The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

sangio

Hi David
Apart from the odd noises - nothing - obviously the smaller sensor means that the depth of field is bigger . . .but that's one of the reasons why I have m4/3; if I want narrow depth of field then I'll use full frame.

As far as the image quality is concerned, first feelings are that it's right up there - nice presence, good colour, very sharp (even wide open), better bokeh. Possibly the corners aren't quite as good at 24mm equivalent.

Sony/Zeiss: 955gms £1400
panasonic: 350gms £900
So Jono, now that you've had the lens for a few days, is the image quality enough for you to ignore the odd noises?
This lens doesn't appear to be available in Canada just yet.

regards,
Santo

Braeside

Haven't noticed any particularly odd noises from the lens so far, so quite happy with it.

One from a walk around a cloudy Newburgh yesterday.

Haven't noticed any particularly odd noises from the lens so far, so quite happy with it.

One from a walk around a cloudy Newburgh yesterday.

Seems to be a very good lens, I wanted to give it a try but unfortunately here is not available yet and the local distributor is not in a position to predict when it will be.

Braeside

Hi Ario, It is rather nice, some slight CA at 12mm which is easily corrected in Aperture or Lightroom. Sorry it isn't available for you yet, hopefully not too long.

I'm still getting used to the large of DOF on m4/3 as this is my first such camera using the format. Also bought the small 45/1.8 and love it. Hanging on to the 12-50 for video and general use and closeups, it isn't too bad at all. The Panny 100-300 is fine for the long end.

I'm now quite happy, feel no need of a fast normal lens, or of a super super wide angle zoom, as I very rarely use such things.

scho

Just received the 12-35 and I'm quite impressed with the performance. It was actually less expensive buying it from DigitalRev than dealers in the USA.

A couple of sample shots taken today at the farmers market:
Pink pond lily

There was some heavy purple fringing along the beams adjacent to the bald sky in this market shot, but easily removed in LR.

and one trial shot with a Hoya R72 filter for IR. Handheld 1/4 sec f/2.8 ISO 400:

Last edited:

Braeside

Hi Carl, Agree about the PF with this lens, LR does a good job with it tho'. I need to get a bigger R72 filter!

One from today in the glasshouse where I sheltered from the torrential rain:

scho

Hi Carl, Agree about the PF with this lens, LR does a good job with it tho'. I need to get a bigger R72 filter!

One from today in the glasshouse where I sheltered from the torrential rain:

Nice colors in the Fuchsia shot David. You are still dealing with torrential rain and we have a record heat wave and drought - the climate is not very temperate anymore. I already had the 58mm R72 for an earlier camera. IR with the OMD is pretty good and no hot spot problems with the 12-35 either. IBIS really helps out here for hand held shooting.

Braeside

That's good to know about the IR performance Carl. I only have a 52mm IR filter at present, may invest in a larger one. Not been too much IR around here recently though!

Annna T

Hi Carl,

Your 12-35mm pictures look good; I'm especially fond of the second one. But your pictures always look very clean and sharp. I think it is not only the lenses but also the way you process them. Iv'e got the same Contax lenses as you, but I'm not able to get the same sharpness as you out of them.

Just received the 12-35 and I'm quite impressed with the performance. It was actually less expensive buying it from DigitalRev than dealers in the USA.
There was some heavy purple fringing along the beams adjacent to the bald sky in this market shot, but easily removed in LR.

JMaher

Carl's pictures do look good. However this is a gear forum and you can't get away with saying someones skills are why a picture looks good :).

However my problem is that I can't afford all the new gear. The 12-35 and the new Olympus 75 both look good and I have already spent too much on this camera. Pretty soon I am going to have to sell some Canon lenses just to stay in the game.:)

Jim

scho

Hi Carl,

Your 12-35mm pictures look good; I'm especially fond of the second one. But your pictures always look very clean and sharp. I think it is not only the lenses but also the way you process them. Iv'e got the same Contax lenses as you, but I'm not able to get the same sharpness as you out of them.
Thank you Annna. Nothing special for processing really, I do most in LR and usually apply about 30-50 clarity adjustment and default landscape capture sharpening which is 40, 0.8, 35.
Carl's pictures do look good. However this is a gear forum and you can't get away with saying someones skills are why a picture looks good :).

However my problem is that I can't afford all the new gear. The 12-35 and the new Olympus 75 both look good and I have already spent too much on this camera. Pretty soon I am going to have to sell some Canon lenses just to stay in the game.:)

Jim
I also have to turn over stuff to get the new gear:cry:. I just sold a bunch of gear including my Canon 5DII, L lenses, Fuji X100, Pentax kit, and Ricoh GXR kit. Only Canon lens I have left is the 24mm TS-E II which I will not likely sell. NEX kit is probably going next and then I'll be down to just the XP1 kit and OMD for digital gear.

jonoslack

I also have to turn over stuff to get the new gear:cry:. I just sold a bunch of gear including my Canon 5DII, L lenses, Fuji X100, Pentax kit, and Ricoh GXR kit. Only Canon lens I have left is the 24mm TS-E II which I will not likely sell. NEX kit is probably going next and then I'll be down to just the XP1 kit and OMD for digital gear.
Me too - I've been selling off all my Sony and Zeiss gear - NEX7 went yesterday, rest of the lenses and the A77 off to ebay on Sunday.

I'll be left with the M9, and the OMD (rather similar to you I guess).

On the other hand, there's something quite refreshing about being satisfied with both the results, and with the operation of both cameras.

all the best

scho

Me too - I've been selling off all my Sony and Zeiss gear - NEX7 went yesterday, rest of the lenses and the A77 off to ebay on Sunday.

I'll be left with the M9, and the OMD (rather similar to you I guess).

On the other hand, there's something quite refreshing about being satisfied with both the results, and with the operation of both cameras.

all the best
I agree Jono. I'm quite pleased with the OMD and XP1 and my wife is also happy to have reclaimed some valuable closet space :).

Diane B

I expect this is the same road I will go down too. I think its time to divest of my Canon gear. I'm really happy with the EM5 thus far after I figured out some issues, all self inflicted LOL. Too long with other systems or other mfg in m4/3.

Diane