The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LUMIX G5

Knorp

Hi Diane,.

Well Jono got Black, but he is always asking with bated breath what others are chosing !
I'm sure he would have liked Silver, too !
Let's wait and see if and how he responses . . . ;)

You made the 'right' choice, congrats :thumbs:

Kind regards.

RichA

Hmmm, I think G5 is not sooooo "the hit" ... compared with G3 ... a weak update.

(FT5) UPDATED: Full Panasonic G5 image leaks….and Telegraph UK leaks info! | 43 Rumors
Functionally, the G-series has been very good. Accessible controls, comfortable to hold, like mini-DSLR. A very utilitarian camera, one you don't have to feel uncomfortable holding or "fearful" that some grip mishap will hurt it, unlike the GF series. This seems like a good offering shape-wise, better than the G3.

davemillier

I was annoyed by the handling if the G3 until I got a faux leather half case off ebay for it. Solves the problem for me.

That's a good point. Having not shot the G3 myself I can't comment on the handling issues, but that can be a make or break kind of thing for a camera. So if the G5 is just a better handling G3 that could be a big improvement itself. I have read people annoyed by G3 handling but not thrilled about having to go up to the GH2 to resolve the problem.

Ken

pellicle

...this has become a very competent little camera and at the same price as an advanced p&s.
which has in my opinion been what the G cameras have been all about since they started (G1), although have recently lost their way.

Wouldn't it be nice if it goes back to the same battery as the G1/GH1 :)

V

Vivek

Wouldn't it be nice if it goes back to the same battery as the G1/GH1 :)
Just as I notice that Pana have not come up with yet another new battery (G5 can use the same battery as the GH-2) why bring that up? :D

The greatest thing about the Sony NEX (despite a plethora of various cams in a short time) is constance about the battery.

mazor

I have been looking at the ISO tests from imaging resource comparetor and also tech radars review of the G5. Not only is there not much of an upgrade over the G3, but has no one ever noticed how bad the Chroma noise is at even ISO 800 visible in RAW! Added to that the noise is unforgiving in JPG (looks like digital artifacts randomly placed in the picture), ie post process noise reduction will have a hard time removing the digital artifacts at higher ISO.

It does not make sense why the image quality at higher ISO is so bad, since other cameras like the much older Panasonic GH2 has far superior high ISO performance, with minimal chroma noise and luma noise that has a nice grain to it. That kind of noise is not accceptable for 2012.

Is it possible that Panasonic G5 and previous series been detuned or handicapped deliberately to keep it "mid level" and to allow higher cost models from the same manufacturer to excel to a greater extent?

DHart

I have liked the G3, but I think the upgrades in the G5 are many and wonderful. Starting with the better grip, silent shutter option, additional manual control by the shutter release, better positioning of shutter release, slo-mo video option (I love that slow dreamy look in video!), enhanced sensor/IQ, auto eye-sensor, electronic levels, same battery as GH2, and on. I've preordered a silver one to replace my G3 (giving that to a friend to drag him into the m4/3 format!) and another silver one for my wife. I won't be giving up my E-M5, but I suspect I will like shooting with the G5 as much, if not more so, than my E-M5. I just like the way Pany does ergonomics. I think the G5 is an awesome looking camera, as well. I'm not too keen on the E-M5 styling, though the old OM fans seem to like the throwback design. I think the G5 design is much more ergonomic and is likely to feel great in the hand.