The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

jonoslack

Hi Diane
I really liked the Sony kit - no complaints . . . but there are plenty of decent m4/3 lenses now, added to which, the IBIS makes shooting with 3rd party lenses easy and fun. Sure, it isn't a D800 . . . But it seems to do decent BIG prints, so I'm not sure why one needs to carry a ton of kit anymore . . unless, perhaps, you're shooting sport.

CPWarner

The OMD and 12-35 are quite a combo. Just got my 12-35 today. This last year has really filled out the quality glass in m4/3. I think the 12-35 is a keeper.

True these are expensive. I did sell off my GH2 and some older zooms to make way for the OMD & 12-35, including a 14-140 and the original 14-45 Panasonic lenses. But glad I did. Now to get some time to get out to shoot...

Diane B

Hi Diane
I really liked the Sony kit - no complaints . . . but there are plenty of decent m4/3 lenses now, added to which, the IBIS makes shooting with 3rd party lenses easy and fun. Sure, it isn't a D800 . . . But it seems to do decent BIG prints, so I'm not sure why one needs to carry a ton of kit anymore . . unless, perhaps, you're shooting sport.
I agree and I don't shoot sport or even wildlife. I'm a terrible procrastinator about selling gear for one thing, but also its sort of like a security blanket I guess LOL. You end up hanging onto it even when its just a tattered corner left--because it makes you feel you'll be okay in any case :ROTFL:

Annna T

Thank you Annna. Nothing special for processing really, I do most in LR and usually apply about 30-50 clarity adjustment and default landscape capture sharpening which is 40, 0.8, 35.
Thank you Carl, there was quite a long time I wanted to ask that question. I'm also using LR mostly and sharpening more or less like you. But where we differ is with the clarity slider : most of the time I limit myself to 17-25 range. I always feared to increase noise rather than useful details. I'll give it a try. Do you use aggressive noise reduction after going so high with the clarity slider ?

scho

Thank you Carl, there was quite a long time I wanted to ask that question. I'm also using LR mostly and sharpening more or less like you. But where we differ is with the clarity slider : most of the time I limit myself to 17-25 range. I always feared to increase noise rather than useful details. I'll give it a try. Do you use aggressive noise reduction after going so high with the clarity slider ?
No noise reduction. The 30-50 clarity setting is usually only a problem with very high ISO or underexposed, shadow areas. I only use higher clarity for landscapes, not for portraits or high key subjects.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So the inevitable question: Do I really want this lens or is it just GAS? My OM-D came with the 14-42, which is light and small, but I wanted the macro, so I got a 12-50, too. Now, I like the macro functionality of that lens, but don't really love it. Aside from the wider aperture, is the IQ of the 12-35/2.8 making you all happy enough to carry the extra weight (and price)? Is the AF speed as snappy or snappier than the 12-50? The examples posted here are lovely, but that's mostly the photographers, right? :rolleyes:

Thank you all,

Matt

Diane B

So the inevitable question: Do I really want this lens or is it just GAS? My OM-D came with the 14-42, which is light and small, but I wanted the macro, so I got a 12-50, too. Now, I like the macro functionality of that lens, but don't really love it. Aside from the wider aperture, is the IQ of the 12-35/2.8 making you all happy enough to carry the extra weight (and price)? Is the AF speed as snappy or snappier than the 12-50? The examples posted here are lovely, but that's mostly the photographers, right? :rolleyes:

Thank you all,

Matt
I wonder about this myself. I will say that with Canon my 24-70 was on the camera a lot. OTH, I have the 25/1.4 and 45/2.8. Do I need this or not? And--I have the quite nice 14-45/3.5-5.6 AND the kit lens for the EM5, the 12-50 (which I planned to sell but may keep for a travel lens with the 25 for low light).

jonoslack

Diane, Matt.
Whether you want the 12-35 or not is not a question I can answer, it certainly isn't an alternative to the macro on the 12-50. On the other hand, I've had lots of 24-70 f2.8 equivalent lenses, most have weighed around 1kg (2lbs) sure, the dof isn't the same on the Panasonic, but it's just as good in every other respect, we were walking back from the pub in the rain, and I forgot I even had the camera and lens slung over my shoulder.

tom in mpls

The 12/35 is 90 gms heavier than the 12-50, but it is also 9mm shorter. That should make it a more comfortable combo I think.

I am concerned about the front element on the 12-50; it is very exposed and I worry that I will scratch it. A hood or clear filter seems necessary for protection.

Is the 12-35 front element sitting in danger as well?

I was taken aback that the 12-50 didn't come with a hood.

CPWarner

I did not see it as I needed the 12-35. I used 24-70 f2.8 lenses a lot myself in the past and I liked the image quality I got from those zoom lenses. A 12-35 and 35-100 would be a fantastic pair that would cover a huge range in a relatively small package. I also have the 12-50 that came with the OMD. It may get some use, but not much now that I have the 12-35.

In terms of size, the 12-35 is shorter than the 12-50 by a lens mount. It is wider and a little heavier. However this is nothing compared to 2 lb full frame lenses. I am very happy with the lens so far and can not wait for the 35-100 to be out. The 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 would be an awesome 3 lens kit.

Diane B

The 12/35 is 90 gms heavier than the 12-50, but it is also 9mm shorter. That should make it a more comfortable combo I think.

I am concerned about the front element on the 12-50; it is very exposed and I worry that I will scratch it. A hood or clear filter seems necessary for protection.

Is the 12-35 front element sitting in danger as well?

I was taken aback that the 12-50 didn't come with a hood.
Tom, I bought a hood for the 12-50 from Rainbow Imaging for about $14--Ebay. Its the same hood as the mZD9-18. Of course a knock off but it works fine IMO. Square hood (shape tickled me after the discussoin about square hoods in another thread).

The 12-35 being a Panasonic lens, I bet it comes with a hood.

Rich M

The 12-35 being a Panasonic lens, I bet it comes with a hood.
It does.....the not so sexy, but functional petal hood.

The lens element (in response to a prior question) is not exposed and I just put a filter on it today anyways.

R

CPWarner

Rich,

Great images! Were those with an underwater housing or at an aquarium? I am asking as I am looking into a housing for my OMD and am looking at ports for various lenses. Curious about what others are using.

Cliff

Annna T

No noise reduction. The 30-50 clarity setting is usually only a problem with very high ISO or underexposed, shadow areas. I only use higher clarity for landscapes, not for portraits or high key subjects.
Many thanks for all the good advices.

Rich M

Rich,

Great images! Were those with an underwater housing or at an aquarium? I am asking as I am looking into a housing for my OMD and am looking at ports for various lenses. Curious about what others are using.

Cliff
Thanks Cliff.....they were shot at an aquarium. I did not know housings had been developed yet for the OM-D.

Good luck in your search.

R

Diane B

Thanks Cliff.....they were shot at an aquarium. I did not know housings had been developed yet for the OM-D.

Good luck in your search.

R
Those shots were really informative since I know how hard it is to get decent shots in an aquarium. I'm trying not to covet the lens too much as after buying the EM5 I need to lie low for a bit :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Lovely Anemomies Rich . . .
here are some domestic shots:

Garlic and Ginger

Cracked

St Emilion for supper

Diane B

Lovely Anemomies Rich . . .
here are some domestic shots:

Garlic and Ginger

Cracked

St Emilion for supper

Exactly what I meant on other thread :). I esp. like the cracked eggs. But, not being a Brit, I wondered about the last shot, or really the objects.