Thread: Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

Post Thanks / Like

Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

M Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1,8 ED MSC

Don't speak the lingo but get the idea it's a good one

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

Translated by Google:

Google Translate - M Zuiko Digital 75 mm f / 1.8 ED MSC - The Proof - DSLR Magazine

Olympus Digital 75 mm M.ZUIKO f / 1.8 ED MSC in hand

But where life really takes this bright TV equivalent of 150 mm is mounted on a camera like the Olympus OM-D, especially if equipped with the optional grip, with which the balance is perfect.

The autofocus does justice to the claim of those responsible for the firm in the sense that it is "the fastest in the market," including professional DSLR. It is quiet, and accurate, free from any problem of "back or front focus" precisely because it is focused through the information of the sensor.
    Personally, we doubt that you could achieve the accuracy of placement of focus to short and medium distances with such a combination of aperture f / 1.8 to 150 mm equivalent focal length by a traditional DSLR phase detection.

The color quality, contrast, the code Olympus, reminiscent of the best "chrome" was the top of the photochemistry. The latest generation coatings, which came into use since the introduction of M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12 mm f / 2 must have to do a lot with it.

In regard to bokeh, is superb. The combination of nearly circular aperture of the nine diaphragm blades, together with the optimum correction of chromatic aberrations, offers a clean bokeh soft perfect.
    We can, of course, focus on hand, but after long periods of the target, and very attuned to the question is whether it makes sense, given the accuracy that is achieved in AF mode.
    If you want, press the button twice we have assigned function and we focus on "very closely", perhaps critical subjects ... but honestly, we see more, for this purpose, perhaps for specific shots on a tripod, a land that is not the area "hunting" Digital Natural M.ZUIKO 75 mm f / 1.8 ED MSC.

In short:
    • Very light for its focal equivalent, well built without plastics negative feelings but rather, quite the opposite.
    • Manual focusing is very accurate and relevant smooth between physical movement and electronic impulse.
    • Optics ideal for "stolen", portraits and street shots from a distance, more discreet and the focal inadevertido standard documentary.
    • The consistency of the plane of focus at 1.8 is amazing, and the highest quality to all aperture values: laboratory performance is just correspondence, how could it be otherwise in the field footage.

It is a mistake to lump-unfortunately widely-size confuse value and price, and this little gem mecanoóptica, with almost 900 € Price is seen by CSC unaware of the concept in general and the Micro Four Thirds in particular as a objective "expensive", but, really, is unparalleled in the market.

In short: probably another Zuiko that will join the list of optical "historical" of the firm. Too bad it is delivered without a hood, and the corresponding metal and beautiful design, is an expensive accessory. Something that the firm should reconsider.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Avoid it? I've been dying waiting for my order to ship!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    Avoid it? I've been dying waiting for my order to ship!!!
    My point but possibly lost in my perverse English wit
    I'm avoiding the OM-D at present, but tempted to switch to it for my retirement camera, when I'll only have to supply Alamy. This sort of lens doesn't help me
    Another reason to wait is inevitable price drop and wanting to check out GH3 and new Canon mirrorless.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    My point but possibly lost in my perverse English wit
    I'm avoiding the OM-D at present, but tempted to switch to it for my retirement camera, when I'll only have to supply Alamy. This sort of lens doesn't help me
    Another reason to wait is inevitable price drop and wanting to check out GH3 and new Canon mirrorless.
    Dear David, I think you have to postpone your retirement a bit ... by a couple of years at least, I'd say.

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Resistance is futile.

I am just waiting for Jono to start the "Fun with the Olympus 75mm" thread and further torture us with awesome pics.

R

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone find an inexpensive hood for this yet? Also, when is it supposed to ship?

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder when Olympus will get the message that we don't appreciate having to buy the lens hood as an extra. Come on...
    David Anderson
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    Anyone find an inexpensive hood for this yet? Also, when is it supposed to ship?
    Here's a potential.....

58mm 58 mm lens Hood Metal Tele Lens Silver Lens Hood | eBay

R

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone get this lens yet? I had seen estimates that it was supposed to ship around July 20th, but I just got an update from Amazon saying now the estimated ship date is August through October.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Wonder when Olympus will get the message that we don't appreciate having to buy the lens hood as an extra. Come on...
    Lens hoods as extras on premium lenses aren't unknown. A cheap plastic hood for a kit lens tossed in is one thing, but a machined metal hood is another. Some of the hoods for the big, long teles from Canon and Nikon are accessories and cost hundreds of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the 200-400 and 500 Nikkors and the hoods were part of the package; in fact every Nikon long telephoto I have ever purchased came with the hood. Now, if you ever lost one, they were very expensive to replace.

Post Thanks / Like

>but a machined metal hood is another.

But a simple one is way better than none.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sony lenshoods came with the lenses too including the expensive and inexpensive lenses.
    All the Panasonic m4/3 lenses I bought came with hoods.
    I know we are paying for them in the price, but as they are almost always needed it seems petty not to include them, and a waste of resources to have to pay shipping for them separately.
    Anyway that's the way it is with Olympus...
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    Sony lenshoods came with the lenses too including the expensive and inexpensive lenses.
    All the Panasonic m4/3 lenses I bought came with hoods.
    I know we are paying for them in the price, but as they are almost always needed it seems petty not to include them, and a waste of resources to have to pay shipping for them separately.
    Anyway that's the way it is with Olympus...
    Hi David

Not to mention when buying the lens, the hood is listed as "out of stock". Apparently, common sense is not really very common.

Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I'm pleased - these are lovely lenshoods and must be expensive. I never use lenshoods, so I'm pretty pleased not to have to pay for one!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I'm pleased - these are lovely lenshoods and must be expensive. I never use lenshoods, so I'm pretty pleased not to have to pay for one!
    Jono, I like the protection that lens hoods provide for the front element. Do you use clear filters?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Jono, I like the protection that lens hoods provide for the front element. Do you use clear filters?
    No Tom
    I don't use either.
    I feel that a hand is better than any lens hood for preventing flare, and I wouldn't dream of adding some other companies questionable coating to the front of an expensive lens.

I reckon that with all the money I've saved by not buying a decent filter with a new lens I could probably buy a Noctilux by now. . . . .

I've only twice had a scratched front element of a lens, once, years ago, with a UV filter which broke and scratched the front element when I fell over, and the other time coming back from a service (it was replaced free of charge).

I do use lens caps when the camera is in the bag or over my shoulder (some people don't even do that).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono. I used to be belt and braces, lens hood and clear filter (or IR Cut for the M8). More recently I have gone without clear filters unless in blowing salt or sand conditions.

I do like lens hoods for protection when carrying the camera however, and don't like having lens caps on when the camera is out of the bag as there is a potential to miss a quick shot or even forget to take the cap off with a rangefinder! Suddenly realising when the shutter takes 30 seconds to close... Oops.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

At least I got a 'free' never-ready case for my OM-D from Olympus. Probably will never take it out of its box.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

I never owned a 135/150mm in the [good old] 35mm days, and have no wish to do so today. For 4/3 I would prefer a 90 or 100mm prime, equating to 180 or 200 in the old money—I find the compression at these focal lengths to have a useful visual effect.

Thinking of looking for a 120mm f2.8 Pentax for my K-5 and also to use on my G3 as a 240 equivalent.

The 75mm (150 eq) I find to be neither fish nor fowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    M Zuiko Digital 75 mm f/1,8 ED MSC

Don't speak the lingo but get the idea it's a good one
    I wish the Koreans at Samyang would produce AF for their 85mm f/1.4. It's a pity having to pay 3x as much for the Olympus 75mm which is slower, just to obtain AF.
    Nikon's 85mm f/1.8 is more reasonable at about $500.00, but their 85mm f/1.4 is almost $2000.00.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Olympus is a heck of a lot smaller than the Samyang not to mention sharper with better microcontrast at 1.8 than the Samyang as well. So it is more than JustnAF really.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Well the Olympus is a heck of a lot smaller than the Samyang not to mention sharper with better microcontrast at 1.8 than the Samyang as well. So it is more than JustnAF really.

Ken
    Probably, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oooh oooh oooh
    75 just showed up from korea, ordered on Monday, in my hands in NYC on thursday!