The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's what on the OMD!

pophoto

Well from what I've experienced so far, only Pan lenses on the Oly OMD chatter, I'm still yet to experience it on my Pan Leica 45mm on it though (still lack of use). And it's not just a zooming related issues since my prime don't and can't zoom.... wouldn't it be something if it could though :p LOL

sangio

A quick update on the ZD 9-18 chatter on the OM-D:

I took this combo to a quiet outdoor area, and while I could hear the chatter with the camera up to my eye for shooting, it wasn't obtrusive, and after a few minutes, I could ignore it.

The Panasonic 45-200 had the same chatter when zooming, and I could hear the AF motor, normally silent, when it was locking focus. *What's really odd is that when I got home and tried again, both zoom and focus on the 45-200 were completely silent. *All I had done in the interim was power down the camera.

The Lumix 14-45 has two very soft clicks when zooming, but I have to hold it up to my ear to hear it.

As I mentioned earlier, none of these lenses chatter while I'm walking about, nor do they chatter with changing light conditions. *I can aim them from deep shade to bright sunlight without a peep from them. *

The noise doesn't bother me enough to swap lenses or return the OM-D, but I do wonder about the longer term wear and tear on the moving parts, whatever they are.

Regards
Santo

Maggie O

Regarding the chatter, it happened to me a few times on the PL25. However, I was able to avoid it mostly by shooting in the Aperture-priority mode. I think that keeps the camera from constantly adjusting the aperture, which causes the chatter (I think). While in A-mode, though, it once got stuck in chattering, but then I turn it off and turn back on and all was normal again. Lucky, that A-mode is my preferred mode anyway, just need to make sure you set the ISO limits and shutter limits.
I'll have to try that with the DG Summilux which started chattering in the middle of my walk yesterday and wouldn't stop.