The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official Olympus 75mm f1.8 images here

jonoslack

Shhhhhhh David
I haven't ordered one, and I was planning not to - so I don't need to look at things like this!

Good Though!

kwalsh

An important note on this for others:

Check out the link even if you have before, there is a fourth portrait sample that is new. This same link had three images back at announcement and was posted a lot of places, sometime in the past day or so they've added a fourth sample image.

Ken

Hosermage

Hi, I have a stupid question... how useful is a prime telephoto lens? Personally, I'd get prime normal or wide lenses, but I would always want zooming on the long end. But I guess it's difficult to find a fast and long lens that has zoom?

biglouis

Hi, I have a stupid question... how useful is a prime telephoto lens? Personally, I'd get prime normal or wide lenses, but I would always want zooming on the long end. But I guess it's difficult to find a fast and long lens that has zoom?
David

As a Leica owners you should already know the answer to this! :D:D

Personally, with the exception of my 7-14 I always shoot with primes. They will generally be much higher quality than zooms. What you should consider is the ability to crop which is generally better with primes than zooms for high quality work, say fine art versus less demanding work.

Mid-range zooms are particular good for landscape work. You often think you need wide but in fact you want to isolate and pick out features in a landscape that draw the viewer in. Is my theory, anyway. So I often work with 50mm and 90mm effective focal lengths on my GH-2 and I also used (When I had it) my 90/2.8 on my M8 quite extensively.

A 75/1.8 which is actually an effective 150mm lens can probably be cropped significantly giving you an effect doubling like a zoom, if you aren't intending on large prints.

Of course you lose the versatilty of a zoom and you are slowed down because if you need a different focal length you (obviously) have to swap lenses.

Swings and roundabouts. Not sure a 75 (e.g. 150) is particularly high on my list of focal lengths to own. I'm surprised that Olympus did not go for a more convential mid-sized zoom equivalent to 135mm on a 35mm camera.

LouisB

jnewell

David

As a Leica owners you should already know the answer to this! :D:D

Personally, with the exception of my 7-14 I always shoot with primes. They will generally be much higher quality than zooms. What you should consider is the ability to crop which is generally better with primes than zooms for high quality work, say fine art versus less demanding work.

Mid-range zooms are particular good for landscape work. You often think you need wide but in fact you want to isolate and pick out features in a landscape that draw the viewer in. Is my theory, anyway. So I often work with 50mm and 90mm effective focal lengths on my GH-2 and I also used (When I had it) my 90/2.8 on my M8 quite extensively.

A 75/1.8 which is actually an effective 150mm lens can probably be cropped significantly giving you an effect doubling like a zoom, if you aren't intending on large prints.

Of course you lose the versatilty of a zoom and you are slowed down because if you need a different focal length you (obviously) have to swap lenses.

Swings and roundabouts. Not sure a 75 (e.g. 150) is particularly high on my list of focal lengths to own. I'm surprised that Olympus did not go for a more convential mid-sized zoom equivalent to 135mm on a 35mm camera.

LouisB
Almost 40 years ago I went around Europe with a 24mm and a 135mm. It worked pretty well, but 135mm was sort of pushing it. 150mm might have been too much. :(

CPWarner

Pretty impressive actually. They state that "The Olympus 75mm ƒ/1.8 is one of the sharpest lenses we've ever tested. It is tack-sharp even wide open at ƒ/1.8, gets a little sharper through to ƒ/8, and stays sharp even stopped down to ƒ/16." The data supports that as well.

I have an order in and can not wait to get it. The only negative to me is that Olympus expects us to buy the hood separately. I guess that is our donation to their "investment" fiasco recovery plan.

Cliff