The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus 75mm f1.8

cjlacz

I posted a few photos in the fun with the OM-D thread earlier, but I thought I'd start a new fun with thread. I don't shoot models or have much experience with lighting, so I know these have a lot of problems, but I hope you enjoy them.

And one from earlier

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Very nice, Charles. I pre-ordered the lens and am patiently (or not so) waiting for it to arrive in the US.

cjlacz

Charles, can you add information about aperture on each photo?
Hmm, is the EXIF not present? I can't tell on this machine. Anywhere here is the info.

#1 - Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75 mm, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f6.3
#2 - Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75 mm, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f1.8
#3 - Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75 mm, ISO 200, 1/200 sec, f5
#4 - Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75 mm, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f5
#5 - Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75 mm, ISO 200, 1/250 sec, f5.6
#6 - It's a f1.8

Most of the models were taken during a workshop were we playing with flash, thus the low shutter speeds and higher apertures. I think #2 is slightly soft, but from my other images I'm sure that's my fault and not the lens.

And I just want to say how awesome you guys and gals are compared to other unnamed forums out there. Thanks for the kind comments and I'll strive to do better next time.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since so many have this lens now, it's time to re-start the old thread. Here are a few images from today with the 75mm:

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

GH3 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Last edited:

G43

Jørgen..

The rendition is so recognizable. The soft subtle fine rendition combined with stunning sharpness is rare and unique. The lens range among the best in the world for the focal length and I consider it being one of few that has a beautiful soul and a great heart inside it :)

I own a PL 42,5mm Nocticron too. That's likewise a stunning sharp lens. It renders beautifully as well but provides a tad more technical look, if I may say. OK a different purpose lens.

I promise to post some goodies taken with the 75mm.

JBurnett

A couple of weeks ago I photographed the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival -- a 4-day music festival held in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (it's a volunteer job). There are several outdoor venues around the town and a number of workshops held in churches. For the church sites, and the main stage tent in the evening, it was ISO 1600, f/1.8 or f/2 all the way, and shutter speeds as low as 1/40th. Took over 1000 photos, and probably 2/3 of them with the Olympus 75mm. What a great lens, and a real life-saver in these situations, because I wasn't always able to get closer. These have been lightly edited in LR and jpegs bulk exported.

ISO 1600, f/2, 1/50

ISO 1600 f/1.8, 1/100

ISO 1600 f/2.8, 1/160

ISO 160, f/2.8, 1/1000

ISO 160, f/3.2, 1/2000

G43

.... what a lovely lens it is - here's something a bit different:

Convolvulus arvensis​
Yes Jano... it is one of the few MFT lenses that renders not only silky soft, tack sharp but and have a soul (rendering) of its own.
I did a series with the lens yesterday and it counts several keepers. Will curate and PP in some days and show a few goodies.

Close to the 75 soul is the trully stunning PL 25mm f1,4 and finally, 100% perfection comes together in the PL Nocticron 42,5mm f1,2.

I am awaiting a 35mm and a wide to appear that will show the inherent magic the 3 above Kings in MFT town shows.