Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: OMD w/Thumbs Up

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member KurtKamka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    26

    OMD w/Thumbs Up

    I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but the small Thumbs Up that was made for the Fuji X100 is a nice addition to the OMD if you are looking for a little more stability when shooting with one hand. It's clearly not made for the OMD as it doesn't fit all the way in the hot shoe, but personally I'm ok with a little less snugness to be able to get the one hand operation I'm looking for. Just a thought for anyone who has one lying around.

    Kurt

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Must say, I find the built in thumb grip on the OMD works pretty well, it's almost exactly the same shape as the thumbs up anyway!

    Just this guy you know

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    That looks perfect for someone with several thumbs, like myself

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Frankly Kurt, I'm totally flabbergasted how you should hold that contraption.
    To me that short thumbs-up model looks very odd on the camera.
    But can you show us, please ?

    All the best.
    Bart ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    I don't think it will catch on, and Olympus already make the accessory for one handed shooting with the grip module.

    Steve

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    I have to agree with Jono. The built in thumb rest works really well. I had considered getting the grip but I find shooting with the naked EM5 (question here--consensus in referral, EM5 or OMD????) just fine. Granted I have women's hands, but not particularly small. I think Olympus did a good job in placing the thumb rest but I also admit to being a two handed shooter. I've never liked one handed shooting with any camera except maybe a phone cam and I also haven't figured out just how you would hold the camera with that "Thumbs Up".

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    E-M5.

    For me it was the opposite; the built in grip doesn't work for me at all.
    When I got the grip it was exactly what was needed for me to keep the camera. It's a pity (for me and my hand, and my wallet) that the price increased for getting a decent one hand grip (not for shooting but for shooting and simply holding the camera). The access to the battery compartment is also affected. But, with the horizontal grip part only the tripod socket aligns with the lens and that feels good.

    my cents,

    Jonas

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    E-M5.

    For me it was the opposite; the built in grip doesn't work for me at all.
    When I got the grip it was exactly what was needed for me to keep the camera. It's a pity (for me and my hand, and my wallet) that the price increased for getting a decent one hand grip (not for shooting but for shooting and simply holding the camera). The access to the battery compartment is also affected. But, with the horizontal grip part only the tripod socket aligns with the lens and that feels good.

    my cents,

    Jonas
    I might like it better with grip (know I don't want battery grip as I've been there done that a number of times with DSLRs) and maybe should try it before I settle. I am never a one handed shooter though so that doesn't enter into it. I do like the grip on my G1 and did add the leather cover to improve the grip on the GF1 but was perfectly happy with the G3 smaller grip. The thumb rest though is in the right place for me and feels good for that part of the handling. I hate to buy the grip and not like it but suppose I could sell it if it doesn't work for me. I do hate to add to size of the camera body which is 'just right'--for me. Maybe it is just right with the lenses I shoot with though. I'm rarely a tele shooter and mostly have 25/1.4 or 45/2.8 and now the 12-50 mounted and only sometimes carry my 45-200 or ZD9-18.

    Diane

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts
    1,309
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Re-reading my last post was a bad experience. I could hardly understand myself. Lol. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

    @Kurt: I don't think the Thumbs up is for me but thanks for sharing the idea and the images.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    North Carolina western foothills
    Posts
    1,860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Re-reading my last post was a bad experience. I could hardly understand myself. Lol. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

    @Kurt: I don't think the Thumbs up is for me but thanks for sharing the idea and the images.
    For what its worth, probably not much LOL, I believe I understood you. Unlike so many of our nonUS posters, I can only read, write and speak US English and can read a bit of Spanish. I am always amazed at the fluency of English our European brethren exhibit--and our friends south of us too.

    Diane

  11. #11
    Member Bill Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Scarboro, Ontario
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: OMD w/Thumbs Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    For what its worth, probably not much LOL, I believe I understood you. Unlike so many of our nonUS posters, I can only read, write and speak US English and can read a bit of Spanish. I am always amazed at the fluency of English our European brethren exhibit--and our friends south of us too.

    Diane
    Hi Diane...wot about Ur friends north of the 49th?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •