The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG my only camera is my iPhone!

Godfrey

Don't do that to me! Now I have to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to the 4s.
I only speak of the 4S as that's the only iPhone I've owned...

Two At Dinner - Cupertino 2012
iPhone 4S - Snapseed
©2012 Godfrey DiGiorgi

.. but I'm sure the iPhone 4 does a good job too. Doesn't matter.

tom in mpls

Godfrey, the camera in the 4s is worlds better than in the 4; it was one of the major upgreades in that model. And don't think that it didn't cause me to consider upgrading early.

At any rate, this is a serious consideration these days as cell phone cameras are nearly as good as a pocket P&S in image quality (features and ergonomics are something else). I really have thought about it, but I know I want more. And I do want a better camera phone as that is the camera that I always have with me.

monza

The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job. I use the Camera+ app although there are a lot of other camera apps, some may be better, but I haven't tried them. Like every camera, it is compromised in many ways, so it could never be my only camera, but it also has features that nothing else has regardless of price...

Godfrey

The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job. I use the Camera+ app although there are a lot of other camera apps, some may be better, but I haven't tried them. Like every camera, it is compromised in many ways, so it could never be my only camera, but it also has features that nothing else has regardless of price...
Yes.

My iPhone/iPad camera apps are the built-in and "8mm" for video plus the built-in, "Mattebox", "Hueless" and "ShakeItPhoto" for stills. I have a few others but these are the ones that present the features and quality I like. Some of these do pretty well even with the iPad 2's rather limited camera–the iPhone 4S is yards better than that one.

Snapseed on the iPhone is superb, but it's even better when used on the iPad. My iPhone photography workflow is to capture with the iPhone and transfer all images to the iPad, process there (as with the photo above). Everything accumulates on the iPad that way, so when I get back to my desk, all the photos (new captures and finished works) get moved into Lightroom and my regular image archives.

We're getting away from the original focus of Tom's post, I suspect... ;-)

Godfrey

Tom, you didn't say much about the NEX 7 other than you hated it. I'm curious why?
I can't speak to Tom's feelings, but when I went to play with the NEX 7 at the store, I also felt an immediate dislike for it. Similar to how I felt for the X100. Just felt wrong to me, disliked the controls and menus, etc.

tom in mpls

Tom, you didn't say much about the NEX 7 other than you hated it. I'm curious why?
Robert and Godfrey, I'll say a bit more. I didn't like the feel in hand, was constantly finding that I had inadvertently changed exposure compensation, and was forever taking unintended movies. And I couldn't make quick adjustments as the menus were confusing. And a completely impossible to measure sense that it was cold and too complicated. No emotional bond, though others may not find that important. Plus the lens lineup left me dissatisfied. Too bad that the 18-200 is so big.

pellicle

The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job.
exactly ... and as the old saying goes "the best camera you have is the one you have with you".

I have no intention of passing my m4/3 over for my Nokia but having my phone with me so much means that I've always got "something" to grab a good shot.

So I can get 'something' when opportunities like this come up:

tom in mpls

Resistance is futile. And the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

I bought a silver OM-D body from Samy's, Panasonic 12-35mm from Amazon, and picked up second hand but never used Oly 45mm/1.8 and Panasonic 100-300mm at FM. Everything arrived today, I'm excited. I don't think I'll have time to try it out for a day or two, though. Since the size was a bit too small, Jim Milich's grip is on the way as we speak.

Instant kit. :grin:

There may be other goodies announced next month at Photokina, but I want a camera now and who knows how long it will be until the new products are available.

Diane B

Resistance is futile. And the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

I bought a silver OM-D body from Samy's, Panasonic 12-35mm from Amazon, and picked up second hand but never used Oly 45mm/1.8 and Panasonic 100-300mm at FM. Everything arrived today, I'm excited. I don't think I'll have time to try it out for a day or two, though. Since the size was a bit too small, Jim Milich's grip is on the way as we speak.

Instant kit. :grin:

There may be other goodies announced next month at Photokina, but I want a camera now and who knows how long it will be until the new products are available.
Please give us some feedback on Jim's grip please, and maybe some pics on the silver since you will get the new taller and black grip.

Enjoy the EM5. i'm liking it more than I thought I would--its great fun to shoot.

Diane

JMaher

Tom,

Enjoy the OM-D. I think its a great camera and look also look forward to seeing a photo with the new grip.

In cleaning out some of my messages tonight I realized that the primary bag I am using for my OM-D came from you. It's Domke F-5xb. Obviously it's now missing the label.:)

Jim