback.

For some reason, Amazon won't ship the Micro Solutions film to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't carry it. The Screen Patronus looks interesting.

The second day with the OM-D went much better now that I'm becoming familiar with the UI. I only got 200 shots out the battery, hopefully that will improve after a few cycles.... and still no sign of the back ordered battery.

cheers
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Without paying through the roof for batteries right now, Japan is the only option!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an om-d and am largely happy with the camera. However, if the nex cameras had or will have the same focusing speed i wonder if i would not just combine an nex with the new rx100. I could use the la-ea2 for situations when i need absolute focus speed and accuracy for sports etc and have arguably better dynamic range and high iso performace as well as true pocketability with the rx.

Basically, as good as the om-d is, its is still a compramise (for me). I don't have built in flash. It has the hump which detracts from the packaging and the ergonomics without the grip are so-so. I know lens choice seems to be the raison d'etre of the m4/3 crowd but having used the sony lens line up i cant help but think its not that big of a chasm.

For now i have the om-d with 45, 20 and kit lens, but i find myself still yearning for the nex-7 i once had. I know that flows against the current but . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got an aversion to Sony as a brand, ever since I tried to get customer support for an mp3 player years ago. It's almost an irrational phobia, brought on by an awful experience.

You'd think that, given the reliability of mass produced electronic products such a company would appreciate the opportunity to build customer loyalty when their product fails.

Maybe Sony have changed more recently?

Cheers

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having owned both a NEX-7 and the OM-D, I personally prefer the ergonomics and performance of the OM-D. Granted, the NEX-7 has a bigger sensor, 50% more pixels, and very nice dynamic range, but the OM-D has more native lenses, faster AF, and better noise signature than the NEX-7. Also remember that the OM-D is essentially a v1.0 product, while the NEX-7 is 3rd generation. Should there be an E-M6 or 7 in the near future, it will surely incorporate everything that Olympus has learned from the E-M5.

To be honest, the only thing the OM-D needs right now to make it a "perfect" (for me) camera is a function similar to focus peaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The only thing the OM-D range needs to make it the perfect camera for me, is native focusing speed for 4/3rds lenses... Given the rapid rate of new lenses though, this is becoming a minority issue.

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking that the 12–35 on the OM-D will be the ultimate travel setup, having just returned from Thailand (nothing special to show, sorry).

I did have my OM-D lock up at the worst possible time (4-member family on single Honda 90 alongside my taxi—lockup Hell!), so am looking forward to getting Jim's grip (that allows instant dropping of a battery, like dropping a clip from a pistol).

I will probably get a second body; I have sold the other small-form cameras as noted previously, but for some reason am still hanging on to the GXR (I guess one reason is that its flash triggers strobes completely unproblematically, and the 50 macro is a great little setup).

@ etrigan: the Sony/Panny lenses are so good, IMHO, that I will be selling all my CV lenses—I do not feel that the IQ/signature/drawing difference is enough to forgo the convenience of fast AF, so do not need peaking, personally.

My OM-D lens lineup is the 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, and the stellar 45/1.8 (and the 45/2.8 macro). I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.

I do hope that Olympus solves the lockup problem, but apart from that, I like this little toy.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am thinking that the 12–35 on the OM-D will be the ultimate travel setup, having just returned from Thailand (nothing special to show, sorry).

I did have my OM-D lock up at the worst possible time (4-member family on single Honda 90 alongside my taxi—lockup Hell!), so am looking forward to getting Jim's grip (that allows instant dropping of a battery, like dropping a clip from a pistol).

I will probably get a second body; I have sold the other small-form cameras as noted previously, but for some reason am still hanging on to the GXR (I guess one reason is that its flash triggers strobes completely unproblematically, and the 50 macro is a great little setup).

@ etrigan: the Sony/Panny lenses are so good, IMHO, that I will be selling all my CV lenses—I do not feel that the IQ/signature/drawing difference is enough to forgo the convenience of fast AF, so do not need peaking, personally.

My OM-D lens lineup is the 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, and the stellar 45/1.8 (and the 45/2.8 macro). I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.

I do hope that Olympus solves the lockup problem, but apart from that, I like this little toy.
    HI Kit
    interesting thoughts - I wasn't aware of the lockup problem - my camera hasn't done it in some 4000 shots - I guess it only happens under some circumstances?

I'm also considering a second body, but must sell my NEX7 kit first.

As for lenses - at the wider end I'm right with you - no reason to use CV or Leica glass . . . but at the longer end, I've been having a lot of fun with Leica R glass (60 macro - 180 Apo f2.8 - 80-200 f4 zoom). They are fantastic on the OMD and have a zing which I don't seem to be getting from the equivalent focal lengths.

The lack of focus peaking is a pity - on the other hand there is a definite and obvious 'effect' with in-focus areas - a kind of reduction of saturation / increase of contrast. In practice I've been getting very good results focusing manually without the (to me) disturbing zooming in and out.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.
    While I understand the zoom argument, you might regret selling the Pan Leica when you do have the zoom!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    First m43 body that I like enough to keep. Sold Nikon V1 and Sony NEX-7. Adding lenses to the Olympus to fill out the kit. This is the camera I wish Nikon had made.
    Nikon apparently didn't want a mirrorless cannibalizing DSLR sales. At least not their mirrorless.

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, has this happened to you again since?

I've experienced this twice now, on both days since getting my OMD. Once yesterday, camera wouldn't wake from 'sleep' and had to drop the battery and reinsert before it recovered. Then again three times today; twice it failed to wake from sleep, and once it failed to turn on from off....again reinserting the battery brought it back to life.

I'm alternating between two genuine Oly batteries, and have experienced this with both.

Incidentally, I got 116 shots from a full charge today. The batteries have already undergone a single discharge/charge cycle.

Mike