The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 14-45 on OM-D E-M5?

Tim

Has anyone got any samples or has tried the Panasonic 14-45mm lens (metal mount version) on the OM-D?.
Any reason why it shouldn't be a good lens for the OMD?
I ask because of the reported issue with the 20mm and because I'd rather just keep the m43 optics I have an team it up.

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Has anyone got any samples or has tried the Panasonic 14-45mm lens (metal mount version) on the OM-D?.
Any reason why it shouldn't be a good lens for the OMD?
I ask because of the reported issue with the 20mm and because I'd rather just keep the m43 optics I have an team it up.

Thanks in advance.
I use one without problems. CA can be troublesome but can be eliminated by Lightroom 4.1

Straight out of camera, only resized for web. ISO 200 45mm f5.6 1/40th sec

kwalsh

The only annoyance would be that Olympus doesn't do automatic CA correction like Panasonic. If you shoot RAW and process in LR either using a lens profile or just the automatic CA correction this isn't an issue. If you shoot JPEG only this is more of a bother, you'll suddenly notice CA on the Olympus that you never saw on a Panasonic.

Ken

Tim

Thank you guys so very much for the replies. I am looking for some jpgs from camera so after your information here I think I will look at a kit, camera with lens. I can then evaluate the CA results.

This has been very helpful and was something I didn't consider.

Tim

Thanks Rich, I am seeing much more detail in the left image, just look at the wood picket fence.
IMO the Panasonic is much better. Are these the correct labels?

No waterproofing but that's not high on my list.

RichA

Thanks Rich, I am seeing much more detail in the left image, just look at the wood picket fence.
IMO the Panasonic is much better. Are these the correct labels?

No waterproofing but that's not high on my list.
Yes, I've done a number of tests, the Panasonic is the top lens. I've compared the 14mm prime with the zoom and the zoom appears as good, perhaps better, depending on the aperture.

kwalsh

Yes, I've done a number of tests, the Panasonic is the top lens. I've compared the 14mm prime with the zoom and the zoom appears as good, perhaps better, depending on the aperture.
I've done the same test (14 prime vs. 14-45) and as you say they are nearly equivalent. Besides minor variances at different apertures you'll also find minor trade-offs in the region of the image inspected (softer edges traded for sharper center). In the end it is a wash - at least with my two lenses.

RichA

I've done the same test (14 prime vs. 14-45) and as you say they are nearly equivalent. Besides minor variances at different apertures you'll also find minor trade-offs in the region of the image inspected (softer edges traded for sharper center). In the end it is a wash - at least with my two lenses.
Imagine if they could crush the 14-45mm down to the size of the 14mm prime!