Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

Just received the 12-35 and I'm quite impressed with the performance. It was actually less expensive buying it from DigitalRev than dealers in the USA.

A couple of sample shots taken today at the farmers market:
    Pink pond lily

There was some heavy purple fringing along the beams adjacent to the bald sky in this market shot, but easily removed in LR.

and one trial shot with a Hoya R72 filter for IR. Handheld 1/4 sec f/2.8 ISO 400:
    Last edited by scho; 18th July 2012 at 12:36.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carl, Agree about the PF with this lens, LR does a good job with it tho'. I need to get a bigger R72 filter!

One from today in the glasshouse where I sheltered from the torrential rain:

David Anderson
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Hi Carl, Agree about the PF with this lens, LR does a good job with it tho'. I need to get a bigger R72 filter!

One from today in the glasshouse where I sheltered from the torrential rain:

Nice colors in the Fuchsia shot David. You are still dealing with torrential rain and we have a record heat wave and drought - the climate is not very temperate anymore. I already had the 58mm R72 for an earlier camera. IR with the OMD is pretty good and no hot spot problems with the 12-35 either. IBIS really helps out here for hand held shooting.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know about the IR performance Carl. I only have a 52mm IR filter at present, may invest in a larger one. Not been too much IR around here recently though!
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Carl,

Your 12-35mm pictures look good; I'm especially fond of the second one. But your pictures always look very clean and sharp. I think it is not only the lenses but also the way you process them. Iv'e got the same Contax lenses as you, but I'm not able to get the same sharpness as you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Just received the 12-35 and I'm quite impressed with the performance. It was actually less expensive buying it from DigitalRev than dealers in the USA.
    There was some heavy purple fringing along the beams adjacent to the bald sky in this market shot, but easily removed in LR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carl's pictures do look good. However this is a gear forum and you can't get away with saying someones skills are why a picture looks good .

However my problem is that I can't afford all the new gear. The 12-35 and the new Olympus 75 both look good and I have already spent too much on this camera. Pretty soon I am going to have to sell some Canon lenses just to stay in the game.

Jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Hi Carl,

Your 12-35mm pictures look good; I'm especially fond of the second one. But your pictures always look very clean and sharp. I think it is not only the lenses but also the way you process them. Iv'e got the same Contax lenses as you, but I'm not able to get the same sharpness as you out of them.
    Thank you Annna. Nothing special for processing really, I do most in LR and usually apply about 30-50 clarity adjustment and default landscape capture sharpening which is 40, 0.8, 35.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Carl's pictures do look good. However this is a gear forum and you can't get away with saying someones skills are why a picture looks good .

However my problem is that I can't afford all the new gear. The 12-35 and the new Olympus 75 both look good and I have already spent too much on this camera. Pretty soon I am going to have to sell some Canon lenses just to stay in the game.

Jim
    I also have to turn over stuff to get the new gear. I just sold a bunch of gear including my Canon 5DII, L lenses, Fuji X100, Pentax kit, and Ricoh GXR kit. Only Canon lens I have left is the 24mm TS-E II which I will not likely sell. NEX kit is probably going next and then I'll be down to just the XP1 kit and OMD for digital gear.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also have to turn over stuff to get the new gear. I just sold a bunch of gear including my Canon 5DII, L lenses, Fuji X100, Pentax kit, and Ricoh GXR kit. Only Canon lens I have left is the 24mm TS-E II which I will not likely sell. NEX kit is probably going next and then I'll be down to just the XP1 kit and OMD for digital gear.
    Me too - I've been selling off all my Sony and Zeiss gear - NEX7 went yesterday, rest of the lenses and the A77 off to ebay on Sunday.

I'll be left with the M9, and the OMD (rather similar to you I guess).

On the other hand, there's something quite refreshing about being satisfied with both the results, and with the operation of both cameras.

all the best

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Me too - I've been selling off all my Sony and Zeiss gear - NEX7 went yesterday, rest of the lenses and the A77 off to ebay on Sunday.

I'll be left with the M9, and the OMD (rather similar to you I guess).

On the other hand, there's something quite refreshing about being satisfied with both the results, and with the operation of both cameras.

all the best
    I agree Jono. I'm quite pleased with the OMD and XP1 and my wife is also happy to have reclaimed some valuable closet space .
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I expect this is the same road I will go down too. I think its time to divest of my Canon gear. I'm really happy with the EM5 thus far after I figured out some issues, all self inflicted LOL. Too long with other systems or other mfg in m4/3.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Diane
    I really liked the Sony kit - no complaints . . . but there are plenty of decent m4/3 lenses now, added to which, the IBIS makes shooting with 3rd party lenses easy and fun. Sure, it isn't a D800 . . . But it seems to do decent BIG prints, so I'm not sure why one needs to carry a ton of kit anymore . . unless, perhaps, you're shooting sport.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The OMD and 12-35 are quite a combo. Just got my 12-35 today. This last year has really filled out the quality glass in m4/3. I think the 12-35 is a keeper.

True these are expensive. I did sell off my GH2 and some older zooms to make way for the OMD & 12-35, including a 14-140 and the original 14-45 Panasonic lenses. But glad I did. Now to get some time to get out to shoot...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane
    I really liked the Sony kit - no complaints . . . but there are plenty of decent m4/3 lenses now, added to which, the IBIS makes shooting with 3rd party lenses easy and fun. Sure, it isn't a D800 . . . But it seems to do decent BIG prints, so I'm not sure why one needs to carry a ton of kit anymore . . unless, perhaps, you're shooting sport.
    I agree and I don't shoot sport or even wildlife. I'm a terrible procrastinator about selling gear for one thing, but also its sort of like a security blanket I guess LOL. You end up hanging onto it even when its just a tattered corner left--because it makes you feel you'll be okay in any case

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Annna. Nothing special for processing really, I do most in LR and usually apply about 30-50 clarity adjustment and default landscape capture sharpening which is 40, 0.8, 35.
    Thank you Carl, there was quite a long time I wanted to ask that question. I'm also using LR mostly and sharpening more or less like you. But where we differ is with the clarity slider : most of the time I limit myself to 17-25 range. I always feared to increase noise rather than useful details. I'll give it a try. Do you use aggressive noise reduction after going so high with the clarity slider ?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Thank you Carl, there was quite a long time I wanted to ask that question. I'm also using LR mostly and sharpening more or less like you. But where we differ is with the clarity slider : most of the time I limit myself to 17-25 range. I always feared to increase noise rather than useful details. I'll give it a try. Do you use aggressive noise reduction after going so high with the clarity slider ?
    No noise reduction. The 30-50 clarity setting is usually only a problem with very high ISO or underexposed, shadow areas. I only use higher clarity for landscapes, not for portraits or high key subjects.
    Carl
    Gallery

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So the inevitable question: Do I really want this lens or is it just GAS? My OM-D came with the 14-42, which is light and small, but I wanted the macro, so I got a 12-50, too. Now, I like the macro functionality of that lens, but don't really love it. Aside from the wider aperture, is the IQ of the 12-35/2.8 making you all happy enough to carry the extra weight (and price)? Is the AF speed as snappy or snappier than the 12-50? The examples posted here are lovely, but that's mostly the photographers, right?

Thank you all,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    So the inevitable question: Do I really want this lens or is it just GAS? My OM-D came with the 14-42, which is light and small, but I wanted the macro, so I got a 12-50, too. Now, I like the macro functionality of that lens, but don't really love it. Aside from the wider aperture, is the IQ of the 12-35/2.8 making you all happy enough to carry the extra weight (and price)? Is the AF speed as snappy or snappier than the 12-50? The examples posted here are lovely, but that's mostly the photographers, right?

Thank you all,

Matt
    I wonder about this myself. I will say that with Canon my 24-70 was on the camera a lot. OTH, I have the 25/1.4 and 45/2.8. Do I need this or not? And--I have the quite nice 14-45/3.5-5.6 AND the kit lens for the EM5, the 12-50 (which I planned to sell but may keep for a travel lens with the 25 for low light).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane, Matt.
    Whether you want the 12-35 or not is not a question I can answer, it certainly isn't an alternative to the macro on the 12-50. On the other hand, I've had lots of 24-70 f2.8 equivalent lenses, most have weighed around 1kg (2lbs) sure, the dof isn't the same on the Panasonic, but it's just as good in every other respect, we were walking back from the pub in the rain, and I forgot I even had the camera and lens slung over my shoulder.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The 12/35 is 90 gms heavier than the 12-50, but it is also 9mm shorter. That should make it a more comfortable combo I think.

I am concerned about the front element on the 12-50; it is very exposed and I worry that I will scratch it. A hood or clear filter seems necessary for protection.

Is the 12-35 front element sitting in danger as well?

I was taken aback that the 12-50 didn't come with a hood.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not see it as I needed the 12-35. I used 24-70 f2.8 lenses a lot myself in the past and I liked the image quality I got from those zoom lenses. A 12-35 and 35-100 would be a fantastic pair that would cover a huge range in a relatively small package. I also have the 12-50 that came with the OMD. It may get some use, but not much now that I have the 12-35.

In terms of size, the 12-35 is shorter than the 12-50 by a lens mount. It is wider and a little heavier. However this is nothing compared to 2 lb full frame lenses. I am very happy with the lens so far and can not wait for the 35-100 to be out. The 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 would be an awesome 3 lens kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    The 12/35 is 90 gms heavier than the 12-50, but it is also 9mm shorter. That should make it a more comfortable combo I think.

I am concerned about the front element on the 12-50; it is very exposed and I worry that I will scratch it. A hood or clear filter seems necessary for protection.

Is the 12-35 front element sitting in danger as well?

I was taken aback that the 12-50 didn't come with a hood.
    Tom, I bought a hood for the 12-50 from Rainbow Imaging for about $14--Ebay. Its the same hood as the mZD9-18. Of course a knock off but it works fine IMO. Square hood (shape tickled me after the discussoin about square hoods in another thread).

The 12-35 being a Panasonic lens, I bet it comes with a hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

The 12-35 being a Panasonic lens, I bet it comes with a hood.
    It does.....the not so sexy, but functional petal hood.

The lens element (in response to a prior question) is not exposed and I just put a filter on it today anyways.

R

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few from a walk along the waterfront trail with OMD and 12-35 Panasonic.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today....

The combination of zoom and f/2.8 helped a lot.....

R
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Rich,

Great images! Were those with an underwater housing or at an aquarium? I am asking as I am looking into a housing for my OMD and am looking at ports for various lenses. Curious about what others are using.

Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No noise reduction. The 30-50 clarity setting is usually only a problem with very high ISO or underexposed, shadow areas. I only use higher clarity for landscapes, not for portraits or high key subjects.
    Many thanks for all the good advices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    Rich,

Great images! Were those with an underwater housing or at an aquarium? I am asking as I am looking into a housing for my OMD and am looking at ports for various lenses. Curious about what others are using.

Cliff
    Thanks Cliff.....they were shot at an aquarium. I did not know housings had been developed yet for the OM-D.

Good luck in your search.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Thanks Cliff.....they were shot at an aquarium. I did not know housings had been developed yet for the OM-D.

R
    Those shots were really informative since I know how hard it is to get decent shots in an aquarium. I'm trying not to covet the lens too much as after buying the EM5 I need to lie low for a bit

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely Anemomies Rich . . .
    here are some domestic shots:

Garlic and Ginger

Cracked

St Emilion for supper

Just this guy you know
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely Anemomies Rich . . .
    here are some domestic shots:

Garlic and Ginger

Cracked

St Emilion for supper

Exactly what I meant on other thread . I esp. like the cracked eggs. But, not being a Brit, I wondered about the last shot, or really the objects.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Exactly what I meant on other thread . I esp. like the cracked eggs. But, not being a Brit, I wondered about the last shot, or really the objects.
    Hi Diane
    Thank you! I like to try and take simple things which resonate. Not sure the world in general is so interested though. The difficulty is changing the specific to the general and still leaving something.

As for the wine. I bought some 2006 st emilion for dinner, and it turned out it would have been better in 2020, so I decanted it first thing to let it breathe for a few hours. The covers are to avoid drinking pickled flies.

All the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Moire generator. Plastic mesh screen used as a backstop on the daycamp archery range.

Gull gathering - (I think they were discussing the warning signs along the lake advising against going in the water because of herbicide treatments.)

Rowing club boats with "nose" protectors.

Old umbrellas

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Wonderful lens... haven't been out lately, so some grab shots from around my property...

G3 and 12-35/2.8

G3 and 12-35/2.8

E-M5 and 12-35/2.8

Grandson came to visit

And a crop from the above image... check out the detail in the word "Founder" which was rendered in the lower right corner of the lens.
    I was shocked to see the detail rendering in this zoom lens... I'd say it's in prime territory.

Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few more from around the property...

Don

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My 12-35 has arrived
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, like the old umbrellas shot especially.

Don, wonderful old property! The automobile especially, not to mention your own temple.

Ario congratulation on the new arrival(s).

Rich, I must take a trip to our aquarium now as well.

Jono, hope the wine was fine after that. I had no idea what the covers were either Diane!
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Don, you have some phenomenal shots here! I really loved the one with all the leafs with the EM5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post

R
    Great shots for through glass at an aquarium! That is always challenging.

Olympus has shown their housing and Nauticam has released a housing as well. The Nauticam housing looks really good, but at $1300 + ports for various lenses, this gets expensive very quickly. But what underwater system doesn't...

Post Thanks / Like

Some really good stuff here. I've wondered about my use of that lens as I have the 12, 14, 20 and 45.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Rawfa... thanks, buddy, I'm glad you appreciate the images. Kudos to Panasonic for designing and producing the 12-35, which is a superb lens for our beloved format.
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

As we all know, the hyperbole is muted here compared to dpreview forums. However, the 4/3 forum there has a couple threads complaining of CA (with samples). What is the experience of the members of the Sane and Rational Photographers Posting at Getdpi? Is it true that it is ugly present when shooting on the OM-D or other Oly body, but not on Pannys due to in camera correction?

Quote from the review at slrgear: "The lens offers excellent resistance to chromatic aberration. If there is any to be noted at all, it appears most at the wider end of the lens' zoom range - 12mm - and is quite subtle, appearing as magenta fringing on areas of high contrast. It shows up only in the extreme corners. At other focal lengths and apertures, it is very hard to notice." I think they were testing on a Panasonic body.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    As we all know, the hyperbole is muted here compared to dpreview forums. However, the 4/3 forum there has a couple threads complaining of CA (with samples). What is the experience of the members of the Sane and Rational Photographers Posting at Getdpi? Is it true that it is ugly present when shooting on the OM-D or other Oly body, but not on Pannys due to in camera correction?

Quote from the review at slrgear: "The lens offers excellent resistance to chromatic aberration. If there is any to be noted at all, it appears most at the wider end of the lens' zoom range - 12mm - and is quite subtle, appearing as magenta fringing on areas of high contrast. It shows up only in the extreme corners. At other focal lengths and apertures, it is very hard to notice." I think they were testing on a Panasonic body.
    I saw those threads and wondered later if the shots had been raw or just jpeg. In raw it would have been irrelevant I would think. The lens is sort of on my wish list so I am following it. Since I've been a Panny shooter for several years I hadn't thought much about CA and so far none has intruded with EM5 and any lens so I haven't gotten to check it out in LR.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you guys are really doing a great job with that lens.

I got mine last week. I've got no complaints about image quality, funny noises, or really anything else.

However, referring back to earlier responses, it will never replace the 25mm Summilux for me. I used the 12-35mm all last weekend, and must say that I just plain prefer prime lenses. The 35mm maximum focal length is a little short for me, too.

I've made a couple of posts about the lens on my blog, but am planning to return it.

Again, you all are making great images with the lens, which I have come to expect. It's just not the lens for me. I'll stick with my primes.

Reed
    My Lumix Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had the lens for a few days, and I love everything about it... except my pictures. Here's one I kinda like. 15 seconds braced against a window sill:

It's amazing how much personality lenses have. Shooting at f/9, you wouldn't think that there'd be a difference between an f/2.8 lens and an f/6.3, and yet they sure seem to have individual characters.

Or it's all delusion... Yup. I'm going with delusion.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I carried a bag full of primes and ended up using the 12-35mm for most of the day.

R
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

HI Santo - well, it pi55ed down just before we started the ride - but we had a great time,

Here are a few shots from today:

Saul's back for the weekend:

ISO 3200
    Like the first shot.

El Raist.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Taken on my way to get my daily dry double cappuccino and peanut butter cookie.

E-M5; 12-35mm f/2.8; 12mm;1/400s @ f/6.3; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 12-35mm f/2.8; 13mm;1/500s @ f/7.1; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

E-M5; 12-35mm f/2.8; 35mm;1/500s @ f/7.1; -1/3 EV; ISO 200

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

couldn't find the lens in the USA, so used forum leads and ordered it from Hong kong on Tuesday. It showed up today, and that was with an addressing delay. it does come with a hood

amazing

will have to get some shots of my bourbon bottles, garlic and eggs right away!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a chance to use this lens and the Oly 12-50mm? Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Italian Pub
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net