Site Sponsors

Thread: LUMIX G5

Post Thanks / Like

LUMIX G5

Hmmm, I think G5 is not sooooo "the hit" ... compared with G3 ... a weak update.

(FT5) UPDATED: Full Panasonic G5 image leaks….and Telegraph UK leaks info! | 43 Rumors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: LUMIX G5

Dunno - at least it has a decent grip ...

All the best.
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems to have a larger grip, which in my view is good. If that means yet another battery...

The 16MP sensor is already good, and if this is a tweaked version with more powerful processing, it's a lot of camera for what will probably be $6-700. Interesting supplement to the OM-D and GH3.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    If that means yet another battery...
    You nailed it!

Anyone keeping track of the battery versions?

I am looking forward to a GX-1 with a built in EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now (not that I own one, I'm the sucker marketers love who will pay a lot for little marginal benefit so I went the GH2 followed by the E-M5 route). I'm not sure they needed to do that much to the G5 as the G3 was already a solid performer. I don't think a new sensor was in the cards either, the 16MP in the G3/GX1 is already very good and based on comments made by Panasonic some years ago they typically need to get pretty high volumes from a given design to keep the lower end bodies economical.

I suppose perhaps the biggest news is that if an only marginally improved G5 is coming out that might make the G3 prices even lower which will make the G3 even a better value than it already is.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now (not that I own one, I'm the sucker marketers love who will pay a lot for little marginal benefit so I went the GH2 followed by the E-M5 route). I'm not sure they needed to do that much to the G5 as the G3 was already a solid performer. I don't think a new sensor was in the cards either, the 16MP in the G3/GX1 is already very good and based on comments made by Panasonic some years ago they typically need to get pretty high volumes from a given design to keep the lower end bodies economical.

I suppose perhaps the biggest news is that if an only marginally improved G5 is coming out that might make the G3 prices even lower which will make the G3 even a better value than it already is.

Ken
    I never really liked the G3s. I think they had some serious design flaws : the worst being the positioning of the Fn buttons, play button and Qmenu buttons. Also, the hand grip really wasn't good. Looking at the back of the G5 I do really like the position of the Fn and QMenu buttons and the thumb rest. The grip seems better designed too. As for the rest, same sensor as the G3 and GX1; I don't think you can do miracles with that. But the new processor may finally allows a faster clearing of the buffer ?

Anyway, I got an E-P3 some months after the G3, because I do really prefer the handling of the Pens over that of the G3. Getting the E-P3 after the G3, I was afraid that i would rarely use the E-P3, since its sensor is not as good, but it turned out to be the reverse, I'm using the E-P3 more than the G3, because I prefer the shooting experience.

So the G5 apparently may take care of the less than ideal handholding. But since I've now ordered an E-M5, I don't care for the small improvements announced on the G5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I never really liked the G3s. I think they had some serious design flaws : the worst being the positioning of the Fn buttons, play button and Qmenu buttons. Also, the hand grip really wasn't good.

So the G5 apparently may take care of the less than ideal handholding.
    That's a good point. Having not shot the G3 myself I can't comment on the handling issues, but that can be a make or break kind of thing for a camera. So if the G5 is just a better handling G3 that could be a big improvement itself. I have read people annoyed by G3 handling but not thrilled about having to go up to the GH2 to resolve the problem.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.

Will have to wait for the real details. This is not an OMD killer. What about weather sealing? A decent grip? I've never been a fan of the way the screen folds out on the GH-2. I was hoping they would adopt the style on the OMD.

I was trying to stay loyal to the Panasonic camp but unless this is a really good camera I think I may finally give in and get the OMD.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think anyone should be comparing the G5 and the E-M5. The G5 is a mid-range model, the E-M5 top of the range. Street price is going to be a factor of two different between them. Something like the G5 is competing with the Pen line.

If you want to "stay loyal" I'd wait for the GH3. If something is going to be weather sealed (to go along with the 12-35) that is the camera that is most likely to do it.

I do, however, very much doubt they'll move away from the current G/GH articulating implementation. They each have their advantages depending on how you shoot. I'm undecided as to preference at this point (shot G1/GH2 before, and E-M5 now).

Ken

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Hmmm.

Will have to wait for the real details. This is not an OMD killer. What about weather sealing? A decent grip? I've never been a fan of the way the screen folds out on the GH-2. I was hoping they would adopt the style on the OMD.

I was trying to stay loyal to the Panasonic camp but unless this is a really good camera I think I may finally give in and get the OMD.

LouisB
    It will still be half the price of the OMD. There was mention of being able to keep both the LCD and EVF active at the same time. I wonder what that will mean in terms of customizing your views.

Post Thanks / Like

Ken and Terry

I hope you are right about the GH-3 - another wait and see - hopefully by Photokina.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Video has improved to 1080 60p and continuous shooting to 6 fps. If the buffer size has also improved, this has become a very competent little camera and at the same price as an advanced p&s.

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm keeping my G3 as second body to my EM5. Do need to get rid of my G1 and GF1 though LOL.

I actually liked the ergonomics of the G3. Just right grip for me, Fn 2 was better for AEL/AFL than the one at top of back for G1 and GF1 for me. I use Fn 1 for preview (MF lenses mostly) so didn't use as much and being flush I had to get used to it. I shot with G3 for over a year and got along well with it. I admit with the EM5 I do rather miss the flip out LCD a bit. BUT I am really liking it overall and glad I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it when I found a black and silver locally and had a choice and also could actually handle it (first time I've ever handled a cam before I ordered or bought it since I went digital many many years ago LOL)

Diane
    The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sensational news: The G5 seems to use the same battery as the GH2.
    Fine, I thought, then I could buy a G5 and a GH2 and have two cameras that use the same memory cards, the same lenses and the same battery. That would be a first for me after owning... 8 digital interchangeable lens cameras that all use different batteries (and chargers), except two of the Nikons, but they use different memory cards.

So I went to the website of my favourite pusher to check the price of the GH2, and the price is... it's not there anymore! Gone, invisible, disappeared from the face of the earth

Anybody taking bets that the GH3 will have a brand new, totally incompatible battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    I shot with G3 for over a year and got along well with it. I admit with the EM5 I do rather miss the flip out LCD a bit. BUT I am really liking it overall and glad I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it when I found a black and silver locally and had a choice and also could actually handle it (first time I've ever handled a cam before I ordered or bought it since I went digital many many years ago LOL)

Diane
    HI Diane
    Congratulations but . . . . I wait with baited breath . . . which did you choose?
    Silver or Black?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

Well all along I was sure I wanted the black. Had I bought it online that's what I would have bought. He brought the silver out first and I handled it and asked to see the black, even told him I expected that's what I would likely buy. But--I had both in hands, kept shooting, even asked to see the Fuji XPro1 and said not for me. I would lay the silver down and pick up the black--and yet--I could just feel the silver calling to me LOL. So--it was silver in the end. Love it.

I've gotten past the menu issues now I think LOL. and shooting is starting to feel comfortable and I love the images--and so much control while shooting. Its a lovely camera and I'm glad I decided to go ahead and get it before Photokina. I really don't think anything is going to appear that will make me sorry.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No problems finding a GH2 ordering from another country. The problem is when it stops working. With the terrible build quality of most Panasonic cameras and their hopeless customer service, I need all the support I can get from my local dealer. And how can I sit down at his shop, drinking his coffee and have a chat if I buy my gear elsewhere, particularly when his prices are the best anyway?

I just got my GH1 back from repair a couple of days ago. It must be some kind of anti-express service, only 5 months, but at least it was free

So the solution is probably to buy the OM-D, if they ever get the body-only to this country, and keep the GH1 for backup. I'm in no hurry. I have more than enough cameras, and most of them work

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Diane
    Congratulations but . . . . I wait with baited breath . . . which did you choose?
    Silver or Black?
    I know it , you know it, we all know it: ... you want the silver.
    And with the 75 it'll look just smashing ...

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess we should ask Jono which he chose?? Maybe he said previously but if he did--I missed it LOL. (And no 75 for me--not a FL that I shoot with much but I have added the Panasonic 12-35 to my wish list).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diane,.

Well Jono got Black, but he is always asking with bated breath what others are chosing !
    I'm sure he would have liked Silver, too !
    Let's wait and see if and how he responses . . .

You made the 'right' choice, congrats

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really like my silver!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    Hmmm, I think G5 is not sooooo "the hit" ... compared with G3 ... a weak update.

(FT5) UPDATED: Full Panasonic G5 image leaks….and Telegraph UK leaks info! | 43 Rumors
    Functionally, the G-series has been very good. Accessible controls, comfortable to hold, like mini-DSLR. A very utilitarian camera, one you don't have to feel uncomfortable holding or "fearful" that some grip mishap will hurt it, unlike the GF series. This seems like a good offering shape-wise, better than the G3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was annoyed by the handling if the G3 until I got a faux leather half case off ebay for it. Solves the problem for me.

That's a good point. Having not shot the G3 myself I can't comment on the handling issues, but that can be a make or break kind of thing for a camera. So if the G5 is just a better handling G3 that could be a big improvement itself. I have read people annoyed by G3 handling but not thrilled about having to go up to the GH2 to resolve the problem.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I am very satisfied with my G1, G2, G3, GH1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ...this has become a very competent little camera and at the same price as an advanced p&s.
    which has in my opinion been what the G cameras have been all about since they started (G1), although have recently lost their way.

Wouldn't it be nice if it goes back to the same battery as the G1/GH1 :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pellicle View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if it goes back to the same battery as the G1/GH1 :-)
    Just as I notice that Pana have not come up with yet another new battery (G5 can use the same battery as the GH-2) why bring that up?

The greatest thing about the Sony NEX (despite a plethora of various cams in a short time) is constance about the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking at the ISO tests from imaging resource comparetor and also tech radars review of the G5. Not only is there not much of an upgrade over the G3, but has no one ever noticed how bad the Chroma noise is at even ISO 800 visible in RAW! Added to that the noise is unforgiving in JPG (looks like digital artifacts randomly placed in the picture), ie post process noise reduction will have a hard time removing the digital artifacts at higher ISO.

It does not make sense why the image quality at higher ISO is so bad, since other cameras like the much older Panasonic GH2 has far superior high ISO performance, with minimal chroma noise and luma noise that has a nice grain to it. That kind of noise is not accceptable for 2012.

Is it possible that Panasonic G5 and previous series been detuned or handicapped deliberately to keep it "mid level" and to allow higher cost models from the same manufacturer to excel to a greater extent?

Post Thanks / Like

I have liked the G3, but I think the upgrades in the G5 are many and wonderful. Starting with the better grip, silent shutter option, additional manual control by the shutter release, better positioning of shutter release, slo-mo video option (I love that slow dreamy look in video!), enhanced sensor/IQ, auto eye-sensor, electronic levels, same battery as GH2, and on. I've preordered a silver one to replace my G3 (giving that to a friend to drag him into the m4/3 format!) and another silver one for my wife. I won't be giving up my E-M5, but I suspect I will like shooting with the G5 as much, if not more so, than my E-M5. I just like the way Pany does ergonomics. I think the G5 is an awesome looking camera, as well. I'm not too keen on the E-M5 styling, though the old OM fans seem to like the throwback design. I think the G5 design is much more ergonomic and is likely to feel great in the hand.
    Don

"Be kind, everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of."