Site Sponsors

Thread: rumour of 2 new Oly lenses at Photokina

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rumour of 2 new Oly lenses at Photokina

Are they really sure many want a f2.8-f4.0 12-60mm lens? It's liable to cost over $1200.00 if it matches the optical quality of the current 12-60mm on 4/3rds cameras and unless they do some really fancy design work, it might be almost as large as the 4/3rds unit. Maybe sacrificing a stop (f4.0-f5.6) might produce a more manageable lens, both in-terms of price and size?

Post Thanks / Like

The 50mm EVOF space is getting crowded now... a relatively compact 65mm f/2.5 macro (1:2 is enough, imho) would be a welcome addition. I guess a low priced 25/1.8 does make sense, though, since the 20/1.7, 25/1.4 and 25/.95 are rather pricy compared to CaNikon 50mm lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

A 2.8-4/12-60 m43 would be one of my favorite lenses if they can make it small enough.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    A 2.8-4/12-60 m43 would be one of my favorite lenses if they can make it small enough.

Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Are they really sure many want a f2.8-f4.0 12-60mm lens? It's liable to cost over $1200.00 if it matches the optical quality of the current 12-60mm on 4/3rds cameras and unless they do some really fancy design work, it might be almost as large as the 4/3rds unit. Maybe sacrificing a stop (f4.0-f5.6) might produce a more manageable lens, both in-terms of price and size?
    HI Rich - Peter
    Making it slower and smaller just turns it into the existing 12-50 kit lens doesn't it? Which is fantastically useful, but not as good IQ as the 12-60.

Like Peter, I'd love such a lens, and don't see why it shouldn't be the same sort of size as the Panasonic 12-35, which would be fab!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Rich - Peter
    Making it slower and smaller just turns it into the existing 12-50 kit lens doesn't it? Which is fantastically useful, but not as good IQ as the 12-60.

Like Peter, I'd love such a lens, and don't see why it shouldn't be the same sort of size as the Panasonic 12-35, which would be fab!

all the best
    That's another question. If the Panasonic 14-45mm matches or beats such a lens, I'd easily give up the cost and speed of the 12-60mm and the extra 2mm and keep the Panasonic. Reason I mention it is that I took a shot through the 12-60mm with the E-M5 and it was somewhat soft wide open. But I can't pronounce any real verdict on it because I didn't use it enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    That's another question. If the Panasonic 14-45mm matches or beats such a lens, I'd easily give up the cost and speed of the 12-60mm and the extra 2mm and keep the Panasonic. Reason I mention it is that I took a shot through the 12-60mm with the E-M5 and it was somewhat soft wide open. But I can't pronounce any real verdict on it because I didn't use it enough.
    I never used the 12-60 on any m43 body, but I used it on the E5 and this was one of the best and sharpest lenses over the complete range (zoom as well as aperture) I ever shot.

So I would really love to see a m43 version and also would be willing to pay more money for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have never used the 12-60 on a m 4/3 but on my old E-3 it was just a fantastic lens. Maybe the best zoom of its type I have used.

Jim

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had both Panasonic 14-45 and Olympus 12-60. While Panasonic zoom is a good lens, it is not as good as the Olympus. The extra range of the Olympus zoom in both wide and tele ends are very desirable. I fully agree with Jim that 12-60 is one of the best zoom lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer an Olympus 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 over the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 simply to have the greater range in one lens. I loved my former Canon 24-105mm L f4.0 which had great range for a single lens. I may wait on the Panasonic 12-35 to see if this is real before spending the cash on the Panasonic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    I would prefer an Olympus 12-60 f/2.8-4.0 over the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 simply to have the greater range in one lens. I loved my former Canon 24-105mm L f4.0 which had great range for a single lens. I may wait on the Panasonic 12-35 to see if this is real before spending the cash on the Panasonic.
    I agree. The Nikkor 24-120/4 VR has mediocre image quality, but the range is very useful. A 12-60/4 from Oly, with similar quality to the 4/3 lens would be excellent if small/light enough.