The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Terry

So....my suggestion is to buy while the lenses are still available...

Bob
Which is super risky as well as these lenses could be orphans. Right now I would only buy used 4/3. New the lens prices are sitting at high levels and resale now pretty much sucks having just sold a lens. Definitely a buyers market on used.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Word is that the 4/3 SHG glass was proffered to Pros and the m4/3 is more of a mid range offering....I assume that when the SHG glass is gone there will not be a replacement at this level.

This does not attempt to incorporate the imponderable question of Olympus corporate solvency ....

So....my suggestion is to buy while the lenses are still available...

Bob
Wait for the E-7. There are strong indications from Olympus that it's under development and the chances are that it's a hybrid 4/3-m4/3, hopefully a lot smaller than the E-5.

Oh... and I don't think the SHG lenses will die. They must have cost Olympus a fortune to develop and since they are probably more or less hand made anyway, doing a short run now and then doesn't cost them much but generates a healthy profit. I was also told by a dealer that the E-5 is still selling surprisingly well. He recently took in 10 bodies and they flew off the shelf in a few days.

sangio

Well, I finally received my black OM-D body and grip yesterday, so I'm still in the "fighting with the user interface" stage. It really is complex and somewhat frustrating, after the simplicity of the Panasonic G1.

A question that I haven't seen discussed is whether a screen protector is necessary. I didn't bother with the G1, but with the OM-D screen always exposed, I was thinking about it.

And the Panasonic cable release isn't compatible! Does anyone know if the Olympus USB RM-UC1 release will work on the OM-D?

Thanks
Santo

shadzee

This maybe helpful:
Olympus OMD Screen Pro Guard Review and Installation | Small Camera BIG Picture

Well, I finally received my black OM-D body and grip yesterday, so I'm still in the "fighting with the user interface" stage. It really is complex and somewhat frustrating, after the simplicity of the Panasonic G1.

A question that I haven't seen discussed is whether a screen protector is necessary. I didn't bother with the G1, but with the OM-D screen always exposed, I was thinking about it.

And the Panasonic cable release isn't compatible! Does anyone know if the Olympus USB RM-UC1 release will work on the OM-D?

Thanks
Santo

Joe Blackwood

I have used the Micro Solutions films on my GX1 and my new OM-D and would *highly* recommend them.
I have the Micro Solutions Film for the Olympus PEN E-P3 on my OMD and it's great protection and I don't even notice it's there.

The Micro Solutions Film for the OMD is out of stock at Amazon.

The Micro Solutions Film for the Olympus PEN E-P3 fits the OMD perfectly; it's usually in stock and it's $2 less than the film for the the OMD.

Amazon.com: Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Fingerprint Display Protection Film (Pro Guard AF) for Olympus PEN E-P3 // DCDPF-PGOLYMEP3: Camera & Photo

pophoto

For those who are looking to pick up the OMD EM5 in the US, mine had arrived safely from Green Mountain Camera. Out of stock from the usual online vendors, I took a chance from GMC, with little reseller ratings, but it's here! Battery is charging...

sangio

Thanks for the feedback.

For some reason, Amazon won't ship the Micro Solutions film to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't carry it. The Screen Patronus looks interesting.

The second day with the OM-D went much better now that I'm becoming familiar with the UI. I only got 200 shots out the battery, hopefully that will improve after a few cycles.... and still no sign of the back ordered battery.

cheers
Santo

limbonaut

I have an om-d and am largely happy with the camera. However, if the nex cameras had or will have the same focusing speed i wonder if i would not just combine an nex with the new rx100. I could use the la-ea2 for situations when i need absolute focus speed and accuracy for sports etc and have arguably better dynamic range and high iso performace as well as true pocketability with the rx.

Basically, as good as the om-d is, its is still a compramise (for me). I don't have built in flash. It has the hump which detracts from the packaging and the ergonomics without the grip are so-so. I know lens choice seems to be the raison d'etre of the m4/3 crowd but having used the sony lens line up i cant help but think its not that big of a chasm.

For now i have the om-d with 45, 20 and kit lens, but i find myself still yearning for the nex-7 i once had. I know that flows against the current but . . .

Brian Mosley

I've got an aversion to Sony as a brand, ever since I tried to get customer support for an mp3 player years ago. It's almost an irrational phobia, brought on by an awful experience.

You'd think that, given the reliability of mass produced electronic products such a company would appreciate the opportunity to build customer loyalty when their product fails.

Maybe Sony have changed more recently?

Cheers

Brian

etrigan63

Having owned both a NEX-7 and the OM-D, I personally prefer the ergonomics and performance of the OM-D. Granted, the NEX-7 has a bigger sensor, 50% more pixels, and very nice dynamic range, but the OM-D has more native lenses, faster AF, and better noise signature than the NEX-7. Also remember that the OM-D is essentially a v1.0 product, while the NEX-7 is 3rd generation. Should there be an E-M6 or 7 in the near future, it will surely incorporate everything that Olympus has learned from the E-M5.

To be honest, the only thing the OM-D needs right now to make it a "perfect" (for me) camera is a function similar to focus peaking.

Brian Mosley

The only thing the OM-D range needs to make it the perfect camera for me, is native focusing speed for 4/3rds lenses... Given the rapid rate of new lenses though, this is becoming a minority issue.

Cheers

Brian

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am thinking that the 12–35 on the OM-D will be the ultimate travel setup, having just returned from Thailand (nothing special to show, sorry).

I did have my OM-D lock up at the worst possible time (4-member family on single Honda 90 alongside my taxi—lockup Hell!), so am looking forward to getting Jim's grip (that allows instant dropping of a battery, like dropping a clip from a pistol).

I will probably get a second body; I have sold the other small-form cameras as noted previously, but for some reason am still hanging on to the GXR (I guess one reason is that its flash triggers strobes completely unproblematically, and the 50 macro is a great little setup).

@ etrigan: the Sony/Panny lenses are so good, IMHO, that I will be selling all my CV lenses—I do not feel that the IQ/signature/drawing difference is enough to forgo the convenience of fast AF, so do not need peaking, personally.

My OM-D lens lineup is the 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, and the stellar 45/1.8 (and the 45/2.8 macro). I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.

I do hope that Olympus solves the lockup problem, but apart from that, I like this little toy.

jonoslack

I am thinking that the 12–35 on the OM-D will be the ultimate travel setup, having just returned from Thailand (nothing special to show, sorry).

I did have my OM-D lock up at the worst possible time (4-member family on single Honda 90 alongside my taxi—lockup Hell!), so am looking forward to getting Jim's grip (that allows instant dropping of a battery, like dropping a clip from a pistol).

I will probably get a second body; I have sold the other small-form cameras as noted previously, but for some reason am still hanging on to the GXR (I guess one reason is that its flash triggers strobes completely unproblematically, and the 50 macro is a great little setup).

@ etrigan: the Sony/Panny lenses are so good, IMHO, that I will be selling all my CV lenses—I do not feel that the IQ/signature/drawing difference is enough to forgo the convenience of fast AF, so do not need peaking, personally.

My OM-D lens lineup is the 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, and the stellar 45/1.8 (and the 45/2.8 macro). I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.

I do hope that Olympus solves the lockup problem, but apart from that, I like this little toy.
HI Kit
interesting thoughts - I wasn't aware of the lockup problem - my camera hasn't done it in some 4000 shots - I guess it only happens under some circumstances?

I'm also considering a second body, but must sell my NEX7 kit first.

As for lenses - at the wider end I'm right with you - no reason to use CV or Leica glass . . . but at the longer end, I've been having a lot of fun with Leica R glass (60 macro - 180 Apo f2.8 - 80-200 f4 zoom). They are fantastic on the OMD and have a zing which I don't seem to be getting from the equivalent focal lengths.

The lack of focus peaking is a pity - on the other hand there is a definite and obvious 'effect' with in-focus areas - a kind of reduction of saturation / increase of contrast. In practice I've been getting very good results focusing manually without the (to me) disturbing zooming in and out.

all the best

pophoto

I will probably sell the Panny-Leica 25/1.4, if anyone's interested; I feel the convenience/ergonomics of the 20/1.7 outweighs any IQ advantage.
While I understand the zoom argument, you might regret selling the Pan Leica when you do have the zoom!

RichA

First m43 body that I like enough to keep. Sold Nikon V1 and Sony NEX-7. Adding lenses to the Olympus to fill out the kit. This is the camera I wish Nikon had made.
Nikon apparently didn't want a mirrorless cannibalizing DSLR sales. At least not their mirrorless.

Mike Woods

Kit, has this happened to you again since?

I've experienced this twice now, on both days since getting my OMD. Once yesterday, camera wouldn't wake from 'sleep' and had to drop the battery and reinsert before it recovered. Then again three times today; twice it failed to wake from sleep, and once it failed to turn on from off....again reinserting the battery brought it back to life.

I'm alternating between two genuine Oly batteries, and have experienced this with both.

Incidentally, I got 116 shots from a full charge today. The batteries have already undergone a single discharge/charge cycle.

Mike