The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Panasonic 12-35 f2.8

jonoslack

Well . . . . I just saw that they have them in stock at Warehouseexpress . . . I'm picking it up at lunchtime.:eek: (this means that the 70 will have to wait).

So - has anyone else got one yet?

If so - let's have some snaps.

all the best

Rich M

Got mine yesterday......first impression is very good. There is nothing "plasticky" about this lens.

R

jonoslack

Got mine yesterday......first impression is very good. There is nothing "plasticky" about this lens.

R
Just got mine - as you say, nothing plasticky . . it's a bit 'bling' though. Also, after a few minutes mine started making a big noise focusing - switching off and on sorted it. Strange. . . . . maybe it didn't like the rain!

Here are some first shots - nothing special I'm afraid, it's raining here (of course, I didn't need to say that!).
On the other hand, it looks sharp, and the bokeh is nice too.
cautiously enthusiastic.

Terry

You inspired me to call Panasonic....They seem to be expecting their first batch at the beginning of the week. I assume my order is in that first batch.

Diane B

Sigh....You all are making it tough to abide by my 'waiting until Photokina" discipline but I'm still not sure about this lens. I've noticed on another forum people selling the 25/1.4 because they didn't feel they would use it now having this lens. I love the 25/1.4, absolutely my favorite m4/3 lens. I wonder if I need this lens (other than I would like 12mm) since I also have the 45/2.8. Well, since its not available and the EM5 body only black is tough to find I have time to cogitate on both LOL.

Jono--trying out the water resistant capabilities of the lens <smile>??????

Terry

I don't see this lens supplanting the use of the 25mm. Those extra two stops are not only good for indoors but do make a difference in DOF control.

250swb

Mine arrived at lunchtime today care of WEX.

Not tried it much other than a quick comparison with the PL 25mm and the 12-50mm kit lens. It looks very promising indeed, and maybe the PL will have to go! I think the bokeh is a touch nicer the the 25mm at f2.8, softer and less edgy.

Steve

jonoslack

HI Diane - Terry]
I can't see why it would supplant the 25 either - it's quite a bit bigger. Still worried about mine - it started clattering again when focusing and needed to be switched off and on.

It did get wet - apparently today in England we're due the full amount of rain we normally expect in July . . . . . having said that, the sun just came out. I nipped into the office garden and took these:

. . . . and Silas working at 12mm . . . I must get back to work!

All processed from RAW in Aperture

Terry

Well while they have the lenses in stock, I would take a ride back and test another lens for a swap. What nice natural light in the office!

jonoslack

Well while they have the lenses in stock, I would take a ride back and test another lens for a swap. What nice natural light in the office!
Well - I can't go back today (taken too much time off already) - I'll give it a go tomorrow - it might settle down, it's also just possible that it wasn't turned far enough. We shall see.
Results seem okay though.

The office is lovely - it does get hot though!

all the best

Hosermage

Jono, were you in A-mode when the chatter started? The PL25 did that a couple of times to me, and looking at the lens, I can see the aperture open/close to create the horrible sound. However, I was already in A-mode, so I don't get why it was doing that. As you said, turning it on/off fixed it, and it hasn't happen again (fingers crossed) for a few weeks now.

Diane B

Frankly I couldn't see any reason to feel it supplanted the 25 either. Odd.... But since I always carry the 25 and 45 will I get enough use from the zoom (other than @ 12) is my question I guess. Be a wonderful travel lens has been my thinking since I was a heavy user of the 24-70 with Canon but is that a good enough reason (trying to be rational LOL).

250swb

It seems its a close up day. This at f2.8. The reason I would now sell the PL is because I have a proper Summilux ASPH which I would use for even shallower DOF if I was persuaded shallow DOF for DOF's sake was the way to go. Anyway, I think this 12-35 has pretty nice bokeh, and the IQ is as good as the PL. Click on image to enlarge.

Steve

Terry

It seems its a close up day. This at f2.8. The reason I would now sell the PL is because I have a proper Summilux ASPH which I would use for even shallower DOF if I was persuaded shallow DOF for DOF's sake was the way to go. Anyway, I think this 12-35 has pretty nice bokeh, and the IQ is as good as the PL. Click on image to enlarge.

Steve
So you are comparing the 25f1.4 to which "proper" Summilux (21, 24, 35, 50)? Of course a longer focal length than 25 will be different.

250swb

So you are comparing the 25f1.4 to which "proper" Summilux (21, 24, 35, 50)? Of course a longer focal length than 25 will be different.
A PL 25mm Summilux is equivalent to a 50mm lens in 35mm format. So it is therefore equivalent to a 50mm Summilux. I wouldn't have made a comparison if it had been something else :rolleyes:

Steve

Terry

A PL 25mm Summilux is equivalent to a 50mm lens in 35mm format. So it is therefore equivalent to a 50mm Summilux. I wouldn't have made a comparison if it had been something else :rolleyes:

Steve
Yes but it sounded like you were going to use that lens on m4/3 instead of the 25mm and then it clearly wasn't apples to apples. Of course the 50 is going to give you more control of DOF than the 25.

jonoslack

Yes but it sounded like you were going to use that lens on m4/3 instead of the 25mm and then it clearly wasn't apples to apples. Of course the 50 is going to give you more control of DOF than the 25.
If I had a m4/3 / M adapter I could try it with my 24 'lux . . . but I don't :D

Whatever - it's a lovely evening here (most unusual with a new lens) here are a couple of snaps: