The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Took the plunge

fordfanjpn

You people are a bad influence! I just got home with a red G1 (my wife likes the red one, and truthfully so do I), and now I'm waiting, impatiently, for the battery to charge up. Sure seems to take a long time. :(

So while I'm waiting, I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea of where to download an English manual. I'm struggling with the Japanese one now, but I'd like to have the English manual too. Thanks.

We're supposed to have a nice day tomorrow in Tokyo, so hopefully I'll have some pics to post before long.

Bill

O

Oliver

Seems like Panasonic doesn't have the English manuals for cameras online (coming soon). DPReview has a nice summary of the various settings and I do notice a language setting in there if you're looking for one.

I'm fast caving in too (it was those scans of the Nippon Camera put me over) so I'll see if I have better luck getting an English copy.

fordfanjpn

Seems like Panasonic doesn't have the English manuals for cameras online (coming soon). DPReview has a nice summary of the various settings and I do notice a language setting in there if you're looking for one.

I'm fast caving in too (it was those scans of the Nippon Camera put me over) so I'll see if I have better luck getting an English copy.
The language setting is only for cameras sold outside of Japan. If you buy one in Japan, it's locked in Japanese and there is no menu item for changing the language. I guess this is a good reason to be working on my Japanese. :rolleyes:

Bill

Terry

If it isn't up on line later in the week when I get back into town where my tech gear is, I can scan key parts of it and send you PDF's. In the mean time I have the manual with me if there are any bits you are completely unsure of.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The language setting is only for cameras sold outside of Japan. If you buy one in Japan, it's locked in Japanese and there is no menu item for changing the language. I guess this is a good reason to be working on my Japanese. :rolleyes:

Bill
Bill curious if you can get the English version firmware and reload it.

I would get a e-mail out to tech support and see if they can help with that for you

Terry

Bill curious if you can get the English version firmware and reload it.

I would get a e-mail out to tech support and see if they can help with that for you
Panasonic usually wont do that (I've read other threads on this). The Japanese domestic product (which his is) is priced lower than an export version which would include English.

Brian Mosley

Congratulations Bill!

you're gonna love it :)

Panasonic G1 + 14-45mm kit lens, testing macro performance
1/60s f/8.0 at 45.0mm iso160

Kind Regards

Brian

fordfanjpn

Panasonic usually wont do that (I've read other threads on this). The Japanese domestic product (which his is) is priced lower than an export version which would include English.
I did ask about that before in relation to the LX3, and was told that it's not possible. I have no idea what Panasonic's reasoning is on this. Fortunately I can read enough Japanese to be able to work with the camera and struggle slowly through the manual, but it would be a lot easier and faster if I at least had an English manual.

Bill

fordfanjpn

If it isn't up on line later in the week when I get back into town where my tech gear is, I can scan key parts of it and send you PDF's. In the mean time I have the manual with me if there are any bits you are completely unsure of.
That's very kind of you to offer, but I wouldn't want to put you to that much trouble. I can read enough Japanese to scrape by for now (and my wife is Japanese so I can get her help if I need it), and I assume that the manual will eventually be available for download. In the meantime, if I do have any questions, I'll be sure to post them here. Thanks for offering to help. I hope you enjoy the camera, and good luck with the move.

Bill

O

Oxide Blu

Bill

It doesn't make sense to lock a camera on any language. English is so universal now in Japan, especially in technical areas. For the cameras that I have bought in Japan, I ask to have the language set to English before I leave the store. There is enough charge in the battery to turn the camera on, set the language, maybe take a couple of pix.

Otherwise, I have found it much, much easier to teach the whole town English than it is for me to learn Nihon-go. :D