Site Sponsors

Thread: OMG my only camera is my iPhone!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG my only camera is my iPhone!

I've gone through 3 new camera systems in the last couple of months, plus my "old" Sony A55 system that I sold. First I tried the NEX 7, but hated it from the first moment and sold it within a week. Then I went to the X-Pro1. I love it in many ways, and even posted an "essay" that it was the best–not too big, not too small. And in many ways I still think so. It feels great in hand. But the s-l-o-w AF lost too many shots for me. And the RAW issues are dismaying. I'm wondering if anyone will ever come out with a good RAW processor for their otherwise superior sensor. I love, love, love the 35mm lens. So then I bought a new OM-D locally. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven; the fast AF had me giggling. But it may be too small for me. And I really don't want the 12-50 that came with the body. I took it back. I could go back to it, though. And at the same time I sold all my Fuji kit. Made some on the NEX, lost some on the Fuji, broke even on the OM-D.

What's in heaven's name, you may ask, am I doing? OK, I felt I needed to just go cold turkey. Get all the gear out. Then take some time to breathe deeply and decide what it is that I want to do with my photography. Sometimes it feels like I like to own the gear more than use it, which is not healthy. Also, I think the timing is perfect with Photokina just around the corner. mFT is, I think, becoming a great standard with an explosion of new gear, and I want to see what new options will be revealed at Photokina. And maybe Fuji can win me back with a better camera. 6 weeks for me to detox. Then start again, with a better plan.

Right now, if I were to choose from real instead of rumored gear, I would get the OM-D, Milich grip, 12-35/2.8 for most of my shooting, the 45/1.8 so that I can shoot shallow DOF when the mood strikes, and the 100-300 to shoot the wildlife in the back yard. You have no idea how many lenses I've bought but really never used through the years. I want to stop that merry-go-round. And maybe blow through a little less dough. Why is that 12-35 so darn expensive, anyway?

One thing is certain. I will never be going back to FF or APS DSLR's. I always griped about the size and weight of the gear, and thought I was just a wimp because nobody else seemed to feel as I did. I feel vindicated now.

I'm posting this on the FT forum because that's the system that is calling to me the loudest now. But who knows...

BTW, did I say that some think I have a bit of OCD?
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OMG my only camera is my iPhone!

well I know how you feel. My other camera is my Nokia

in my view ...: Nokia E72 vs iPhone4s

and its so good (and the iPhone 4S is pretty darn close) that it beats my Panasonic compact

in my view ...: Nokia E72 cam VS digicam

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    BTW, did I say that some think I have a bit of OCD?
    Dear Tom: just go fishing ...

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My camera phone (iPhone 4S) is fun, quick, easy and always close to hand, but for me it is no substitute for a high end DSLR, when I really want to create an image worth printing, today or in the future. Just last week I took some pictures of a glacier with both the 4S and my Nikon D700. I emailed a few iPhone pics to friends right from the boat, but it is the D700 pics that I am printing tonight.....the iPhone doesn't even come close.

My OM-D, GH2 or G1 would suffice in a pinch, but if I could only have ONE camera, it would still be a DSLR, certainly not a camera phone. But that just my perspective.

Whatever works for you Tom, that's what matters.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth starting a new thread for this but.....

If you have a cellphone and a Dropbox account don't forget you can set the cellphone camera so it transmits every shot you take to your Dropbox.

Really neat if you are out without a camera. See a shot and take it with phone. You get home and the shot is there on your PC for any tweaking that it amuses you to apply.

Yes, you can download images from the phone to the PC by USB - but how nice not to have to bother.

Tony

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It certainly is a popular category of cameras.

I've never got on with the look produced ... to two D for me. Good for recording something I guess, but tougher in the area of artistic expression.

I'm doomed to carry FF or MF sensors and will have to put up with the body until someone stuffs a FF sensor into a NEX sized camera ... in the meantime, the M9 is the closest thing available for a small FF.

To each their own, as usual.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    ...until someone stuffs a FF sensor into a NEX sized camera ... in the meantime, the M9 is the closest thing available for a small FF.

-Marc
    It would be great but I am afraid the minimum distance between the lens and the sensor is a severe limiting factor in designing a compact camera with a 24x36 mm sensor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    It would be great but I am afraid the minimum distance between the lens and the sensor is a severe limiting factor in designing a compact camera with a 24x36 mm sensor.
    ...until someone decides to think out of the box a little. Sometimes it feels like such a difficult thing to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    the minimum distance between the lens and the sensor is a severe limiting factor in designing a compact camera with a 24x36 mm sensor.
    Olympus managed to overcome the equivalent of this problem on the XA, by means of some innovative design (called, IIRC, a "retrofocus" lens).

I'm not qualified to judge whether/how this could translate to a digital compact. However, it suggests that it might be possible, if the impetus exists to achieve it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, standing outside and looking at hour dilemma, don't you think you should think about what you want to accomplish with your photography and then look for the best system to accomplish that? We're at a point where we have so many options you should be able to find one that will satisfy your enjoyment of handling gear and yet allow you to get the images you want, be they just for your own fun, posting on the web and sharing or making prints.

I hope you find just the right tool for you, I've learned to value size and weight but m4/3 is small enough with good enough IQ to be just right, as Goldilocks said LOL. I'm loving my EM5.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Tom, standing outside and looking at hour dilemma, don't you think you should think about what you want to accomplish with your photography and then look for the best system to accomplish that?
    You hit the nail on the head., Diane That's somewhere in my original post, and it is really the heart of my diatribe, but it was obscured by the rest of my lengthy ramblings. I keep thinking I'm going to become a street photographer, or a portrait photographer, or a macro photographer, etc. Time to look at what I really do with a camera, which is my family, my cats, my home, and travel. I agree that the EM-5 is looking the best. At any rate, mirrorless (including "rangefinder style" like Fuji is doing) is here to stay and I will be in that camp somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you really did in your second paragraph and I think you're on the right track. Its hard to be really objective about what we really shoot, not what we imagine we will shoot

Good luck with your quest. My recent one was to find a camera that I think I can be happy with for maybe 4 years. I do think the EM5 will be that camera.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

While I understand and also share to a great part your thoughts (I am happily shooting an OMD myself with some selected lenses), I would give the D800E a try. This camera (I came from Hasselblad MFD) is a real winner - bringing almost MF quality with all the flexibility of a system like Nikon and produces stunning results. Especially combined with the right Zeiss ZF.2 glass!

So if you leave that one out you will miss a great part of the game! Really not comparable with the already great results from the OMD.

BTW, I also try to narrow down my number of systems and lenses!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    While I understand and also share to a great part your thoughts (I am happily shooting an OMD myself with some selected lenses), I would give the D800E a try.
    I love the idea of no AA filter, and I loved MF (Medium Format; I tried that, too!). But I'm not going to go back to 1kg cameras and lenses. And I have learned that it's AF only for me. Your comments are appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 24th July 2012 at 07:03.

Post Thanks / Like

And I have learned that it's AF only for me.
    This is interesting, as I rediscovered the beauty of MF when I got my Zeiss 1.4/35 ZF.2 for the D800E. This was the way I used to work some long years ago and was actually most time as quick as with even the trickiest AF.

So I really enjoy the new freedom, knowing I can turn on and use AF whenever I want.

MF on m43 I tried as well several times, but this is NOTHING for me. Eve with the OMD which is pretty good with its EVF, but handling is far too complicated. So I agree - for m43 I would also only go with AF.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the idea of no AA filter, and I loved MF (I tried that, too!). But I'm not going to go back to 1kg cameras and lenses.

NEX-5N (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/sony/3...c3-nex-5n.html).

They do have good sale value as well.

Edit: Coming to think of it, the iPhone cam may also not have an AA filter.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Stripping away the fog of Magpie Syndrome can take one effort. I applaud your decision to try.

The iPhone 4s can make some amazing photos. It's seriously constrained in sensitivity and ergonomics... You can view that as a plus to focus and expand your creativity.

I also find it increasingly difficult to justify carrying a DSLR sized camera. I haven't in many months now, and although have not sold off all the equipment I'm not using yet, the kit that I do use has grown smaller and tighter. It's more constrained—I feel my photographic interests reawakening in the process.

kwstas

iphone has such good camera!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwstas View Post
    iphone has such good camera!
    Don't do that to me! Now I have to upgrade from my iPhone 4 to the 4s.

Post Thanks / Like

A least wait for the iPhone5

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I only speak of the 4S as that's the only iPhone I've owned...

Two At Dinner - Cupertino 2012
    iPhone 4S - Snapseed
    ©2012 Godfrey DiGiorgi

.. but I'm sure the iPhone 4 does a good job too. Doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, the camera in the 4s is worlds better than in the 4; it was one of the major upgreades in that model. And don't think that it didn't cause me to consider upgrading early.

At any rate, this is a serious consideration these days as cell phone cameras are nearly as good as a pocket P&S in image quality (features and ergonomics are something else). I really have thought about it, but I know I want more. And I do want a better camera phone as that is the camera that I always have with me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job. I use the Camera+ app although there are a lot of other camera apps, some may be better, but I haven't tried them. Like every camera, it is compromised in many ways, so it could never be my only camera, but it also has features that nothing else has regardless of price...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job. I use the Camera+ app although there are a lot of other camera apps, some may be better, but I haven't tried them. Like every camera, it is compromised in many ways, so it could never be my only camera, but it also has features that nothing else has regardless of price...
    Yes.

My iPhone/iPad camera apps are the built-in and "8mm" for video plus the built-in, "Mattebox", "Hueless" and "ShakeItPhoto" for stills. I have a few others but these are the ones that present the features and quality I like. Some of these do pretty well even with the iPad 2's rather limited camera–the iPhone 4S is yards better than that one.

Snapseed on the iPhone is superb, but it's even better when used on the iPad. My iPhone photography workflow is to capture with the iPhone and transfer all images to the iPad, process there (as with the photo above). Everything accumulates on the iPad that way, so when I get back to my desk, all the photos (new captures and finished works) get moved into Lightroom and my regular image archives.

We're getting away from the original focus of Tom's post, I suspect... ;-)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, you didn't say much about the NEX 7 other than you hated it. I'm curious why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    We're getting away from the original focus of Tom's post, I suspect... ;-)
    Did I have a focus?
    Seriously, I touched on a number of topics. So I don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tom:

You're in the enviable position of being able to start with a clean slate in picking your next camera system.

By the way, you can get additional lenses for your iphone....
    Olloclip Quick-Connect Lens Solution for iPhone 4S/4 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Now, that olloclip and an iphone 4S would be the ultimate lightweight travel kit.

cheers....
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Hi Tom:

You're in the enviable position of being able to start with a clean slate in picking your next camera system.
    You have no idea how painful it is to sit and do nothing! I need to learn to meditate.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, you didn't say much about the NEX 7 other than you hated it. I'm curious why?
    I can't speak to Tom's feelings, but when I went to play with the NEX 7 at the store, I also felt an immediate dislike for it. Similar to how I felt for the X100. Just felt wrong to me, disliked the controls and menus, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert and Godfrey, I'll say a bit more. I didn't like the feel in hand, was constantly finding that I had inadvertently changed exposure compensation, and was forever taking unintended movies. And I couldn't make quick adjustments as the menus were confusing. And a completely impossible to measure sense that it was cold and too complicated. No emotional bond, though others may not find that important. Plus the lens lineup left me dissatisfied. Too bad that the 18-200 is so big.

Post Thanks / Like

The iPhone 4S is always with me and does a great job.
    exactly ... and as the old saying goes "the best camera you have is the one you have with you".

I have no intention of passing my m4/3 over for my Nokia but having my phone with me so much means that I've always got "something" to grab a good shot.

So I can get 'something' when opportunities like this come up:

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Resistance is futile. And the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

I bought a silver OM-D body from Samy's, Panasonic 12-35mm from Amazon, and picked up second hand but never used Oly 45mm/1.8 and Panasonic 100-300mm at FM. Everything arrived today, I'm excited. I don't think I'll have time to try it out for a day or two, though. Since the size was a bit too small, Jim Milich's grip is on the way as we speak.

Instant kit.

There may be other goodies announced next month at Photokina, but I want a camera now and who knows how long it will be until the new products are available.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Well, enjoy it! I'm sure you will. The E-M5 is an excellent camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Resistance is futile. And the money was burning a hole in my pocket.

I bought a silver OM-D body from Samy's, Panasonic 12-35mm from Amazon, and picked up second hand but never used Oly 45mm/1.8 and Panasonic 100-300mm at FM. Everything arrived today, I'm excited. I don't think I'll have time to try it out for a day or two, though. Since the size was a bit too small, Jim Milich's grip is on the way as we speak.

Instant kit.

There may be other goodies announced next month at Photokina, but I want a camera now and who knows how long it will be until the new products are available.
    Please give us some feedback on Jim's grip please, and maybe some pics on the silver since you will get the new taller and black grip.

Enjoy the EM5. i'm liking it more than I thought I would--its great fun to shoot.

Diane

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,

Enjoy the OM-D. I think its a great camera and look also look forward to seeing a photo with the new grip.

In cleaning out some of my messages tonight I realized that the primary bag I am using for my OM-D came from you. It's Domke F-5xb. Obviously it's now missing the label.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Tom,
    In cleaning out some of my messages tonight I realized that the primary bag I am using for my OM-D came from you. It's Domke F-5xb. Obviously it's now missing the label.

Jim
    I shoulda kept it. Glad it found a good home.