The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

JMaher

You may get a lot of flavors of ice cream as your answer. Personally I like chocolate but may change depending on the occasion.

Same answer here - it depends on what you are shooting.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Po-Ming wrote:

Would any of you shoot this thing professional and walk away and not feel embarrassed about have it done it with the MFT camera, more specifically the OMD EM5?
Sure. I have shot for years professionally with lesser cameras—and think it's likely we all have.

The rendering of portraits with the 45/1.8 is as good as anything I have shot with, for the purposes of all of my recent work, most of which ends up in brochures or the net. I do not make huge enlargements for my personal work, either; usually smaller than 10 x 8".

etrigan63

Same here. Shot a wedding with it and two dance recitals. Also doing a corporate headshot gig with the OM-D as primary.

pophoto

Po-Ming wrote:

Sure. I have shot for years professionally with lesser cameras—and think it's likely we all have.

The rendering of portraits with the 45/1.8 is as good as anything I have shot with, for the purposes of all of my recent work, most of which ends up in brochures or the net. I do not make huge enlargements for my personal work, either; usually smaller than 10 x 8".
Thanks Kit! I know my question is non specific, since it depends on the job, but rather I'd like to know as far as "what?" does this combination get you as far as say compared to a pro 35mm DSLR. I'm not comparing sports AF capabilities here, just IQ.
Again, this is strawberry ice cream question, but how far m43 has matured over the years, and more specifically from professional shooters, especially when I'm not one myself! I'm curious to know the many flavors for answers.

Thanks,
Po

henningw

I shot a lot of professional jobs with the 6mp Canon D60, and a close friend did the same with the D30. If 3mp can do jobs, the OM-D can. On the other hand, for some jobs the Roundshot D3 isn't enough. Depends.

For my jobs, most of the time I need TS capability, so the Olympus won't do. Not because of IQ, but other factors. I also wouldn't pick it for sports.

Henning

biglouis

Po-Ming wrote:

Most of my recent sale of pictures for periodicals and books have been from m43rds cameras. The last one, for a book about street artist Banksy was shot on my GF1 with the 45/2.8. I'm not a full time professional but the main reason for interest in purchasing my pictures has been the content not the camera, which brings you back to the old saw, it is the camera you have with you that takes the best shot.

I did a recent shoot of a book launch for a relative and the PR company and author were both more than happy with the out of camera jpegs from my GH-2 and 25/1.4.

LouisB

etrigan63

It's like I tell my students:

"Hand me a $20,000 tennis racket. Hand a 20 year old Wilson with a bad grip to Venus Williams. Who do you think is going to win the singles match?"

Sure, great tools make the job easier, but it's the photographer who understands his/her tools and their limitations who can produce great images regardless.

jonoslack

Now, the big question. I know I know, I'm still playing to the ice cream questions, but here's to shamelessly asking: Would any of you shoot this thing professional and walk away and not feel embarrassed about have it done it with the MFT camera, more specifically the OMD EM5?
Hmmmmm, well, I think we all understand that if the photographer is up to it, so is the OMD. 16mp with with a light AA filter is really ok for any magazine or PR shoot.

But there is also an interesting point as to perception. . . . when I was shooting PR stuff with the M8 I always took along a big SLR and left it on the side - because it said to the client 'Sure, I have BIG professional cameras - but in this case I'm using the little Leica'.

The OMD does actually look like the business (in a way in which the GH2 never could). It has a solidity and presence about it . . . . but it's still small

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The OMD does actually look like the business (in a way in which the GH2 never could). It has a solidity and presence about it . . . . but it's still small
Next thing is you'll say it's better than my L1 :loco:

I often shoot paid jobs with any camera I happen to fancy that day (except motor sports, which needs a good optical viewfinder and a very deep buffer), and any question about the size of my camera (You had a bigger camera the last time, didn't you?) is answered with "Do you want to carry my big camera for me the next time?". That works.

Peter Klein

..."Do you want to carry my big camera for me the next time?". That works.
That was the justification for pros carrying Leicas in the old days when men were men and a real camera was a Speed Graphic--or at least a Rolleiflex. I think it still applies.

If it does the job and has sufficient IQ for the purpose, all the rest is marketing.

--Peter

Mike Woods

A question if I may. I have a Leica M9 and some nice glass, but the Oly will be joining them soon because I sometimes want weather proofing when I hit the streets in our lovely British weather:D

I don't think I'll be going for primes. Instead I'm looking at the Pana 12-35mm f2.8. Has anyone used this combo and can give feedback?

I guess the kit lens would probably do all I want, but the speed of Leica glass does seems to spoil you!

By the way, I am familiar with both four thirds and m4/3. I still have the original EP-1 and the Pana 20mm.

Mike

jonoslack

Mine arrived today (black, body only). I had already purchased the Oly grip. Put my Pana 20/1.7 lens on it to start, but my main reason for getting the OMD is in body stabilization with manual focus Leica R and Nikon AIS lenses.....so I'll know if it's a keeper once I've tried those lenses on it. Still enjoy my Pana G1 and GH2.

Actually, I 'm sure I will keep it....the real question is whether I will like it enough to still be shooting with it 3 months from now.
Ha-very good analyses. I guess thats the main question for many of us on getdpi for many of those cameras.
Hi there Both
I also agree . . . but I've had mine for two months already - and it's still getting used - what's more, I like it more as time goes by . . . it has even graduated to a Luigi strap!!!!

jonoslack

A question if I may. I have a Leica M9 and some nice glass, but the Oly will be joining them soon because I sometimes want weather proofing when I hit the streets in our lovely British weather:D

I don't think I'll be going for primes. Instead I'm looking at the Pana 12-35mm f2.8. Has anyone used this combo and can give feedback?

I guess the kit lens would probably do all I want, but the speed of Leica glass does seems to spoil you!

By the way, I am familiar with both four thirds and m4/3. I still have the original EP-1 and the Pana 20mm.

Mike
Hi Mike
I don't think it's shipping yet (the 12-35) but it sounds great - but don't write off your Leica glass, mine get's used on the OMD.

I think the OMD is a perfect companion for an M9 - I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best

Mike Woods

Hi Mike
I don't think it's shipping yet (the 12-35) but it sounds great - but don't write off your Leica glass, mine get's used on the OMD.

I think the OMD is a perfect companion for an M9 - I hope you enjoy yours.

all the best
Thanks Jono, I was hoping you would pop by and comment. I need to make some calls to dealers - I'm seeing the lens listed at various sites, but I guess that might be what they call marketing....

I used Leica and CV lenses on the EP1 with a cheap adaptor. I'm looking forward to seeing what the CV 35mm f1.2 can do on the OMD :D But a weatherproof zoom is just so appealing at the moment to complement the M9 and primes.

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be many reviews of the OMD with M mount lenses, or maybe I need to look harder. Unlike the Nex-7...

Best wishes to you and your family.

Mike

Terry

Thanks Jono, I was hoping you would pop by and comment. I need to make some calls to dealers - I'm seeing the lens listed at various sites, but I guess that might be what they call marketing....

I used Leica and CV lenses on the EP1 with a cheap adaptor. I'm looking forward to seeing what the CV 35mm f1.2 can do on the OMD :D But a weatherproof zoom is just so appealing at the moment to complement the M9 and primes.

Interesting that there doesn't appear to be many reviews of the OMD with M mount lenses, or maybe I need to look harder. Unlike the Nex-7...

Mike
Mike - I think the 12-35 lens was released in Asia last week and should be hitting stores in Europe this week or next. US seems to be last on the list. I have an order for it direct from Panasonic and they were estimating early July about a month ago.

etrigan63

I am keen to get this lens as well but have to save up my shekels for it. I am hoping the price drops a bit soon. There is supposed to be a matching 35-100 f/2.8 as well. What I am truly hoping for is that Olympus ports their 4/3 SHG glass to m4/3 with a proper stepper motor for the OM-D's focus mechanism. Hopefully this won't rattle when the power is off ("idle rattle") like current designs. I haven't handled the Panasonic X lenses so I can't say whether they suffer from "idle rattle" or not.

BTW, my review of the OM-D will feature a lot of old OM glass.

jonoslack

Mike
Hi Mike
I must be honest and admit that I don't even have an M mount adapter for my OMD . . . I've got an M9 to put those lenses on. But I do have an R mount adapter, and I've been having really good experiences with the longer R mount lenses on the OMD

. . . and best wishes to you and yours too!

all the best

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am keen to get this lens as well but have to save up my shekels for it. I am hoping the price drops a bit soon. There is supposed to be a matching 35-100 f/2.8 as well. What I am truly hoping for is that Olympus ports their 4/3 SHG glass to m4/3 with a proper stepper motor for the OM-D's focus mechanism. Hopefully this won't rattle when the power is off ("idle rattle") like current designs. I haven't handled the Panasonic X lenses so I can't say whether they suffer from "idle rattle" or not.

BTW, my review of the OM-D will feature a lot of old OM glass.
Word is that the 4/3 SHG glass was proffered to Pros and the m4/3 is more of a mid range offering....I assume that when the SHG glass is gone there will not be a replacement at this level.

This does not attempt to incorporate the imponderable question of Olympus corporate solvency ....

So....my suggestion is to buy while the lenses are still available...

Bob