The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's what on the OMD!

pophoto

I'd thought I'd start this thread. Since I have had my OMD for a couple of days, I have noticed a few things, especially with the lenses I put on the camera.

Lenses I own: Oly 12/2, 45/1.8. Pan 25/1.4, 45/2.8, 20/1.7.

Only lens I am yet to mount is the 12/2.
What I have I noticed thus far with the OM-D EM-5: Yes, the IBIS is noisy, but a non-issue as far as the humming goes, although it does chatter and that is more worrying.

Pan 25/1.4: AF is quickest of the set, wonderful lens! IBIS can chatter a fair bit, you need to just completely change the distance of focus to get it out of the chatter cycle I think it gets stuck in at a certain focus distance and all you do is rotate the camera about your wrist to keep it chattering!

With the 45/1.8: AF is fairly quick, I'm not sure I have heard the IBIS chatter, and definitely a lot quieter in operation. Smoother too, almost you don't really know it's there sort of thing!

Pan 20/1.7: I always want to love this lens for the size and speed, however, it is somewhat slower (noticeably) to focus compared to the other lenses. Looks great on it, especially with the grip on! :)

Pan 45/2.8: I love this lens also! Not much to say, it performs well used on the Pan Lumix GX1, and equally well on the OMD. This like my work lens, usually to take photos of gear I'm selling on Ebay:) IBIS is especially handy, although I haven't used it enough to notice any chatter yet.

Here's a few thing to start this thread off...

Quirks or a few things I noticed about the OMD:
Firstly, I got to say, I LOVE the grip! I normally never use one, now I don't want to take it off! Defeats the size/purpose I know. Works well with just one battery in the hand grip and none in the camera!
Now the camera has way too many things to pull off, like hot-shoe protector, hand grip metal contact rubbers and protectors etc. I'd almost of wanted a slide door, now I've just pulled everything off and kept it in a zip-lock!

Battery got me 270 exposures before I saw the red battery blink, and decided to charge up, may have gotten some more, we will NEVER KNOW NOW! :)

Screen is great, and don't have issues with the EVF speeds, although when I do pull the camera up to my eye, I often overshoot, as with usual OVF, you see the light coming through, while the EVF takes a short time to respond, since it's dark!

Okay, I must admit, I haven't looked into the custom menus yet and assigning the Fn buttons.

Now, for some question:
I can adjust the size of the focus square( rectangle) in live view mode via touch screen, but how do you do it via EVF (dials and buttons)?

And how do I make this settings stick?

Anyways, before I bore you all to death, I'll like to learn from you guys who have been using this camera longer.

Thanks in advance,
Po

PS. Something about this camera, makes you want to pick it up and keep shooting with it! Especially the hand grip, did I mention about the hand grip?

Knorp

I
PS. Something about this camera, makes you want to pick it up and keep shooting with it! Especially the hand grip, did I mention about the hand grip?
Yes you did and so did I !

:D

Not much complaining here about noise or chattering, but perhaps I'm getting a little deaf.
It's just a darn good camera, I love it !

All the best.

Hosermage

Regarding the chatter, it happened to me a few times on the PL25. However, I was able to avoid it mostly by shooting in the Aperture-priority mode. I think that keeps the camera from constantly adjusting the aperture, which causes the chatter (I think). While in A-mode, though, it once got stuck in chattering, but then I turn it off and turn back on and all was normal again. Lucky, that A-mode is my preferred mode anyway, just need to make sure you set the ISO limits and shutter limits.

pophoto

I only shoot in AP mode :)
(most of the time anyways)

Actually the only thing is shutter adjusting itself.

sangio

As for the focus square size, if you resize it with the touch screen, then bring the camera up to your eye, it will keep the same size in the EVF. As for reszing it in the EVF, I have not found a way to do this.

As for making the smaller focus square stick, there were a number of comments in an earlier thread that this is not possible, and one person returned his OM-D because of this.

As for the grip, the top part is great, and it centers the tripod socket on the lens axis making stitched panos less troublesome. But it blocks the battery door.
The additional battery compartment does make hand-held verticals easier, it allows the use of a second, acessible battery, but I don't care for the overall handling. And the tripod socket is WAY off-axis. I probably wonn't use the bottom piece very much.

I've found that the RRS camera plate for the G1 has enough adjustment that it can be used on tha OM-D body or the top portion of the grip. There's almost a half inch of overhang, but it's not obtrusive if you position it to the front, under the lens.

Regards
Santo

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
To Santo and others: if you have set up the smaller rectangle using the touch screen, and have turned the camera off, when you turn it back on, the standard-sized rectangle returns by default.

But a single (quick) press of the Fn2 button (if you have it set in Button Function menu to the magnifying glass icon) will immediately return you to whichever of the three smaller settings you chose before you switched the camera off.

In this way, the setting can be recalled with a single e button press—pretty close to being 'sticky' IMHO.

KL

jnewell

To Santo and others: if you have set up the smaller rectangle using the touch screen, and have turned the camera off, when you turn it back on, the standard-sized rectangle returns by default.

But a single (quick) press of the Fn2 button (if you have it set in Button Function menu to the magnifying glass icon) will immediately return you to whichever of the three smaller settings you chose before you switched the camera off.

In this way, the setting can be recalled with a single e button press—pretty close to being 'sticky' IMHO.

KL
Aaaaahhhhh...should have realized that - thank you! :clap:

sangio

Thanks Kit, that's a great tip.

One comment/question about the bottom part of the grip. I've noticed that the small rubber door for the external power supply keeps popping open on its own, even when sitting on my desk. Not ideal for weather sealing. Has anyone else seen this, and will the rubber soften with time and remain sealed? Or should I just return it?

Regards
Santo

popum

When I use a small focus square I loose the highlight/shadow blinkies. Is there a way to have both the small square and the blinkies?

Knorp

Thanks Kit, that's a great tip.

One comment/question about the bottom part of the grip. I've noticed that the small rubber door for the external power supply keeps popping open on its own, even when sitting on my desk. Not ideal for weather sealing. Has anyone else seen this, and will the rubber soften with time and remain sealed? Or should I just return it?

Regards
Santo
Hi Santo,

the locking mechanism of this rubber door is definitely not firm, rather flimsy I'd say.
This door in my grip stays closed though.
Take it back to your dealer if you're not happy with it.

All the best.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ popum,

Not as far as I know; on mine when I activate the smaller focus rectangles I lose the blinkies too. I will check this again later.

sangio

You know what's not on the OM-D? My Lensbaby tilt adapter. There isn't enough clearance under the viewfinder hump. That's disappointing, I've been using that adapter with a Nikon 55mm macro lens for a while now and really like that combination. Looks like I'll have to keep a G1 in my camera bag as well.

Regards
Santo

Diane B

I'm sorry to hear that. I use mine with a Nikkor 35/2 and occasionally a 24/2.8. IF I buy an EM5 though, I do plan to keep my G3 to use with a second lens occasionally.

sangio

I'm sorry to hear that. I use mine with a Nikkor 35/2 and occasionally a 24/2.8. IF I buy an EM5 though, I do plan to keep my G3 to use with a second lens occasionally.
Hi Diane,

I have a 24/2.8 as well but it won't lock onto the Lensbaby. I assume it's due to slack manufacturing tolerances. The 55/3.5 works well with this adapter.

If you do get an EM5, I highly recommend getting the grip. The handling is greatly improved. I had a problem initially with the rubber door over the external power plug popping open, but after opening/closing it a dozen times, it stays closed. If you don't need the additional battery or vertical shutter release, Jim's aftermarket grip looks really good, and 1/3 the price.

Regards
Santo

sangio

Regarding the chatter, it happened to me a few times on the PL25. However, I was able to avoid it mostly by shooting in the Aperture-priority mode. I think that keeps the camera from constantly adjusting the aperture, which causes the chatter (I think). While in A-mode, though, it once got stuck in chattering, but then I turn it off and turn back on and all was normal again. Lucky, that A-mode is my preferred mode anyway, just need to make sure you set the ISO limits and shutter limits.
Speaking of chatter.....
I just tried the 4/3 version of the Oly 9-18, with a Panasonic adapter, on my OM-D, and it chatters like an angry chipmunk while zooming. This happens only when zooming, and in all modes, even Manual.
The lens is silent on the G1, except for the AF motor. I'm not sure there's much I can do other than replace the lens, which is otherwise fine.
Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks
Santo

jonoslack

Hi Santo
Not until the 12-35 Panasonic, which I got today, and which seems to be prone to aperture chatter - I guess it'll have to go back, but I'll give it the weekend.

sangio

Hi Santo
Not until the 12-35 Panasonic, which I got today, and which seems to be prone to aperture chatter - I guess it'll have to go back, but I'll give it the weekend.
Hi Jono;

That was going to be my next lens. How bad is the chatter? and is it constant?
The 9-18 behaves oddly, it only chatters when zooming. It's quiet when just carrying the camera, and changing light levels don't induce chatter, so I might be able to tolerate it.

I noticed that Fuji issued a firmware update that reduced the chatter on some of their lenses, so hopefully Olympus will do the same for the 12-35.

BTW, nice images from the pink tractor event.

Cheers
Santo

Diane B

Santo, if I understand, the chatter happens as you zoom? As you shoot, no issue? Just carrying it, no issue?? I have the ZD9-18 that I use with a converter also and have decided not to replace it with the m4/3 version, at least for now. This would be the first Oly lens I've heard of that chatters--all the rest have been Panny lenses.

sangio

Santo, if I understand, the chatter happens as you zoom? As you shoot, no issue? Just carrying it, no issue?? I have the ZD9-18 that I use with a converter also and have decided not to replace it with the m4/3 version, at least for now. This would be the first Oly lens I've heard of that chatters--all the rest have been Panny lenses.
Hi Diane;

Yes, that's correct. It only chatters when the zoom ring is turned. Carrying it around and taking a shot is the same as on the G1. The AF motor squeak is the same as on the G1. AF speed isn't any faster than on the G1.

Perhaps I'm getting used to it, but it doesn't seem as loud as when I first mounted the lens. It's about the same noise level as the AF motor when it focuses.
I think it should be ok outside. I'm going to give it a good testing this weekend and write an update.

I continue to be amazed with the IBIS.

Regards
Santo