The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which bag for the OM D

Jeffg53

I'm looking for a bag to carry my OM D, 25, 45, 75 and 100-300 around. My current collection are too big or small. The ability to add an iPad would be great. Can anyone offer words of wisdom, please?

Diane B

I'm looking for a bag to carry my OM D, 25, 45, 75 and 100-300 around. My current collection are too big or small. The ability to add an iPad would be great. Can anyone offer words of wisdom, please?
I'm in US so don't know if this will help. I'm like you, too many bags, but none worked--too big or too small. Someone on another forum suggested the Lowepro Event Messenger 150. I carry the EM5, 12-50, 25/1.4, 45/.2.8, 45-200 or ZD9-18 and NR filters, batteries, cards, some personal things and it has an Ipad slip.

Review: Lowepro Event Messenger 150

Lowepro - Event Messenger

Hope this helps.

Diane

sangio

Hi Jeff,

I just checked my storage closet and found eight camera bags; and I'm sure I've sold or thrown out eight others.

For travel, I've been using a Tenba Messenger Mini. Works great and it has a sleeve for an iPad or 13" laptop. It holds my OM-D and G1 with lenses attached, plus two more lenses, filters, batteries, etc. I especially like the zipper across the top that lets me pull out out a camera without opening the (noisy, velcroed) front flap.

Tenba - Messenger: Mini Photo/Laptop Bag

Regards
Santo

Diane B

Nice! I dislike most Domke bags because they emblazon their name on the outside. This one hides it under the front flap.
LOL, I agree with you Tom, so I cut the labels off on all 3 of my Domke bags. I use the small Domke F-5xb for the OMD with 2 or 3 lenses but no place for the Ipad. My Domke 'Little Bit Smaller' has plenty of room for lenses but isn't deep enough for the Ipad and because of the way it organizes lenses beside each other rather than stacking them means it is a 'thicker" bag hanging beside your body and doesn't easily work across body which is how I prefer to carry a bag spreading the weight and not all on one shoulder.

That's why I bought the Event Messenger--just the right size--for me.

Rich M

I've been using a Domke canvas satchel. Olive color, doesn't look like a camera bag, and an iPad tucks in the back. OMD, 4-5 lenses, RX100, batteries,etc.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
Matt....never liked Domke's.......no padding. Don't know if I needed it, but know that it's not there.

Expensive.......but I'm a fan of the Billingham's.....and the back pouch JUST fits an iPad.

R

Jeffg53

Thanks folks, lot of food for thought there.I will also look at the Artisan and Artist bags. Like Billingham, they are expensive but very good. I have found that with the grip attached it becomes quite deep but the shoulder bags seem like the way to go, particularly for air travel.

pgmj

I use a Billingham Hadley Digital, though mostly with smaller lenses than those you mention. It has expansion possibilities as well as some bigger models being available. A very nicely designed bag that really keeps things safe.

Hadley Camera Bags - Billingham

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Billinghams are beautiful, but too heavy for me. Domke and fstopgear are light, but you have to arrange your own padding. With the Domke, I use lens wraps. Fstopgear provides inserts, so you can take as much or as little padding as you desire. My Billinghams are gathering dust and will be sold soon.

--Matt

pgmj

Indeed, the Hadley Digital is almost 500g. Camera with 4 lenses, grip and extra battery about 1200g.

jnewell

I had a similar requirement. I wanted to carry two bodies, so I went with the Retrospective 10. If I had a single body, the Retrospective 5 is a little smaller and actually has better storage for an iPad. I'm very pleased with every aspect of the Retrospective 10.

Lorne Miller

...1st post for me on this forum, I "found" it yesterday while browsing for OM-D info, good to catch up to Jono after missing his input for quite awhile. Anyway, I just bought my 2nd OM-D last week, so needed a bag to carry two of them, four lenses, and accompanying accessories. I ended up getting the Domke F3X in sand colored canvas, and so far it looks like it will be a great fit, not too bulky, a bit of room for expansion, and it doesn't scream "CAMERA BAG"...;)

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Diane B

...1st post for me on this forum, I "found" it yesterday while browsing for OM-D info, good to catch up to Jono after missing his input for quite awhile. Anyway, I just bought my 2nd OM-D last week, so needed a bag to carry two of them, four lenses, and accompanying accessories. I ended up getting the Domke F3X in sand colored canvas, and so far it looks like it will be a great fit, not too bulky, a bit of room for expansion, and it doesn't scream "CAMERA BAG"...;)

cheers,

Lorne Miller
I have had this bag for a number of years in black canvas. I use it for my 5D plus several big EF lenses. Is it not too big for EM5 system? I considered it but thought it was too tall and had no place for Ipad. The back and front pocket are either not tall enough or wide enough. I have always loved the bag for my 5D smaller kit so would love to know how you will use it for m4/3. I also have the 'little bit smaller' in sand canvas which is a terrific bag too but too 'fat' along my body for same number of lenses compare to my LP Event Messenger (and I use the 5xb for my very small m4/3 kit--body and two lenses, batteries, ND filters, etc.)

Diane

Last edited:

JMaher

I'm curious about the F3x as I have it as well but never thought it would work well with the OM-D. I am currently using the f5xb with the Domke label cut off. It holds the camera with either the 12-50 or the 25 on the camera and the other lens in a separate section. I can also squeeze in the 45 and flash with no problem. Obviously no room for an iPad.

Jim

JMaher

Tom,

Slide a sharp knife under the label and just cut the threads. Just a few minutes work and the label is gone. Sounds harder than it is.

Jim

bavanor

I have been using the Think Tank Urban Disguise 50 for over 3 years for a Panasonic G1 and now with my new EM-5. This is a great camera for urban and suburban environments and travel on planes ( it fits under the seat no problem). I can fit the camera with kit lens, the 4/3 50-200mmlens, 4/3 50mmlens and adapter, really right stuff tp-243 tripod, acratech ball head, iPad or small laptop,hard drives, batteries and cables, water bottle and othe misc items. Great bag.

But for Rural and hiking areas it doesn't work that great. So I just bought the fstop gear Kenti backpack. Awesome bag as well. Fits my EM-5 with grip 12-50 mm lens, m4/3 7-14 mm lens, 4/3 50-200mmlens, 4/3 50mmlens and adapter, really right stuff tp-243 tripod, acratech ball head, iPad, water bottle, jacket, sweater, and other misc items. I just got back from Glacier National Park while using this bag on multiple hikes, walks, kayaking and just walking around towns, traveling in car and buses. Worked great. Just the complement I needed to my think tank bag.

Aaron