Site Sponsors

Thread: That is one big lens hood on the Panny 25/1.4. Is it needed?

Post Thanks / Like

That is one big lens hood on the Panny 25/1.4. Is it needed?

I've been looking at that Panasonic 25/1.4. Rave reviews all around. But that lens hood looks enormous. Does it reverse? Can one shoot successfully without it in most situations? I do use lens hoods, but I am on such a "small and light camera kit" bender right now...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: That is one big lens hood on the Panny 25/1.4. Is it needed?

I actually haven't tried shooting without the hood. It isn't reversible--too bad, same as the Panny Leica 45/2.8. I love the lens, definitely my favorite.
    Last edited by Diane B; 20th July 2012 at 04:58.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great lens. As Diane stated it's not reversible so there is no way too store it that takes up less space. I have never used the lens without the hood so I can't say if it's necessary.
    After shooting Nikon & Canon for years i don't find it all that big. Mine just stays on the lens all the time.

Jim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    I've been looking at that Panasonic 25/1.4. Rave reviews all around. But that lens hood looks enormous. Does it reverse? Can one shoot successfully without it in most situations? I do use lens hoods, but I am on such a "small and light camera kit" bender right now...
    Hmm. I originally thought you meant the Panasonic Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for the FourThirds SLRs ... that also has an enormous hood, but it is reversible. Superb lens.

the little one for mFT ... I haven't actually seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Hmm. I originally thought you meant the Panasonic Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH for the FourThirds SLRs ... that also has an enormous hood, but it is reversible. Superb lens.

the little one for mFT ... I haven't actually seen.
    Hey, maybe I'm getting myself totally confused. Again. Is there more than one Panny 25? I am definitely looking at the MICRO FT lens. I thought there was the only one. I see this one at B&H.

Definitely, I want information on the lens for the mFT. Maybe I was seeing a picture of the "other" one, whatever that one is.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 19th July 2012 at 21:23.

Post Thanks / Like

There are two different Panaleica Summilux 24/1.4: the one for 4/3 has got a reversible hood, the one for m4/3 has a squared hood which cannot be reversed.
    The one shown on BH site is the m4/3 version.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    There are two different Panaleica Summilux 24/1.4: the one for 4/3 has got a reversible hood, the one for m4/3 has a squared hood which cannot be reversed.
    The one shown on BH site is the m4/3 version.
    The SLR lens is the Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.
    The Micro-FourThirds lens is the Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.

SLR: Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

mFT: Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

I have no experience with the mFT lens; the SLR lens is superb.

Post Thanks / Like

My 25mm is being despatched today.

I'm expecting to use the same rubber hood that I have been using on my 20mm - and with which I am very happy.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, can you link to that hood at eBay or elsewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

You can shoot without, you may end up with a little flare if you're shooting into a light source. I wish it was reversable as well, I can't figure out why they made it square.

Post Thanks / Like

The SLR lens is the Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.
    The Micro-FourThirds lens is the Summilux-DG 25mm f/1.4 ASPH.

SLR: Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

mFT: Four Thirds | Micro Four Thirds | Products(Lenses)

I have no experience with the mFT lens; the SLR lens is superb.
    I have both, and even if I never made a face-to-face comparison on the same camera I have the impression the the SRL version is marginally better. The problem is that on the m4/3 is too bulky for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like

tom,

I have lost track of the exact source as I bought it on eBay over two years ago.

Here is a selection. 46mm rubber lens hood | eBay

On DPR there are references to them snagging the focus mechanism. I never have experienced a problem.

What I like about the rubber hood is that one can remove the lens cap and the lens remains fairly well protected. That means I can put the camera on a restaurant table and either I, or my friends, can pick it up and quickly take a shot of an amusing moment.

The unobtrusiveness of the 20mm is what appeals. I can take it out in the evenings and not look like a camera geek. I've ordered the 25mm as I'm expecting it to be 'better' (whatever that means!!). When I do interior shots near home I'll be using the 25. But I'll keep the 20 as my 'holiday' lens.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

The m4/3 version 25/1.4 is absolutely my favorite lens--I can't compare to the 4/3 version. Its on my cam, whatever that may be (recently was G3 and now EM5 and I did try on my old G1 and GF1) and I don't honestly mind the larger size than say the 20 (I use a vented hood on the 20). Its much smaller than my Canon primes with hoods. Its a bit bulky with the hood in a bag but still not all that large IMO (my Panny Leica 45/2.8 uses the same type hood and usually one is on body and other stowed). I have shot with the 20/1.7 for soon 3 years (Sept) and wasn't sure whether to buy the 25 or not but the images I saw from others, plus the FOV that I prefer, prompted me to buy it. Certainly glad I did. I value small size but not pocketability and the EM5 plus 25/1.4 is many times smaller and lighter than my 5D and 50/1.4 and that I value but also the quality of the images I'm getting with the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

I only use it on my DG 25/1.4 for added protection as the hood is sooo large.

As others have stated, this is one mother of a lens. Sharp even at 1.4 which for a lens which is a quarter the price of the ("real") M version is pretty damn astonishing.

This and the 45/2.8 is what keeps me loyal to m43rds.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What are hoods? Since I seem to be someone that is always swimming upstream, I'll say that manuals and hoods are two things that are certain to stay in any box I open.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I have both, and even if I never made a face-to-face comparison on the same camera I have the impression the the SRL version is marginally better. The problem is that on the m4/3 is too bulky for my taste.
    The Summi 25 and the 35 Macro have been my two favorite FourThirds lenses for a long time. They are what is usually on the E-1 now. I used the Summi 25 on the G1 quite a lot too, and I've always used it with the hood. It makes the lens huge, but it's also protective and reduces flare another notch.

A fast normal lke this is always one of the most useful lenses I can have.

Post Thanks / Like

Hoods are like adding silencers to pistols, they look cool.... I mean why else do you keep the hood on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    What are hoods? Since I seem to be someone that is always swimming upstream, I'll say that manuals and hoods are two things that are certain to stay in any box I open.
    So, how are you protecting your lenses ? do you put filters on them ? I prefer a hood to a filter. The hood has two functions : it protects the lens from most accident and it protect against flare when shooting in the direction of the sun.

I admit that I don't like the way the hoods are increasing the size of lenses, especially the 25mm and the tele lenses. But that is a price I'm willing to pay to protest the lenses. I feel like naked if I go out shooting without hood on the lenses.

Only exception are the two pancakes I own. Panasonic didn't supply hoods for these, at least I don't have any. May be that I should get one of these nice ventilated hood for them..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens coatings on most modern lenses are very good and provide quite a bit of protection against bumps and/or flare. Knock on wood, I've never really had an issue with worrying about protecting a lens surface. I take the lens cap off before I start shooting and put it back on at the end of the day. In the meanwhile, the lens front element is always exposed to the elements as my camera is slung from a shoulder or at my hip. My philosophy is that if I'm going to buy a lens, I'm going to use it. Why else would I buy it? (I'll add that I've used quite a number of Canon, Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and other lenses over the years.)

Post Thanks / Like

"I mean why else do you keep the hood on?"

Indeed one way to spot a pro from an amateur is whether they use a hood !!

Laugh? Years ago I used to have a little bellows on my Leica - simply because I saw a picture of a pro with one....

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikTande View Post
    You can shoot without, you may end up with a little flare if you're shooting into a light source. I wish it was reversable as well, I can't figure out why they made it square.
    Don't know. Wish it was reversible but I think this has something to do with the "Leica" thing--the Panny Leica 45/2.8 has the same style hood.

I feel sure it would flare without and I do like the protection. To say a hood separates the amateurs from the pros is silly. I shot commercial for a good while for furniture and textile industries and I guarantee you that flare was always a possbility. Guess I could have used my hands to shield while camera was on tripod LOLOL.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

I need a little time to ponder whether tripods are pro or amateur, Diane.

Have a good evening.

Yours, a not too serious, Tony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Diane, it's one of those things that just ends up being a personal preference. So many of these photography things end up being that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    I need a little time to ponder whether tripods are pro or amateur, Diane.

Have a good evening.

Yours, a not too serious, Tony.
    Me either. We all have our quirks......

An aside. A number of years ago I was doing some personal shooting and had the big honking 24-70L with hood on the 5D. I fell--embarrassingly in my brother's driveway after carrying same camera, lens all over the place--up and down mts., boating, etc. LOL--and without the hood I would have had a smashed lens (I carry camera in hand with Canon wriststrap). As it was, only a broken hood (much as I hated, HATED I SAY, that zoom's hood). It made me consider the hood for more than reducing glare.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the lens, since release and never used the hood. It's more than big enough without it. I really haven't noticed any serious flare issues with it and I just use my hand as a shade if I need to. I suppose if I was shooting an outdoor wedding in sunny Sedona, I would put it on and leave it on, but for just everyday carrying it with me, I don't need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I will start shooting it without the hood to give it a try because the increase in size has had me pondering about the 20mm f1.7.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Hoods are like adding silencers to pistols, they look cool.... I mean why else do you keep the hood on?
    - Protect the front of the lens.
    - Reduce flare and improve micro-contrast.

A lens hood is the cheapest technical improvement to image quality you can buy. But it seems many would rather spend money on more expensive toys to play with.

BTW: if you think I'm being derisive, well, in this case I am. Don't take it personally ... There are very few situations where not using a lens hood makes any sense at all, and the trouble with most manufacturer supplied lens hoods is only that they often make them too shallow to be as effective as they should be, bowing to convenience and compactness. :-)

I have and use an effective lens hood on almost every lens I own. The ones I don't are the ones where a) a hood can't be fitted at all or b) the camera and its intended use preclude fitting a lens hood for practical reasons (for example, a pocketable camera with a servo retraction mechanism on the lens is impractical to always use with a hood).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Don't know. Wish it was reversible but I think this has something to do with the "Leica" thing--the Panny Leica 45/2.8 has the same style hood.
    A rectangular hood formed to the same proportions as the format is simply more efficient and can be smaller than a round hood for the same efficiency. The round one for the SLR version of this lens is enormous but it definitely does the job it was intended to do.

"Pro vs amateur"... A silly fence to construct and debate over.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I like and use hoods. Still I look for more convenient options when the OEM hood seems to be just too big.

Has anyone tried other options? The rubber hood is already noted earlier in this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

It's really not that large in real life. Compared to the hood for some of my L lenses it is a toy. Well made but not really that large.

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 20th July 2012 at 14:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Hood or no hood, filter or no filter... some topics never die.
    I'm in the hood camp here, it's a personal thing as I like the feeling of added security and it certainly lessens the number of situations where I would be left with one hand holding the camera while the other hand provided some shade for the lens.

I usually don't use the impractical and, to my taste, over-sized original hoods. There are nice small screw-on hoods available for little money.

That's me. I have been walking in the woods having front elements scratched against twigs and such. That was me but hopefully not anymore.

Here is an example from 2009, I use a similar solution with the E-M5 and the micro version of the 25/1.4:

Post Thanks / Like

A rectangular hood formed to the same proportions as the format is simply more efficient and can be smaller than a round hood for the same efficiency. The round one for the SLR version of this lens is enormous but it definitely does the job it was intended to do.
    )
    Ah, okay, didn't know that and interesting to know. Its also interesting that only these two Panny lenses have this shape hood---and I have both LOL. (I use a metal round hood for my FD and Nikkor 24/2.8 which seem to work well too). I just leave the hoods on and in truth the combo doesn't take all that much room in either of the two bags I use for m4/3.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Tom,

It's really not that large in real life. Compared to hood for some of my L lenses its a toy. Well made but not really that large.

Jim
    Yes, it is easy to lose perspective with these small lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    You are not alone Kurt.
    If there is no sun then the hood is pointless. If you're shooting into the sun then a judiciously placed hand is a much better bet-especially with an EVF.

The 25 1.4 is a lovely little lens, and it certainly doesn't need that horrid excrescence stuck on its front!

All the best

PS what is this manual thing of which you speak?

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quickie to say that my 25mm arrived this morning and the rubber lens cap I got on eBay for my 20mm fits fine.

The hood that came with the lens will remain in the box.

Tonu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonygamble View Post
    The hood that came with the lens will remain in the box.
    Of course it will. It's an absurd design, just as the one they made for the 4/3 version of the lens. I don't know what's best or worse.... too big and clumsy hoods, or the Olympus way; no hood included.