The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's the story so far? OMD-EM5

pophoto

I've read reviews and I've seen the pictures posted! However, I'm still undecided about it!

So... what's the ultimately conclusion for those who still have it and use it often, since no one really says explicitly!

Is it the best thing since sliced bread, or is I'll play with is for now, or I can't wait for the Lumix solution!

Thanks
Po

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hey Po,

I sold the NEX-7 and the GXR is the next on the block—and the OM-D stays. Excellent lenses, workable UI, excellent EVF, and lovely files.

V

Vivek

I've read reviews and I've seen the pictures posted! However, I'm still undecided about it!

So... what's the ultimately conclusion for those who still have it and use it often, since no one really says explicitly!

Is it the best thing since sliced bread, or is I'll play with is for now, or I can't wait for the Lumix solution!

Thanks
Po
I await the GH-3. Until then the GH-2s do a fabulous job (well the G1s have not died either and are still working well).

If the GH-3 comes with a "tilt- only" LCD, then it may be the OM-D. By that time, the prices would have stabilized as well. As is it is too expensive, IMO.

jonoslack

Vivek
I really love mine . . . . I've had it since April 30th - IMAGINE - nearly 6 weeks and I still like it!

V

Vivek

Vivek
I really love mine . . . . I've had it since April 30th - IMAGINE - nearly 6 weeks and I still like it!
Hi Jono,

I think our preferences vary markedly right from the G1 ( I loved it, you dumped it quickly. ). I am happy for Olympus for having come up with a camera with an integrated EVF, after all these years. It is fabulous looking and handling and all that.:thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Have mine since 1st May and love it!

Nikon V1 is gone as are some other stuff. Will become my main system - actually it is already.

Might also cancel my D800E - not decided yet but lot of thinking that way.

Amin

Love mine. It's the first camera I've owned where I had my dad and brother both get it too.

simonstucki

As I love manual focus I was determined to only buy another camera if it came with peaking. but after reading several reviews and thoughts about the camera and after looking at lots of pictues from the camera I couldn't restist and ordered it and i hope it will be shipped soon. It will probably be my main camera (have a d7000 which I will probably keep but probably only use for very specific stuff)
I'm also looking forward to the GH3 but I think the om-d won't be made completely obsolete by the GH3. I expect the GH3 to be better in many points, but I have a feeling, that the GH3 won't be the so complete and refined. I don't really now how to express myself but I just think the om-d is a great compromise between size, ergonomics and feel, viewfinder quality image quality and cost that is just very very hard to beat. I think the gh3 can only beat the olympus in all points if it will be quite a bit more expensive. and that's not really playing fair and just means you get what you pay for. In ohter words, I don't think the gh3 will make the om-d obsolete, I'm very much hoping that it will not be something that aims to replace the om-d but something that completes the system (much like the way it is now with the higher quality lenses for mft).

sorry I wen't a bit off topic here.

bcaslis

First m43 body that I like enough to keep. Sold Nikon V1 and Sony NEX-7. Adding lenses to the Olympus to fill out the kit. This is the camera I wish Nikon had made.

nostatic

Sold my 5D2 and NEX-5n. Really like the OMD though I wish I could find the grip as I'd like a bit more room for my hand. Beyond that, very fun to shoot and now that Aperture supports the raws, the files are great.

pophoto

It's nice coming back to this thread with so many replies, obviously the OMD-EM5 has struck a note or even a tune with some of you! A HUGH "thank you" to you all!

Now sometimes, it's a camera that strikes a good balance of everything that become successful, the OMD might be this camera, but is there one quality that sings with you?
Is it the overall IQ, the size or the handling?

I know I love using a small flash with a modifier on my Canon 5Ds, which makes many images stand out to my personal taste. So far tested with other cameras to lesser success. This is by far one of my biggest reasons I am with Canon right now. However, is this the camera that does it for you, or is just the one you feel fits the casual side of things really well?

I know Kit L. has shared some notes with Ming Thein, and Jono takes new cameras by the month :p Any new discoveries worth sharing here that makes it for you?

JMaher

Nothing really stands out except the size and IS, and maybe the fold out screen, or the weight, or maybe the lens choices.:) Really nothing stand out and that is good.

No reason you can't use this with a flash and a modifier. I already tried it with a Radio Popper JR and and flash to see how that would work. It's no different than my 5D2 in that respect.

Jim

sangio

I was going to wait until the GH3 arrived to upgrade my two G1's, but decided to order an OM-D and the grip for an upcoming trip to the US southwest.

If the GH3 has the same body style as the GH2 and a fully articulating LCD, I may trade the OM in.... or maybe not... I'll decide after using the Oly for a bit.

I didn't order the kit lens because I really, really want that 12-35 .....

Cheers
Santo

bcaslis

Now sometimes, it's a camera that strikes a good balance of everything that become successful, the OMD might be this camera, but is there one quality that sings with you?
Is it the overall IQ, the size or the handling?
Single thing? No, it's the combination of the following:

Great EVF
Great build, lots of controls
Very good/ Great IQ
Weather sealing
Wireless Flash
Good lens selection with some outstanding prime lenses

No other mirrorless offers all these and any DSLR with these is both more expensive and much larger.