Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Show or tell us: your OMD with grip (Oly or Milich)

Post Thanks / Like

Show or tell us: your OMD with grip (Oly or Milich)

To my knowledge, there are 2 grips now available, and one more not yet available. The grip options from our own John Milich (username jlm) is available in addition to the official Olympus HLD-6. The offering from Really Right Stuff isn't shipping yet.

Can you show us your OMD with grip attached, plus any comments? My preference has always been to avoid making my camera any bigger or heavier, but on a camera this small, my mind remains open.

Even if you don't have a pic to show, tell us why you do or do not prefer to use either grip.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 27th July 2012 at 09:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us your OMD with grip

ARI_20120727_164543.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr
    ARI_20120727_164435.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr
    ARI_20120727_164346.jpg di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr
    I have never removed the grip from the camera after I bought it.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Show or tell us: your OMD with grip (Oly or Milich)

Hi Tom:

I ordered the OM-D with the Olympus grip before Jim had his version available.
    The camera with the upper portion of the grip feels great, with much improved ergonomics compared to the "naked" camera.

Unlike most people, I really don't care for the handling with the bottom battery compartment attached, so it's never on the camera. But yes, changing the battery is a minor PITA. I really like having the extra shutter release and control wheel on the grip, but I may get one of Jim's grips if changing the battery really starts bothering me.

Some pics below....

Regards
    Santo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With the teeny Zuiko

Compared to its big(er) sister

FWIW Tom, I'm still very happy with the grip !

All the best.
    Last edited by Knorp; 27th July 2012 at 22:04.
    Bart ...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ario, which hand strap is that? i always preferred using a hand strap on my DSLR's.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, is the original dedicated Olympus Hand Strap GS-4, 39 here in Italy.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is mine, here with the Zuiko M. 12/2.0, the horizontal part of the original Olympus grip attached, the way I normally uses it:

The grip is, to me at least, essential. (I hope Olympus, one good day, will release a firmware update making it possible to use the camera's front control dial and shutter release button for something else now that their functions are doubled.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to ask. Which hand strap, Jonas?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Tom, I should have mentioned that.
    Normally I don't use any handstrap. The image was taken just before I left Sweden for a visit to Barcelona, Spain. Then I removed my Arca-Swiss plate and instead mounted this contraption from Camdapter (Manfrotto fit QR plate plus strap). It's OK but they don't make anything for my new head which is an Arca-Swiss p0 head with slidefix mount so I work without handstrap now.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a Really Right Stuff Grip and L-Plate combo. RRS Grip

I use the HLD-6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CPWarner View Post
    There is also a Really Right Stuff Grip and L-Plate combo. RRS Grip
    Correct. I did mention it in the first post, but it is not shipping yet. Interestingly, they are producing a model designed for the silver body.

Can someone please tell me in which piece of the HLD-6 is the bottom strap slot located?

I'm leaning towards the Milich since it does not have to be removed to access the battery. Does someone have pics of that one? His post here has a few.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 27th July 2012 at 18:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Correct. I did mention it in the first post, but it is not shipping yet.

Can someone please tell me in which piece of the HLD-6 is the bottom strap slot located?

I'm leaning towards the Milich since it does not have to be removed to access the battery. Does someone have pics of that one?
    The bottom strap is on the bottom battery compartment. The top portion of the grip that you see in Jonas' and my previous posts does not have this slot.

Regards
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a silver body they can show?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Milich adapter since earlier and it's a wonderful little thing, precisely machined and with nice finish. I'm not sure about this grip though; before buying one I would like to know how it feels to hold the camera and what it would be like having a grip without a shutter release.
    One can probably get used to everything but if I hold the E-M5 with the horizontal (or landscape) part of the Olympus grip attached it feels strange, or even awkward, trying to reach the camera's front control dial and shutter release. But, the Milich grip doesn't extend all the way up to the camera's top plate so perhaps it feels better; I imagine the middle finger can find a resting point above the top of the grip and then it may be comfortable reaching the shutter release with the index finger. I would like to try before buying it.
    In the end, I'm very happy with the Olympus grip. It's well made and the controls have the same feeling as those on the camera body. I don't switch battery often enough to worry about the little work with that. When necessary the portrait part of the grip can be attached and then you got the power and more controls as well.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A pic of mine

The idea is to rest the middle finger on top of the grip where it is perfectly located to operate the main dial whilst leaving the first finger for the shutter and function buttons

Underneath, the battery cab accessed and there is a removable pin for a hand strap

Linh

Don't have pics on hand, but I don't think it adds anything as John (jlm)'s pics would mirror mine (except I have no left mount). It's a solid piece of engineering. I have not tested fit for the arca-swiss mount (don't have anything for it), but I'm confident it fits.

I must say I love the grip so far. It is very comfortable in hand and the addition of a hand strap point is very nice (not sure I'll use it, but saves me from buying a camdapter). Centering of the tripod mount is also great because I don't need any accessories for my nodal ninja either.

But the real kicker on this? That battery door opening. I do events part time, and the E-M5 always on is a battery killer. But shooting with a grip for an event is almost a necessity for me as I have a flash mounted. Doing this w/ the Oly grip would drive me insane as I can't access the inside battery (and I don't necessarily want the portrait grip either). This... solves that problem =)

As for downsides, price is probably one of them. It's not cheap and you don't get a forward button.. but this doesn't bother me as none of the grip options are cheap =/ I also might add a thin piece of felt or something behind the grip to isolate it some, but not sure it's necessary. Oh, and you'll likely have to carry the allen wrench with you in case you need to remove or tighten the grip.

Overall, definitely a buy. The RSS one for me was excessive since I don't need an L bracket, and the grip looks larger than John's. Oh, John is also a stand up guy, this helps a lot, too =) I wish I had more things to buy from him (well, short of custom non-camera work.. I wouldn't be able to likely afford that, hah)

Post Thanks / Like

Linh, I hear you, I understand the idea behind John's grip and as an earlier customer (I bought one of the first LTM--> 4/3 adapters from John) I know John provides a friendly and good service.
    But... I have to ask how you find the grip when it comes to stability; having the middle finger on top of the grip while handling the shutter and the button with the index finger leaves only two more fingers to hold the the whole package. Is it good enough?

For me the battery switching problem using the Olympus horizontal grip is a minor problem as I seldom is in any hurry. As mentioned I might mount the portrait part as well when needed. The hand strap pin is good (Olympus doesn't offer that), the centered tripod mount is good (same as with Olympus, and yes, I have a Nodal Ninja as well).

John, finally, what is the weight of your grip, in grams if possible?

Linh

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    But... I have to ask how you find the grip when it comes to stability; having the middle finger on top of the grip while handling the shutter and the button with the index finger leaves only two more fingers to hold the the whole package. Is it good enough?

For me the battery switching problem using the Olympus horizontal grip is a minor problem as I seldom is in any hurry.
    For the handling.. I don't have a problem with it. But I switch between two and three fingers because I don't always have my middle finger on top. And when I do, I'm still wrapping around the top toward the inside. And in addition, the camera is sorta cradled in my hand anyway. No matter how I hold it, it feels more secure than it naked. BUT, I didn't really feel insecure with it naked.. just that the grip does add more oomph for holding.

As for the battery, yeah, that is a very subjective thing. I know I've read folks go the whole day w/o swapping. But for me, it was a huge factor.

I should also add I have not had any trouble w/ the camera sitting on the table either. No balance issues (tho, the longest lens I have is the 12-50, and the heaviest is probably the PL25 or 12/2)

Post Thanks / Like

I too have John's grip but I hold it differently than Linh. I use three fingers on the grip - my forefinger adjusts the front dial and presses the shutter - my thumb adjusts the rear dial and stabilizes on the thumb rest.

I have somewhat large hands and find using the grip this way makes the whole combo feel quite natural and easy in my hand. I wouldn't consider using the OMD without it now. It really completes the camera.

The battery opening doesn't seem like a big deal until that time when you lose track of the charge and suddenly you have a dead battery message. Then being able to pop it out and shove in a fresh one quickly makes you happy it's there.

I use the bottom hand strap pin to connect my home made sling (1" poly webbing, locking strap adjuster, O ring and Le Hook quick release). The strap, a Gordy wrist strap, and the whole thing works beautifully.
    Bob Trancho

Post Thanks / Like

Not that appearance would sway me, but would someone with Jim's grip and a silver OMD please show their camera. I'm still not sure I want a grip but I know I don't want the battery/portrait grip as I've done that with a number of DLSRs over the years. Consequently I hate to buy the whole deal.

I like that it doesn't cover the battery, that it is lighter. Is it black? It doesn't appear to be and the description makes me think not. With the newer one I can't make out how much higher it is to make for probably better ergonomics for me. I've also used an L bracket but not sure how much time this one will see on tripod either. So--IF possible I'd like to see a newer one on a silver body, tilted a bit so I can see grip to shutter button (not asking much )

Forget photo. Found John's again LOL. However, from photo still can't tell color. Is it just anodized aluminum color?

Oh, does anyone have or remember the old Canon E1 wrist strap? Wondering if it would work with this. I also don't think I can use Jim's method of using the middle finger. I tried to position hand that way and just don't feel it would work. I would imagine I will be more likely to use Bob's holding method with 3 fingers on the grip, index for front and shutter and two top buttons (I have set Fn. 2 for AEL and rec. for multi). thumb for back dial

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Jonas: the Milich grip is specified as 80g, I think. Just weighed mine at 78g.

It took me a while to find a good way to use the grip, especially since I find the strap placement suboptimal. Now it doesn't leave the camera. Stabilizes well enough for my Leica 80-200/4, which is the biggest lens I use on the OM-D.

Btw Jonas, I will be briefly in Gothenburg on the 4th of August. If you want to try the grip just send me a pm.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is mine with the Oly grip.

My OM-D E-M5 + Camdapter Strap by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

I am contemplating switching to John's grip since it would make switching batteries easier (I have two third party batteries that fit too tightly in the grip but are fine in the camera body).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: if you're talking about the RRS camera plates: they emailed me that they didn't get enough interest for it, so won't be making it, despite the owner having received his OMD. Good old supply and demand issue!

Linh

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    However, from photo still can't tell color. Is it just anodized aluminum color?
    pretty much. The first gen was darker, but a bit slick. I guess that's another downside I hadn't considered, it doesn't quite match anything, heh.

eastwes

Hello everyone... I've been "lurking" here for some time but felt compelled to write in with my first post offering my 2 sense on John's OMD grip.

First let me just say that before purchasing one, I decided to avail myself of the opportunity to give John a buzz as he too is located in Brooklyn. He was very gracious and invited me to stop by his STATE-OF-THE-ART metal fabrication business (located in the iconic Brooklyn Navy Yard since the early 80's). John caters to high-end architectural clients requiring custom designed and machined / fabricated metal-work (read $1M custom designed staircases, etc). His 10,000 sq. ft. facility features state-of-the-art CNC, water jet, laser cutting machinery as well as the traditional metal working machinery of the trade. John employs 10 full time skilled craftsmen here. To say that I was impressed with his facility would be a gross understatement. This was my first clue that John knows what he's doing...

The second clue? How about the fact the he's an avid photographer that shoots with top-end gear (Leica M / digital, Phase One 65, Rolleiflex, Sony NEX and of course the OLY OMD -- which he asserted was his "favorite"). With this in mind, I'm sure that many of you already own his other custom designed photo gadgets (Leica M adapters, etc). The guy is a genius and at this point I was feeling real lucky to have him in my back yard!

Getting back to reality, I finally had an opportunity to have a look and get my hands on his latest OMD grip. As many have already opined, it's jewel-like and beautifully designed / machined. Although well finished, it still retains a sort of industrial look to its "polished" anodized finish.

Without getting into all of the details of how I use it and which fingers go where, let me just say that it just works. I'm a pro photographer and I shoot A LOT of images at any given time. Without John's grip I often felt that the OMD was going to slip out of my hand -- tiny and slippery as it is. With the grip installed the camera feels VERY secure and snug in my hand and although it obviously adds more "bulk" to the OMD's tiny dimensions, the camera / grip combo have a stealthy feel to them. Do I miss having an additional shutter release button?!? NOPE.

What else is really cool about John's grip? How about that changing the battery or switching SD cards is a cinch? No need to remove the grip to get at either. Despite that the bottom plate doesn't extend the full width of the OMD's base (which I initially thought would irritate me to no end) the camera & grip combo is well balanced and when in use, feels like a natural extension of my hand.

Anything bother me about it? Yeah, I don't like the fact that one has to carry the right sized allen wrench along in order to remove it. That said, unless you're simply sick and tired of the visual aesthetic with the grip installed, one really wouldn't have a practical reason to remove it. Right?!? Price?!? John's rate is $200 / hour. Considering the level of sophistication and CUSTOM design that's gone into his [100% US manufactured] grip (now in its second iteration), and the fact that it's CNC machined out of billet aircraft grade aluminum, anodized and then custom fitted with the strap thingy, etc, I consider it a bargain.

Enough said. John's grip is a winner in my humble opinion. Here's a pic of my OMD / Milich Grip.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anodizing formula has been adjusted and now the parts are jet black. The grip portion also has a textured surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    FYI: if you're talking about the RRS camera plates: they emailed me that they didn't get enough interest for it, so won't be making it, despite the owner having received his OMD. Good old supply and demand issue!
    I also received such an email, but it was the L-plate to go onto the OMD+HLD-6 that they abandoned. They are going forward with the modular l-plate and grip to go directly on the OMD.

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of grip choice, I decided to stay with the HLD-6 for now as I find I prefer both parts of the grip. Mainly, because it rests in my hand better. First, the additional vertical grip portion gives something for my pinkie finger to hook on. Without the vertical portion I find there is nothing for it to grab. Second. the end of the vertical grip rests against the palm of my hand allowing for an easier, more relaxed grip. I did find a generic L-plate, the Sunwayfoto DPL-01, that works well with the HLD-6. The only problem being that it blocks the battery door. In terms of batteries. the HLD-6 is annoying, but once I actually get a spare from Olympus, it will just head out with two and that should last the day. If not, I will replace the one in the camera as that is the easiest with full grip and l-plate on.

Post Thanks / Like

It seem as we all like our grips. I wonder if anyone tried both the available ones and can post a sensible comparison?

@pgmj; Thank you for your kind offer. I already have the Olympus grip (or the HLD-6) and I'm happy with it. I have a friend though who wants my opinion on grips so I'll send you a PM.

eastwes

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Anodizing formula has been adjusted and now the parts are jet black. The grip portion also has a textured surface.
    Please post new photos John.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eastwes View Post
    Hello everyone... I've been "lurking" here for some time but felt compelled to write in with my first post offering my 2 sense on John's OMD grip.
    Your first post ever sounds too much like advertising for my taste.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Nah, he's just excited about the excellent products John makes.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sangio View Post
    Hi Tom:

I ordered the OM-D with the Olympus grip before Jim had his version available.
    The camera with the upper portion of the grip feels great, with much improved ergonomics compared to the "naked" camera.

Unlike most people, I really don't care for the handling with the bottom battery compartment attached, so it's never on the camera. But yes, changing the battery is a minor PITA. I really like having the extra shutter release and control wheel on the grip, but I may get one of Jim's grips if changing the battery really starts bothering me.

Some pics

Regards
    Santo
    This one wins the beauty contest, in my view. Very nice.

John
    Last edited by JohnW; 30th July 2012 at 11:39.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

typically i don't make a product like this grip unless i see an oversight in what is available. so...at the time, the Oly grip was in very short supply, cost over $350, covered the battery, bulked up the camera, still has the tripod mount off the lens center, has no hand strap provision or Arca plate gooves, etc.

I agree it looks appealing; personally, I would never buy one for such a trim camera as the OMD.

the point was to offer a different choice in grip and features and get it out there asap
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all.
    New poster here. I just ordered the black, OMD grip from Jlm.
    The workmanship and fit looks good so I became a customer.
    My first micro 4/3s camera...OMD will be here tomorrow, and I know ahead of time I'll need a grip.

I presently have a Sony Nex5n that I am in the process of selling.
    The IQ and high ISO is great but the AF drove me up the wall, hunt, hunt, focus refocus, waaay too slow and the lens selection is not the best.
    From what I've researched of the OMD, it should work out just dandy.

eastwes

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Hello AnnaT,

Wow . Sorry you feel that way. Rest assured that I am in no way affiliated with John or his products and I paid full price for my grip ($125). NO DISCOUNT either.

That said, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and before committing to buying John's grip, I wanted to see it in person and try it out. I'm just as busy as the next guy, but still took the time to go over and meet john and see his facility. As stated in my "ad", I was very impressed with John and his business and wanted to share my first hand experience. If you're looking for a functional and well thought out grip alternative to the OLY or other offerings out there, John's is absolutely first rate.

Sure hope this clears the air for you. This is supposed to be fun for me, and I'm not looking for confrontation. Just trying to be helpful (responding to the "show or tell us" thread request).

Oh, and I also took the time out of my life to photograph the grip on my own OM-D (like the others here that were kind enough to share their personal experiences).

Cheers-

Wes

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sold my Oly grip and ordered one from John! Can't wait for it to arrive!

jacobsen1

just modded for use with my spider:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

HAving the Oly grip and using the shutter release on the grip all the time I wonder how good you reach the shutter release button with the JM grip?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John's design is like the Leica grip design which add more grabbing surface for larger hands, but no extra controls. The Oly grip has a little protrusion at the top (where the controls are) that naturally forces you to hold it lower. Grips like John's basically enlarge the existing handholds, so you hold the camera the same way (almost) you would without the grip. WHen mine arrives, I will post some shots of my hand holding the camera with the grip on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    HAving the Oly grip and using the shutter release on the grip all the time I wonder how good you reach the shutter release button with the JM grip?
    I have medium women's hands. I actually find it more ergonomically 'right' for using the shutter button as well as the two dials--it allows me to move my fingers a bit forward and up if I'm describing it well. I tried John's technique of resting the second finger on the top of the grip, using index and thumb for the two dials and index for shutter. It should be comfortable for a man I would think. To add--it takes a bit of practice for a short time--or for me because I needed to learn a bit different hand hold.

For those that are thinking of the combo-- I'm a two handed shooter and I decided leaving the L bracket on the left all the time actually made it more comfortable for my left palm.

Diane
    Last edited by Diane B; 12th August 2012 at 09:50.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great Diane, I'm waiting for the customs and postal service and I'm looking forward to mount John's grip.

jerryk

Sorry for bring up this old thread, but has anyone tried the RSS grip? Looks like it works with their plates and comes in black or silver.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the RRS grip/L-plate setup after it became readily available as I was fed up with removing the HLD-6 grip to change batteries. Plus, I have wanted a good L-plate option. I liked it so much that I sold my HLD-6.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Has anyone tried the Gariz leather case for the OMD? It has a metal base with cut out so that the battery hatch can be accessed without removing the case.
    It also protects the camera body from knocks and scrapes.

I use a Gariz case on my Fuji X1Pro and it is very well made and does exactly as it says on the tin. You might even get a bit of change from the cost of a 3rd party hand grip!

Details at http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-gen...ase-black.html
    Last edited by dhsimmonds; 12th November 2012 at 06:51.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John's grip looks perfect... I don't know if you read this John, but have you considered making the hand piece out of wood? Piano black hardwood would look equally slick, but feel very different from a thermal standpoint, metal being an efficient heat conductor.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I did make one with a mahogany grip; the user was is Sweden and was worried about the cold!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my OM-D I actually own both, the RRS when I want to. Shot on a tripod which I find I hardly ever do and the Olympus grip, yeah it's a hasel to change batteries yet I really like the fit of it in my hands.

Jim's grips is also excellent,I have one on my sigma dp2m
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

rangerdave

I really like the look of John's and the RRS grips, but shipping one over to the UK seemed like false economy, and the Gariz (which I own) just doesn't have enough to grab hold of for my liking, even though it is nice.

I recently finished building my own grip for the E-M5, total cost 13.14 for materials and a little time and patience!

Was a fun project and really helps with the handling, feels so much more secure in the hand now, especially with the bigger lenses obviously.

You can read how and why on my blog;

OMD E-M5 DIY Grip | Top Travel Gear

Post Thanks / Like

I am very happy with John Milich's grip. I have very big hands and long fingers, and the grip really makes the camera comfortable to handle.

One piece of advice: Keep the little Allen wrenches that John sends you in your camera bag. Especially if you travel by air. I was on a trip recently, and the grip loosened, I think because of vibrations on the airplane. Because the screw that holds the grip in place has a hexagonal head, you can't just tighten it with a dime. And a loose grip is worse than no grip at all. Wobble, wobble. Where are those wrenches? Oh, bleep, I left them on the table when I was packing my camera bag.

Fortunately, I was able to take the loose grip off the camera using the pointed end of a nail file. I shot without the grip one night. The next day, a hotel clerk kindly loaned me a set of Allen wrenches, and after a bit of tightening, all was well again.

Nothing wrong with John's grip, just remember to have the proper tool around when away from home base.

--Peter