The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OM-D Wiki

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Very nice. Thanks for the link.

I would love to see the button assignments and settings of people who have settled on an efficient workflow. I understand that will be different for different uses, and perhaps passage through the purgatory of working out one's own is a necessary journey. But I'm still curious (and lazy).

-Matt

Annna T

Very nice. Thanks for the link.

I would love to see the button assignments and settings of people who have settled on an efficient workflow. I understand that will be different for different uses, and perhaps passage through the purgatory of working out one's own is a necessary journey. But I'm still curious (and lazy).

-Matt
There are some examples of different configurations on the web, for instance Pekka Potka's configuration, which makes a lot of sense for me :
pekkapotka - Journal - Configuring the E-M5 --> Updated Feb*29th
You can also read more on the method he is using. To achieve ETTR (expose to the right) with the OM-D :
pekkapotka - Journal - Olympus E-M5: Exposing (to the right) and Lightroom*4.1
You may have to read his article on ETTR with the Olympus Pen E-P3 first, since the two cameras behave similarly and the method is explained in more details in the first article :
pekkapotka - Journal - Expose to the right, ETTR - with*E-P3

Also, don't miss the DPreview little introductory guide :
User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review
Their E-M5 review also contains a nice overview of all the different menus and customization options. The comments column includes some useful remarks :
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

This post over at DPreview contains some good tips :
Tips and tricks for setting up the OM-D E-M5: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

This guy (Siegfried) also has a lot of info concerning the use of the E-M5, although his comments don't look as experienced as those of Gary Ayton linked in the first post of this thread. He deals with a lot of different shooting situations : The E-M5 home page : E-M5
For basics setup: E-M5 basic setup
For advanced setup :E-M5 advanced setup
And don't miss his page of links : Links Page

For a detailed presentation of the use of the Mysets, look at Guy Parson's page :
Olympus Mysets Help

Jordan Steele of Admiring Light also has a lot of interesting stuff concerning the E-M5 : Reviews @ Admiring Light

I hope this will be helpful for some of you. By the way, I've preordered a silver E-M5 back in early March, but I'm still waiting for it. After the first online shop delayed the shipping three times (the last time without quoting any delivery date), I cancelled my order and got lucky : the other online dealer with whom I ordered had a special and limited 10% rebate on all the Olympus gear, E-M5 included and a black E-M5 should be delivered next week. This is why I've got plenty of time to learn the manual and scan the online ressources dealing with the E-M5 ! I feel ready to use that camera, like I never was for any other :)

Diane B

AnnnaT, that was very helpful. I copied and saved in a note app for future reference when I get an EM5.

Diane

bab

Re: OM-D Wiki-grain or noise

Seems like even though I have the camera set noise reduct. auto and noise filter Off that the camera still applies a noise filter to the images...
1. Should I turn Noise reduct to OFF?
2. Should I turn Noise filter to LOW?
I'm thinking Oly has some filter applied to the Raw files no matter what settings the camera has.

thanks

Seems like even though I have the camera set noise reduct. auto and noise filter Off that the camera still applies a noise filter to the images...
1. Should I turn Noise reduct to OFF?
2. Should I turn Noise filter to LOW?
I'm thinking Oly has some filter applied to the Raw files no matter what settings the camera has.

thanks
Noise Reduction turns on the low-light, is done by subtracting a "dark frame" from a taken picture . Even if it is set to On, it will be actually activated only at longest exposure times, generally from two seconds up. This means that you can leave it on all the time and when activated you will easily see that the recording time is doubled.

For the Noise Filter settings there are four values: Off, Low, Standard, and High. The first one, according to Olympus official statement, entirely disables the filtering even when recording jpegs.
Is difficult to prove that something does not exist, but I personally have not seen any evidence that the Olympus statement is not true.

Depending on the raw converter you are using there may be some sort of undocumented filtering being applied in the background.

bab

Thanks,
I'm using Lightroom, maybe I'm just used to the m9 files on the screen.

dhazeghi

For the Noise Filter settings there are four values: Off, Low, Standard, and High. The first one, according to Olympus official statement, entirely disables the filtering even when recording jpegs.
Is difficult to prove that something does not exist, but I personally have not seen any evidence that the Olympus statement is not true.
Compare camera JPEGs with NF=Off with camera RAWs converted with Adobe Lightroom and both noise reduction sliders set to 0 and there's a huge difference. It's particularly noticeable in dark areas. NF=Off hasn't actually disabled noise reduction in JPEGs since at least the E-PL2.

DH

Compare camera JPEGs with NF=Off with camera RAWs converted with Adobe Lightroom and both noise reduction sliders set to 0 and there's a huge difference. It's particularly noticeable in dark areas. NF=Off hasn't actually disabled noise reduction in JPEGs since at least the E-PL2.

DH
As I said before what the raw conversion engines do in the background is not very well documented, and this is true also for the internal raw processing engines. Any sort of filtering applied during demosaicing to control artifacts may well also act partially as a noise remover in particular for the chroma noise.
I did not check myself the jpegs because I do not use them but what you say is absolutely credible.

Joe Blackwood

To add to what Ario and Annna T posted...

Some of the additional web links that I have found for OM-D E-M5 information

Peter Arbib - Olympus OMD E-M5, The Dedicated Resource Blog | A Micro 4/3 Pro Camera

Peter Arbib - EM-5 Master Function Button Chart | Olympus OMD E-M5, The Dedicated Resource Blog

On this page is an Article and Chart by MG Grischke with a link to a jpg image of a "EM-5 Master Function Button Chart." This chart shows the mapping of the Custom Button Functions of the OM-D EM-5.
This is worth a save to your computer, iPad, or iPhone.

Guy Parsons - Olympus Pen & OM-D Links
E-PL1 links

Guy Parsons - Posted this link on another forum in a post about the Olympus menu system:

"The 90 minute long B&H video of the Oly rep talking about E-P3 menus is a good place to start as all the Pens and E-M5 use much the same menu structure. I use Firefox browser and the free add-on Easy Youtube Video Downloader 6.1 and the MP4 version is 1.8 gigs, so is better to capture and keep the video on a USB stick or your hard drive and keep coming back to it to save massive downloads each time you view it. An In-Depth Look at the Olympus Pen Camera System with Wireless Flash - YouTube
So far I've only watched half the video but I can see areas that he glosses over quickly as he probably realises that he doesn't know much about the item."

Mike Johnston - The Online Photographer: The Olympus OM-D E-M5: Three First Reactions

The GetDPI Photography Forums - http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/37044-can-focus-point-omd-made-smaller.html

Kit Laughlin - The GetDPI Photography Forums - http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/38556-whats-what-omd.html#post432143

"To Santo and others: if you have set up the smaller rectangle using the touch screen, and have turned the camera off, when you turn it back on, the standard-sized rectangle returns by default.

But a single (quick) press of the Fn2 button (if you have it set in Button Function menu to the magnifying glass icon) will immediately return you to whichever of the three smaller settings you chose before you switched the camera off.

In this way, the setting can be recalled with a single e button press—pretty close to being 'sticky' IMHO.

KL"

Don Parrot - A Day at the Races - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

Don has posted some very good action photos of dogs running and racing taken with the OM-D E-M5 on both mu-43.com and Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum at Digital Photography Review. Do a search for for Don to see more of his photographs.

In the following post he writes about some of his techniques.

Don Parrot - Olympus OM-D E-M5 Image Thread - Page 78 - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

E-M5 - Action speaks louder than words [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review