Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: OM-D Image Stabilization

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    OM-D Image Stabilization

    What to input when manually setting the IS for use with a legacy lens?
    You can set the focal length to match the lens, but has the setting to be made in m4/3 terms or in 35mm terms? (I assume manual settings are redundant with m4/3 lenses since the focal length will be picked up automatically).
    Would it make any real difference? possibly not, but enquiring minds want to know.....

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D Image Stabilization

    Quote Originally Posted by les View Post
    What to input when manually setting the IS for use with a legacy lens?
    You can set the focal length to match the lens, but has the setting to be made in m4/3 terms or in 35mm terms? (I assume manual settings are redundant with m4/3 lenses since the focal length will be picked up automatically).
    Would it make any real difference? possibly not, but enquiring minds want to know.....
    You set the actual focal length of the legacy lens, i.e. if using a Zuiko 50mm f1.8, you input 50mm. It DOES make quite a difference to the IBIS performance.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D Image Stabilization

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You set the actual focal length of the legacy lens, i.e. if using a Zuiko 50mm f1.8, you input 50mm. It DOES make quite a difference to the IBIS performance.
    Glenn,

    Thanks, that's what I've been doing, but I had small nagging doubt about it, since the manual wasn't specific.
    Agree that the IBIS system works well on the OM-D with old lenses. My old 18-200 Tamron was pretty much unusable on a G3.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: OM-D Image Stabilization

    Quote Originally Posted by les View Post
    Glenn,

    Thanks, that's what I've been doing, but I had small nagging doubt about it, since the manual wasn't specific.
    Agree that the IBIS system works well on the OM-D with old lenses. My old 18-200 Tamron was pretty much unusable on a G3.
    Are you changing the focal length indicated for the IBIS each time you are zooming in or out ? That should be a real hassle.. I prefer legacy primes to that .. and keep IBIS off unless needed in order to diminish the hassle.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OM-D Image Stabilization

    Well someone who was particularly precise might I suppose adjust the IS setting to match every turn of the zoom lens. (In fact that's not so much of a pain as it might sound - a few seconds to touch a few buttons, easy after you've done it once or twice - except maybe in freezing weather).

    But in the real world if i connect the 'big' zoom it's usually going to be just used towards the top end, and so I just set the IS once for the zoom's max (in my case 200) and that seems to work fine - for my purposes at least. Obviously if you're using a legacy prime it's easier to be consistently precise and 'go by the book', by setting the IS once to match the chosen lens.
    Last edited by les; 24th July 2012 at 01:03. Reason: semantics

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •