Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Took the plunge

  1. #1
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Took the plunge

    You people are a bad influence! I just got home with a red G1 (my wife likes the red one, and truthfully so do I), and now I'm waiting, impatiently, for the battery to charge up. Sure seems to take a long time.

    So while I'm waiting, I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of where to download an English manual. I'm struggling with the Japanese one now, but I'd like to have the English manual too. Thanks.

    We're supposed to have a nice day tomorrow in Tokyo, so hopefully I'll have some pics to post before long.

    Bill

  2. #2
    Oliver
    Guest

    Re: Took the plunge

    Seems like Panasonic doesn't have the English manuals for cameras online (coming soon). DPReview has a nice summary of the various settings and I do notice a language setting in there if you're looking for one.

    I'm fast caving in too (it was those scans of the Nippon Camera put me over) so I'll see if I have better luck getting an English copy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Seems like Panasonic doesn't have the English manuals for cameras online (coming soon). DPReview has a nice summary of the various settings and I do notice a language setting in there if you're looking for one.

    I'm fast caving in too (it was those scans of the Nippon Camera put me over) so I'll see if I have better luck getting an English copy.
    The language setting is only for cameras sold outside of Japan. If you buy one in Japan, it's locked in Japanese and there is no menu item for changing the language. I guess this is a good reason to be working on my Japanese.

    Bill

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Took the plunge

    If it isn't up on line later in the week when I get back into town where my tech gear is, I can scan key parts of it and send you PDF's. In the mean time I have the manual with me if there are any bits you are completely unsure of.

  5. #5
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    The language setting is only for cameras sold outside of Japan. If you buy one in Japan, it's locked in Japanese and there is no menu item for changing the language. I guess this is a good reason to be working on my Japanese.

    Bill
    Bill curious if you can get the English version firmware and reload it.

    I would get a e-mail out to tech support and see if they can help with that for you
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bill curious if you can get the English version firmware and reload it.

    I would get a e-mail out to tech support and see if they can help with that for you
    Panasonic usually wont do that (I've read other threads on this). The Japanese domestic product (which his is) is priced lower than an export version which would include English.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Brian Mosley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: Took the plunge

    Congratulations Bill!

    you're gonna love it

    Panasonic G1 + 14-45mm kit lens, testing macro performance
    1/60s f/8.0 at 45.0mm iso160


    Kind Regards

    Brian

  8. #8
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Congratulations Bill!

    you're gonna love it

    Kind Regards

    Brian
    Thanks Brian. I've only had it a few hours so far, but I think it's gonna be a lot of fun to work with. I really like your macro shots. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Bill

  9. #9
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Panasonic usually wont do that (I've read other threads on this). The Japanese domestic product (which his is) is priced lower than an export version which would include English.
    I did ask about that before in relation to the LX3, and was told that it's not possible. I have no idea what Panasonic's reasoning is on this. Fortunately I can read enough Japanese to be able to work with the camera and struggle slowly through the manual, but it would be a lot easier and faster if I at least had an English manual.

    Bill

  10. #10
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If it isn't up on line later in the week when I get back into town where my tech gear is, I can scan key parts of it and send you PDF's. In the mean time I have the manual with me if there are any bits you are completely unsure of.
    That's very kind of you to offer, but I wouldn't want to put you to that much trouble. I can read enough Japanese to scrape by for now (and my wife is Japanese so I can get her help if I need it), and I assume that the manual will eventually be available for download. In the meantime, if I do have any questions, I'll be sure to post them here. Thanks for offering to help. I hope you enjoy the camera, and good luck with the move.

    Bill

  11. #11
    Oxide Blu
    Guest

    Re: Took the plunge

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    The language setting is only for cameras sold outside of Japan. If you buy one in Japan, it's locked in Japanese and there is no menu item for changing the language. I guess this is a good reason to be working on my Japanese.

    Bill

    It doesn't make sense to lock a camera on any language. English is so universal now in Japan, especially in technical areas. For the cameras that I have bought in Japan, I ask to have the language set to English before I leave the store. There is enough charge in the battery to turn the camera on, set the language, maybe take a couple of pix.

    Otherwise, I have found it much, much easier to teach the whole town English than it is for me to learn Nihon-go.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •