The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Seriously!

Godfrey

Not the story told on other forums. In order to cut costs, Olympus consolidated their service to fewer (or one) location and the experience/turn around time has deteriorated.
I haven't had need to call them for anything in a a couple of years now. Last I spoke with the service folks at Olympus USA was some time in 2010. To the limits of my direct experience, they've been good to work with.

Overall, service and support across the industry has gone to crap in the past 15 years or so. I remember when I could send a Nikon to their repair facility in SoCal and have it back in hand with a perfect job done in at most five days ... and that was without a Nikon Professional Services account.

Godfrey

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Customer support will vary from country to country, but some of it also reflects the attitude of the manufacturer. While I've never had problems getting different accessories for the Panasonic cameras here, the GH1 has now spent 4 months at Panasonic without as much as a quotation for the repair. With Fuji, Nikon and Olympus, I get a quotation within 2 days and the longest repair has taken 2 weeks.

I'm not treating my cameras nicely, but most of them have stood the test of abuse over time, except the GH1 which one day simply wouldn't power on. Compare that to my D80 which had been beaten, used in the rain numerous times, dropped etc., and when it finally developed some electronic hiccups after a rainstorm, Nikon changed the electronics and the broken top panel for less than $200 and in less than two weeks on a model that was discontinued years ago.

And since I'm on a morning crusade against Panasonic anyway: The obvious thing to do when my GH1 stopped working would have been to buy a GH2. I do after all have 3 original Panasonic batteries for the GH1, bought for a whopping $100 a piece. Unfortunately for me, they don't use the same battery. Another alternative, the G3, use yet another battery, my L1 another one and the L10 (which I considered as a supplement to the L1) a fifth type. I can see no other reason for such a battery policy than extorting more money from the customer. Except in this case, the customer is going elsewhere (unless I buy a used Panabody to be able to get more back from my battery investment).

Terry

Customer support will vary from country to country, but some of it also reflects the attitude of the manufacturer. While I've never had problems getting different accessories for the Panasonic cameras here, the GH1 has now spent 4 months at Panasonic without as much as a quotation for the repair. With Fuji, Nikon and Olympus, I get a quotation within 2 days and the longest repair has taken 2 weeks.

I'm not treating my cameras nicely, but most of them have stood the test of abuse over time, except the GH1 which one day simply wouldn't power on. Compare that to my D80 which had been beaten, used in the rain numerous times, dropped etc., and when it finally developed some electronic hiccups after a rainstorm, Nikon changed the electronics and the broken top panel for less than $200 and in less than two weeks on a model that was discontinued years ago.

And since I'm on a morning crusade against Panasonic anyway: The obvious thing to do when my GH1 stopped working would have been to buy a GH2. I do after all have 3 original Panasonic batteries for the GH1, bought for a whopping $100 a piece. Unfortunately for me, they don't use the same battery. Another alternative, the G3, use yet another battery, my L1 another one and the L10 (which I considered as a supplement to the L1) a fifth type. I can see no other reason for such a battery policy than extorting more money from the customer. Except in this case, the customer is going elsewhere (unless I buy a used Panabody to be able to get more back from my battery investment).
Have you called them? Have you written to Panasonic corporate? Ask for the camera returned to make sure they haven't simply lost it? I certainly wouldn't sit back and wait 4 months.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have you called them? Have you written to Panasonic corporate? Ask for the camera returned to make sure they haven't simply lost it? I certainly wouldn't sit back and wait 4 months.
While Nikon, Canon, Olympus and Fuji all have walk-in service centres in Bangkok, Panasonic doesn't have that. The camera shop, which I visit regularly, has contacted them on numerous occasions. They tell me that my camera is not the only one. I suspect that it's a company policy. Repairing cameras doesn't generate any profit for them while selling new ones does. Most people are so used to electronic products that stop working that they simply don't care. Reputation? Nowadays, it's all about marketing.

Many consumer printers are programmed to stop working after a certain number of prints (A message appears saying that the ink waste tank is full, and when you take it to a service centre, they tell you it's too expensive to change or that it can't be done). I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing that with cameras as well. Maybe it's already happening :shocked:

Ever heard about the Phoebus cartel?

Brian Mosley

Interesting reference Jorgen, thanks for that... I hate the whole idea of planned obsolescence, hope it doesn't find a place in digital camera design. I just think the Panasonic design is a bit fragile in this case, although the battery policy isn't doing them any favours.

Good luck finding your camera/ getting it repaired.

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To say something positive about Panasonic: I liked the ergonomics and the image quality of the GH1 a lot, and I used it as a travel camera as well as for paid work. Obviously, it wasn't designed for that and I seem to remember that Panasonic at some occasion stated that it hadn't been their intention to make still cameras for professional use. I still use the L1 a lot and it's my travel camera for the time being. The L10 delivers even better image quality, as long as one stays at ISO 200 or lower, and I'm still considering one for use with the excellent 4/3 lenses. So while I hate their policies, the image quality that can be had from cameras now sold second hand for $300 or thereabouts is absolutely great :thumbup:

Terry

I wasn't looking for you to say something positive about Panasonic. It was more a matter of getting more aggressive about your camera sitting there for four months.

Paratom

"I think now is a good time, for users and camera/lens manufacturers alike to take m43s seriously because ..."

I've been thinking about this sentiment for a while now, and have longed for a full-frame mirrorless, and now realize how much it doesn't really make sense in the long run, because of added weight and size of lenses. While I know others are not on the page that's okay, that's what is great about this world, variety!
However, if you share the same sentiment, please share a little insight about your own mileage and foresight please!

It's fun to share after all! :)

Thanks
Po
Here is my opinion:
If I use full frame I prefer a DSLR with optical viewfinder.
Now for m4/3 the EVF makes perfect sense - because the optical viewfinder for that sensor size would be too small to be really usefull.
I still believe that one can often easily see IQ-advantage of larger sensors in regards of color depth, tonality, and of course more flexibility to play with shallow DOF.
I do browse for example regulary the Fujy x-pro image thread and also the OMD image thread - and yes, there are very good images i both threads...but talking just of IQ there are more "wowers" in ther Fuji thread (IMO).
So for my taste I really like the OMD for the very good IQ, the speed, weatherproof, small, affordable and good lenses.
But I still would want also one camera with a larger sensor.
Cheers, Tom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Adding my opinion:

1) m43 grew really out of baby age with the OMD. I like this camera, the built in EVF and the small size of even very good lenses. Limiting factors for "serious" work, where I do not want to get into anything hindering between my idea and the final photo is not so much IQ (which I think is excellent from the OMD) but size over all. In these cases I at least prefer a FF DSLR.

2) The APSC cameras are not really better IQ wise as the OMD, I myself am also pretty underwhelmed by the highly praised Fuji X1 Pro and I also find that all other APSC DSLRs are kind of too bulky to bring the real compactness advantage of the OMD and IQ difference to the OMD is virtually non existent any longer. On the other side they are not large enough so they can fulfill my demands for good operability - see 1)

3) For real demanding work my D800E with it's lovely 100% OVF and some selected glass will be my main tool. For the moments when I really need to nail the shot and need high resolution. It might replace finally my H3D39 but not sure yet about this and I am also keeping my foot in the MFD door, as I know Hasselblad is coming with some great news for next Photokina.

For the moment I am happy with OMD and D800E, each for it's own purpose.

kweide

For me and my working style the E-5 or any other cam in this "size" category, APS-C of FF cams, were always obstacles between me and the subject. My work is often steered by close contact to get into dramatic views or effects without having the backgrounds compressed like when using telelenses. So the small OM-D is the perfect machine for me, beside my little E-P3. And i am so happy that both uses the same lenses :). I am close to the action, Thanx Olympus !!

Terry

Adding my opinion:

2) The APSC cameras are not really better IQ wise as the OMD, I myself am also pretty underwhelmed by the highly praised Fuji X1 Pro and I also find that all other APSC DSLRs are kind of too bulky to bring the real compactness advantage of the OMD and IQ difference to the OMD is virtually non existent any longer.
Interesting but after shooting the two camera side by side on my trip, there is a visible difference between the two files.

jonoslack

Interesting but after shooting the two camera side by side on my trip, there is a visible difference between the two files.
Yes - I'd agree - there is a difference- but of course, you're comparing Fuji Primes against m4/3 zooms? How does the comparison go when you use a lens like the 60 R elmarit?

I guess the $10000 question is:

Does the improved IQ of the Fuji more than make up for the improved ImageContent possible using zoom lenses on the OMD?

.... and what about the shooting experience?

all the best

Brian Mosley

Terry, I did ask on that other forum about your impressions of the kit lens image quality on the E-M5?

I think I'll be using the ZD 14-54mm mk II with the E-M5 + grips.

Cheers

Brian

V

Vivek

Joergen:

Fully agree with you on Pana's battery policy. They are, presumably, the #1 battery makers in the world. :ROTFL:

When they did manipulations to disable 3rd party batteries on G1, they showed their real colors. :angry:

On repairs: They will have to replace the entire board (the only one) in GH-1 to fix the problem. Cheaper for them to send you a new GH-1 or better make you buy a new camera. Sony is in the similar league. A broken NEX-5N gets a repair cost quote higher than the current (new) prices, albeit very quickly. Making the choices very clear. :rolleyes:

Terry

Yes - I'd agree - there is a difference- but of course, you're comparing Fuji Primes against m4/3 zooms? How does the comparison go when you use a lens like the 60 R elmarit?

I guess the $10000 question is:

Does the improved IQ of the Fuji more than make up for the improved ImageContent possible using zoom lenses on the OMD?

.... and what about the shooting experience?

all the best
Well, I took both on my trip so that should pretty much answer the question about IQ vs image content. However, on both my series of poppies and my Palouse shots I got comments from people that looked at both that they preferred the look from my Fuji.

I haven't used the 60 macro on the Fuji yet.

Personally, I like shooting the Fuji, I like the controls, I like the aperture on the lens, I like the info layout in the EVF.

But bottom line I have both and they compliment each other. It would be cool to have one as FF and the other as m4/3 but that hasn't happened and for me the Fuji does better than the M9.

Paratom

Well, I took both on my trip so that should pretty much answer the question about IQ vs image content. However, on both my series of poppies and my Palouse shots I got comments from people that looked at both that they preferred the look from my Fuji.

I haven't used the 60 macro on the Fuji yet.

Personally, I like shooting the Fuji, I like the controls, I like the aperture on the lens, I like the info layout in the EVF.

But bottom line I have both and they compliment each other. It would be cool to have one as FF and the other as m4/3 but that hasn't happened and for me the Fuji does better than the M9.
Do you feel you are faster with x-pro than with the M9?

Terry

Terry, I did ask on that other forum about your impressions of the kit lens image quality on the E-M5?

I think I'll be using the ZD 14-54mm mk II with the E-M5 + grips.

Cheers

Brian
I just sold the 14-54mm. Shipped yesterday :D.
Compared to the kit lens the focus is very slow.
The extra 2mm from 14-12 is pretty useful. The fact that the lens is pretty slow (aperture) is not.
From an IQ perspective I haven't pixel peeped the lens. I haven't printed super huge and what I've shot so far, image content will trump absolute resolution.

I also have the 12-35x on order. My plan is to keep the 12-35, 35-100 combo along with the 12-50. My current gap between 50 and 100 was actually pretty noticeable on this trip. (I had 7-14, 12-50, 100-300) I'm hoping the 35-100 will also allow for an as of yet - not even in the rumor mill, teleconverter.

Terry

Do you feel you are faster with x-pro than with the M9?
Depending on the situation, yes Fuji faster than M9 (I only owned M8). The M9 is great, but I'm not tempted. So, I don't spend time thinking about the IQ differences.

I'm pretty content right now.

Paratom

Depending on the situation, yes Fuji faster than M9 (I only owned M8). The M9 is great, but I'm not tempted. So, I don't spend time thinking about the IQ differences.

I'm pretty content right now.
From what we see in the Fuji image thread it doesnt look like there is any reason to think about IQ-it just looks very good to me.