Site Sponsors

Thread: Old Oly 4/3rds 40-150mm on E-M5

Post Thanks / Like

Old Oly 4/3rds 40-150mm on E-M5

Upside. It works very well optically, stop it down a stop or so and it produces very good images. The shot below was taken over 500ft through heat waves, since it was 34 C. here today in Toronto.
    Downside: 2 seconds to lock focus, then, press shutter, wait 1.5 seconds and then it fires! NOT an action lens! But for $85.00 plus a free adapter (Olympus deal) it's fine.
    P.S.: The old 4/3rds lenses do NOT focus on my Panasonic G1!

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Oly 4/3rds 40-150mm on E-M5

Rich: Thanks for the reality check. I've got one of these 40-150 lenses, and I've liked it very much on my old E-510 and current E-30. I'm seriously considering an OM-D, so it's nice to hear from someone who's actually used it. Oly America confirmed that the lens would work, now you've told me *how* it will work. Sounds like it's not for action, but fine for static subjects.

Have you tried manual focus? Does the camera fire immediately when you press the shutter in that case?

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    Rich: Thanks for the reality check. I've got one of these 40-150 lenses, and I've liked it very much on my old E-510 and current E-30. I'm seriously considering an OM-D, so it's nice to hear from someone who's actually used it. Oly America confirmed that the lens would work, now you've told me *how* it will work. Sounds like it's not for action, but fine for static subjects.

Have you tried manual focus? Does the camera fire immediately when you press the shutter in that case?

--Peter
    As it turned out, it was an error on my part. There is no delay between shutter button push and shutter firing. I had been using the camera's 2 second delay earlier...and forgot to turn it off!

Post Thanks / Like

No worries, Rich. With all the options on today's digital cameras, we *all* do things like that sometimes.