The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF3 startup time?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
It might be time to upgrade my trusty pocket camera (Ricoh GX100) and the GF3 plus pancake 20 looks appealing. My main peeve with the GX100 is that it's a little slow to power on. How is the GF3 in startup time?

The OM-D looks very cool though, but not quite pocket size...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Jan, I have the Panny GX1 with the same lenses I use on the OM-D:

12/2, 20/1.7, 45/1.8

Magic. The Gx1 with the 20 is pocketable, and quite a bit smaller than the OM-D.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Ended up getting the GX1 after all, with the 20/1.7 and Oly 45/1.8...

I haven't really followed m43 and have no experience with them, but an interchangeable-lens camera just seemed like a better choice.

But man, everything is adaptable to it! And there's a nice assortment of bodies to choose from, it's like a modern M42...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
And may I suggest adding the RRS modular L-bracket to the GX1 body? I am waiting for mine, but it looks very much as though it will make the body just that tiny deeper, so the little finger can grip too; see HERE.

And don't forget the amazing Oly 12/2; this is the final part of a truly flexible three-lens kit that weighs almost nothing and can fit in a tiny tiny bag.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Exactly what I was looking for! That Panny 20/1.7 is a really nice lens. And the GX1 really starts instantly. AND the B&W mode is very competent (with raw of course) to boot. Excellent!

What does that iA button on top do? Maybe I should open the manual... :)