The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

nostatic

There is no single factor - they just got a lot right. The IBIS is a big deal. I have been a Pentax fan for years, in part due to them having in-body stabilization. There are some great lenses available that work perfectly without any drama (45/1.8, 25/1.4, etc). The EVF is good, the angled screen is useful, the iq is good (especially at higher iso), and it performs well in all conditions (wet, low light, etc). The AF performance is snappy and the black/silver body (especially with a silver 45/1.8) evokes another time.

Not perfect, but the shortcomings are all pretty minor.

etrigan63

Sold my 5D2 and NEX-5n. Really like the OMD though I wish I could find the grip as I'd like a bit more room for my hand. Beyond that, very fun to shoot and now that Aperture supports the raws, the files are great.
Check with John Milich (jlm). He just designed a grip for the OM-D for those folks who want the extra hand room but not the extra battery

Diane B

Check with John Milich (jlm). He just designed a grip for the OM-D for those folks who want the extra hand room but not the extra battery

I have him bookmarked. If i decide to buy EM5 this Fall (I have G3 now and though its more than sideways upgrade, maybe not quite enough but I'm waiting for Photokina) I feel sure I would like the added grip but don't want the battery. I gave those up with next to last big Canon DSLR. It looks very nice.

Diane

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This thread seems to get the same kind of answers as if a bunch of six-year-olds were asked "Do you like ice-cream?" :ROTFL:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: Do you like ice-cream?
I absolutely love ice-cream, and I'm convinced that it enhances brain activity. On the other hand, when I look back upon my life achievements compared to those who eat less ice-cream... at least it gets me in a good mood. Oh, and it's much cheaper than cameras too :D

But I am somewhat older than six. At least nine if you ask my parents, close to a hundred if you ask my gf :ROTFL:

pophoto

I absolutely love ice-cream, and I'm convinced that it enhances brain activity. On the other hand, when I look back upon my life achievements compared to those who eat less ice-cream... at least it gets me in a good mood. Oh, and it's much cheaper than cameras too :D

But I am somewhat older than six. At least nine if you ask my parents, close to a hundred if you ask my gf :ROTFL:
Hahaha, and there I was thinking to ask you a trick question, that if you in fact liked the OMD-EM5 (ice-cream) :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hahaha, and there I was thinking to ask you a trick question, that if you in fact liked the OMD-EM5 (ice-cream) :)
Unfortunately, I don't own one as for now. Body only not available here yet, and I have "exploded" my camera budget with the acquisition of some great MF gear. I could sell something, but I still regret my last camera sale, some 11 years ago, my dear Rolleiflex "Baby" :cry:

Edit: There's also the danger that the OM-D is so good that I'd be tempted to stop using my other gear, and I just love to use old, obsolete cameras :)

Last edited:

photoSmart42

Love the OM-D. The IBIS, high speed flash sync, and weather-proofing have all come in very handy over my G1/GH1. Higher resolution also helps. Keeper!

V

Vivek

WOW! Anyone here even thought about the Leica X2 now you have a OMD?
Is that a joke?

The X2 has the advantage of allowing one to use Olympus' EVF. Granted that the Leica label will be prominently absent. :(

pophoto

Seriously, we know a lot of people here go cameras here like milk, rather, if the answer is no, it means the camera is holding back a lot of temptation. Silly question from me of course! Although, I have been getting the Leica itch since the OMD isn't available to me unlike the X2!

V

Vivek

Personally, I am waiting for a digital CL and that isn't the X2. Lovely camera though.
What is not to like in that, including the price tag?:D

V

Vivek

Since you are going for options well outside of the m4/3rds, you may want to wait and see what Canon bring out soon.

If it is with the new Canon EOS650's guts in an interchangeable mirrorless cam, it may be worthy of consideration. I am looking forward to that and likely to buy it though I do not have/use any EOS lenses or accs. I sincerely hope that it won't be a toy novelty like the Nikon stuff.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Personally, I am waiting for a digital CL and that isn't the X2. Lovely camera though.
What is not to like in that, including the price tag?:D
If I should guess, a digital CL would be a m4/3 camera, not a 35mm one, something along the lines of the GX1 and made in Japan by Panasonic. I think developing another 35mm camera and setting up a production line would hurt production of existing models. The best we can hope for is probably more Leica developed lenses for m4/3. I have the original 4/3 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 and that's a superb piece of optical engineering.

Edit: An important point is that the CL was actually a Japanese camera made in Japan also. A GX1-like camera with a viewfinder, which would probably make it slightly larger, would probably be that camera. I use the L1 on a daily basis for the time being, and although the viewfinder is crap, I enjoy it a lot. I even consider buying another body plus the 25mm f/1.4 to make it "complete".

Last edited:

pophoto

Since you are going for options well outside of the m4/3rds, you may want to wait and see what Canon bring out soon.

If it is with the new Canon EOS650's guts in an interchangeable mirrorless cam, it may be worthy of consideration. I am looking forward to that and likely to buy it though I do not have/use any EOS lenses or accs. I sincerely hope that it won't be a toy novelty like the Nikon stuff.
I agree, either way I am waiting and maybe it is the wisest thing to do at the moment. I heard Thorsten Overgaard hinted at a digital CL. Either way a small system like m43 is great, right now I have most of the fast prime lenses with my Pan GX1. Just don't feel it is quite there compared to the OMD!