The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

Knorp

Mike, Kit,

Make sure the camera did not power-down by menu setting !
It happened to me a couple of times as well.
Simply switching the camera off and back on should do the trick.
Otherwise prevent the camera from powering down in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this solves your lock-ups.

All the best.

Hosermage

+1, Bart. I haven't seen that problem since I disabled turning off in menu. I get good battery by just letting it sleep, and I'll turn it off when I really want it off.

Terry

The only thing the OM-D range needs to make it the perfect camera for me, is native focusing speed for 4/3rds lenses... Given the rapid rate of new lenses though, this is becoming a minority issue.

Cheers

Brian
But you keep sitting on the fence and not getting it? :watch:

Mike Woods

Mike, Kit,

Make sure the camera did not power-down by menu setting !
It happened to me a couple of times as well.
Simply switching the camera off and back on should do the trick.
Otherwise prevent the camera from powering down in the first place.

I'm pretty sure this solves your lock-ups.

All the best.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll certainly give it a try, but worth mentioning that when it happened I couldn't turn the camera off and back on. I'm seeing quite a few similar comments on that other site :)

Mike

Braeside

Hi folks, Just got an OM-D last week when I took at trip up north and visited FFordes to take in my Sony lenses for sale. (I made the mistake of picking up and trying the OM-D in the shop) :D

This has got to be the most confusing camera menu system I have encountered, normally I can figure out anything with the help of the manual in an emergency.

Anyway, I still have one query that is bugging me. I am trying to have the EVF/LCD auto switching on AND get the Review of the photo I have taken appear on the LCD Display once I take my eye from the EVF.

I read that if I have Rec View set to Auto it should work provided I remove my eye from the EVF once the Review appears in the EVF, however for me that does not work, I never get the Review on the LCD.

Any clues?

Brian Mosley

And what do you think Oly puts into a "pro-grade" that the OMD can't do?
Breasts

LOL, sorry, had to leave that uncorrected... Predictive text will be the death of me!

I meant to say beats me... I guess it can't be the modular camera design touted on some rumor sites, since the OM-D shape seems well defined.

Has to be high speed focus tracking, it's the only 'feature' separating the E-M5 from the conventional pro-dslrs, and seems in line with the roadmap I've seen published by Olympus. Maybe they'll put a better EVF in there too.

Cheers

Brian

jonoslack

A battery life observation -
I was shooting pink tractor ladies today . . . . . I still only have the one battery. So I had other cameras . . . . Anyway, I took 637 shots with the OMD - plenty of chimping. The battery is still saying it's 2/3 full (I don't believe it, but the fact that I got 636 shots is quite a big surprise).
First time I've used it for a real gig - no idea how well it worked (yet).

all the best

Mike Woods

A battery life observation -
I was shooting pink tractor ladies today . . . . . I still only have the one battery. So I had other cameras . . . . Anyway, I took 637 shots with the OMD - plenty of chimping. The battery is still saying it's 2/3 full (I don't believe it, but the fact that I got 636 shots is quite a big surprise).
First time I've used it for a real gig - no idea how well it worked (yet).

all the best
Blimey, 500 more than me :confused: I can only hope things improve.

Mike

Braeside

Anyway, I still have one query that is bugging me. I am trying to have the EVF/LCD auto switching on AND get the Review of the photo I have taken appear on the LCD Display once I take my eye from the EVF.

I read that if I have Rec View set to Auto it should work provided I remove my eye from the EVF once the Review appears in the EVF, however for me that does not work, I never get the Review on the LCD.

Any clues?
Have solved this, I wasn't waiting long enough. Another way is to keep the shutter pressed before taking eye away from the EVF, stop pressing the shutter button, and then (eventually) the review appears on the LCD.

mathomas

I'm so glad to hear all the positives about this camera. I kind of hated the way it looked at first, esp. compared to the film OMs (like that matters), but it's growing on me.

I probably won't switch from Sony (A55, and maybe an A77 at some point), but it certainly seems like a viable platform for Olympus, and a great example of m43.

GaryAyala

I shoot two FF cameras for my "serious" stuff and a GF1 for the lees-than-serious images. I recently purchased two OM-D's hoping I can retire my FF cameras.

The only reason I have for not retiring the FF's is superior tracking by the FF's and lack of long, fast lenses for µ4/3. Other than that, the OM-D is an exceptional camera.

I'm still very long on the learning curve with the Oly menu's and camera particularities ... but I think it's a keeper.

G

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ Mike W.,

Yes, unfortunately. I am hoping a firmware update will fix. I think there's some interaction between the sleep and auto-off function that I have not worked out yet, and I intend to keep paying with this. I have ordered Jim's grip (that has the battery cutout) in the meantime as a 'solution'. cheers, KL

raist3d

And what do you think Oly puts into a "pro-grade" that the OMD can't do?
- extended ISO 100
- 1/8000th shutter speed
- maybe finally support for fast AF on 4/3rd lenses
- sensor tweaked just a little more for an extra 1/3rd ev DR/Noise high iso
- JPEG engine even better at getting sharp details, etc.
- Better continuous AF
- Better ergonomics (if not like E-3/E-5 ;-) )
- Probably fully articulated LCD
- Probably slightly better IBIS
- Bigger continuous shooting RAW buffer
- Dual SD card setup with backup options
- Better battery life (with one or two batteries)
- More art filters? :)

- Raist

Brian Mosley

- extended ISO 100
- 1/8000th shutter speed
- maybe finally support for fast AF on 4/3rd lenses
- sensor tweaked just a little more for an extra 1/3rd ev DR/Noise high iso
- JPEG engine even better at getting sharp details, etc.
- Better continuous AF
- Better ergonomics (if not like E-3/E-5 ;-) )
- Probably fully articulated LCD
- Probably slightly better IBIS
- Bigger continuous shooting RAW buffer
- Dual SD card setup with backup options
- Better battery life (with one or two batteries)
- More art filters? :)

- Raist
...and partridge in a pear tree. :loco:

Sounds horrendous... Could be ideal for a 'Pro' though, what do I know?

Cheers

Brian

Knorp

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll certainly give it a try, but worth mentioning that when it happened I couldn't turn the camera off and back on. I'm seeing quite a few similar comments on that other site :)

Mike
Bummer - experienced a genuine lock-up yesterday morning. My first ... :cry:
Camera wouldn't budge, whatever I tried.
EVF remained dark while the LCD showed some vaque markings.
So battery out and back in brought it back to life.
No further issues after this one during the whole bl.... hot day. :cussing:
And no idea what caused the camera to lock-up.

All the best.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Bummer - experienced a genuine lock-up yesterday morning. My first ... :cry:
I've not had one yet - but it seems to me that pretty much all cameras do it at some time or another - at least, most of the one's I've had do.

Were you doing anything unexpected?

I guess taking the battery out is more of a bother if you've got the grip on.