The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That is one big lens hood on the Panny 25/1.4. Is it needed?

tom in mpls

I've been looking at that Panasonic 25/1.4. Rave reviews all around. But that lens hood looks enormous. Does it reverse? Can one shoot successfully without it in most situations? I do use lens hoods, but I am on such a "small and light camera kit" bender right now...

Diane B

I actually haven't tried shooting without the hood. It isn't reversible--too bad, same as the Panny Leica 45/2.8. I love the lens, definitely my favorite.

Last edited:

JMaher

Great lens. As Diane stated it's not reversible so there is no way too store it that takes up less space. I have never used the lens without the hood so I can't say if it's necessary.
After shooting Nikon & Canon for years i don't find it all that big. Mine just stays on the lens all the time.

Jim

Godfrey

I've been looking at that Panasonic 25/1.4. Rave reviews all around. But that lens hood looks enormous. Does it reverse? Can one shoot successfully without it in most situations? I do use lens hoods, but I am on such a "small and light camera kit" bender right now...
Hmm. I originally thought you meant the Panasonic Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for the FourThirds SLRs ... that also has an enormous hood, but it is reversible. Superb lens.

the little one for mFT ... I haven't actually seen.

tom in mpls

Hmm. I originally thought you meant the Panasonic Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for the FourThirds SLRs ... that also has an enormous hood, but it is reversible. Superb lens.

the little one for mFT ... I haven't actually seen.
Hey, maybe I'm getting myself totally confused. Again. Is there more than one Panny 25? I am definitely looking at the MICRO FT lens. I thought there was the only one. I see this one at B&H.

Definitely, I want information on the lens for the mFT. Maybe I was seeing a picture of the "other" one, whatever that one is.

Last edited:
There are two different Panaleica Summilux 24/1.4: the one for 4/3 has got a reversible hood, the one for m4/3 has a squared hood which cannot be reversed.
The one shown on BH site is the m4/3 version.

Godfrey

There are two different Panaleica Summilux 24/1.4: the one for 4/3 has got a reversible hood, the one for m4/3 has a squared hood which cannot be reversed.
The one shown on BH site is the m4/3 version.
The SLR lens is the Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.
The Micro-FourThirds lens is the Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.

SLR: Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

mFT: Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

I have no experience with the mFT lens; the SLR lens is superb.

My 25mm is being despatched today.

I'm expecting to use the same rubber hood that I have been using on my 20mm - and with which I am very happy.

Tony

ErikTande

You can shoot without, you may end up with a little flare if you're shooting into a light source. I wish it was reversable as well, I can't figure out why they made it square.

The SLR lens is the Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.
The Micro-FourThirds lens is the Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.

SLR: Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

mFT: Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

I have no experience with the mFT lens; the SLR lens is superb.
I have both, and even if I never made a face-to-face comparison on the same camera I have the impression the the SRL version is marginally better. The problem is that on the m4/3 is too bulky for my taste.

tom,

I have lost track of the exact source as I bought it on eBay over two years ago.

Here is a selection. 46mm rubber lens hood | eBay

On DPR there are references to them snagging the focus mechanism. I never have experienced a problem.

What I like about the rubber hood is that one can remove the lens cap and the lens remains fairly well protected. That means I can put the camera on a restaurant table and either I, or my friends, can pick it up and quickly take a shot of an amusing moment.

The unobtrusiveness of the 20mm is what appeals. I can take it out in the evenings and not look like a camera geek. I've ordered the 25mm as I'm expecting it to be 'better' (whatever that means!!). When I do interior shots near home I'll be using the 25. But I'll keep the 20 as my 'holiday' lens.

Tony

Diane B

The m4/3 version 25/1.4 is absolutely my favorite lens--I can't compare to the 4/3 version. Its on my cam, whatever that may be (recently was G3 and now EM5 and I did try on my old G1 and GF1) and I don't honestly mind the larger size than say the 20 (I use a vented hood on the 20). Its much smaller than my Canon primes with hoods. Its a bit bulky with the hood in a bag but still not all that large IMO (my Panny Leica 45/2.8 uses the same type hood and usually one is on body and other stowed). I have shot with the 20/1.7 for soon 3 years (Sept) and wasn't sure whether to buy the 25 or not but the images I saw from others, plus the FOV that I prefer, prompted me to buy it. Certainly glad I did. I value small size but not pocketability and the EM5 plus 25/1.4 is many times smaller and lighter than my 5D and 50/1.4 and that I value but also the quality of the images I'm getting with the lens.

biglouis

I only use it on my DG 25/1.4 for added protection as the hood is sooo large.

As others have stated, this is one mother of a lens. Sharp even at 1.4 which for a lens which is a quarter the price of the ("real") M version is pretty damn astonishing.

This and the 45/2.8 is what keeps me loyal to m43rds.

LouisB

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
What are hoods? Since I seem to be someone that is always swimming upstream, I'll say that manuals and hoods are two things that are certain to stay in any box I open.

Godfrey

I have both, and even if I never made a face-to-face comparison on the same camera I have the impression the the SRL version is marginally better. The problem is that on the m4/3 is too bulky for my taste.
The Summi 25 and the 35 Macro have been my two favorite FourThirds lenses for a long time. They are what is usually on the E-1 now. I used the Summi 25 on the G1 quite a lot too, and I've always used it with the hood. It makes the lens huge, but it's also protective and reduces flare another notch.

A fast normal lke this is always one of the most useful lenses I can have.

Annna T

What are hoods? Since I seem to be someone that is always swimming upstream, I'll say that manuals and hoods are two things that are certain to stay in any box I open.
So, how are you protecting your lenses ? do you put filters on them ? I prefer a hood to a filter. The hood has two functions : it protects the lens from most accident and it protect against flare when shooting in the direction of the sun.

I admit that I don't like the way the hoods are increasing the size of lenses, especially the 25mm and the tele lenses. But that is a price I'm willing to pay to protest the lenses. I feel like naked if I go out shooting without hood on the lenses.

Only exception are the two pancakes I own. Panasonic didn't supply hoods for these, at least I don't have any. May be that I should get one of these nice ventilated hood for them..

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
The lens coatings on most modern lenses are very good and provide quite a bit of protection against bumps and/or flare. Knock on wood, I've never really had an issue with worrying about protecting a lens surface. I take the lens cap off before I start shooting and put it back on at the end of the day. In the meanwhile, the lens front element is always exposed to the elements as my camera is slung from a shoulder or at my hip. My philosophy is that if I'm going to buy a lens, I'm going to use it. Why else would I buy it? (I'll add that I've used quite a number of Canon, Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and other lenses over the years.)

"I mean why else do you keep the hood on?"

Indeed one way to spot a pro from an amateur is whether they use a hood !!

Laugh? Years ago I used to have a little bellows on my Leica - simply because I saw a picture of a pro with one....

Tony