Thread: Fun with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f1.8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f1.8

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Berkeley, California and Gold Coast, Queensland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's persimmon time in Mendocino County! Latin name: Diospyros, "Divine fruit." Japanese call it "kaki"; in Chinese they are "shizi."This is my first post - - I've been lurking and enjoying for some time and I wanted to share the Autumn colors from Northern California.
    Attachment 65979

Attachment 65980

Attachment 65981

Attachment 65982

(OM-D E-M5 with Zuiko 75/1.8)
    Rev. Heng Sure
    Berkeley Buddhist Monastery
    paramita.typepad.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Heng, I'm sure you'll like it here ...
    This Persimmon is looking both divine and delicious.
    Really some fine images you show us here with this excellent lens/camera combo, lovely.

All the very best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Bart, for the kind welcome. I'm a Buddhist monk; Heng Sure (both words) is my religious name, meaning "Constantly Real," which might potentially manifest into photographic virtues . If you would, please, I aspire to post my photos at a larger resolution and I'm not sure which is the best online platform from which to link to this Forum. I have a Flickr account, and a blog. Can I link from there? Would you describe the best way to post or link higher res images to GetDPI? I've been reading the help files here and clicking around with the control panel above and still wound up with down-sized photos. Many thanks! - Rev. Heng Sure
    Rev. Heng Sure
    paramita.typepad.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monk View Post
    Thank you, Bart, for the kind welcome. I'm a Buddhist monk; Heng Sure (both words) is my religious name, meaning "Constantly Real," which might potentially manifest into photographic virtues . If you would, please, I aspire to post my photos at a larger resolution and I'm not sure which is the best online platform from which to link to this Forum. I have a Flickr account, and a blog. Can I link from there? Would you describe the best way to post or link higher res images to GetDPI? I've been reading the help files here and clicking around with the control panel above and still wound up with down-sized photos. Many thanks! - Rev. Heng Sure
    Hi there Heng Sure,

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the Flickr procedure, but would like to know as well how this works.
    Therefore I've put up a question in the 'Sunset Bar' section: How To ...

Now let's wait and see who takes up the glove and help us out on this.

My apologies for misinterpreting your name.
    All the very best.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is also possible to post in the gallery of this forum. Works fine for me

Post Thanks / Like

Took this last Friday while shooting a Doctor Who music video.

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought a new lens today, the 75mm f/1.8, then straight on to one of the two annual car exhibitions in this city. Toyotas are a bit boring, aren't they, so I found this other subject

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Bought a new lens today, the 75mm f/1.8, then straight on to one of the two annual car exhibitions in this city. Toyotas are a bit boring, aren't they, so I found this other subject
    Congratulations Jørgen with these two beauties.
    Though, I know who I'd prefer ...

All the best and happy shooting !
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Bart. Yes, I prefer the lens as well. High initial cost, but rather moderate after that
    Here's another:

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Congratulations Jørgen with these two beauties.
    Though, I know who I'd prefer ...
    Are you serious?

Look at those lines, that shape, the fit and finish and just imagine if the performance does justice to that chassis

Sorry, just couldn't resist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's one from the camera shop, the cashier who takes all my money

GH2 with Olympus 75mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a dumb question but...

Will all features of the lenses of Olympus m4/3 work on the Panasonic GH3. I know the m4/3 mount will work physically, but will it be compatible electronically (auto-focus, specs, etc.)??

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ThePhotoSoup (?),

and welcome to the forum. No, it's not a dumb question. If you are interested in micro 4/3 gear you have some reading to do and there is plenty of material available. In general all micro 4/3 lenses, be it Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma or the dumb Voigtländer ones, work the same on all bodies.

There are a few exceptions though (a Panasonic 3D lens, some OIS restrictions regarding lenses with no OIS button paired with older bodies, perhaps something more I don't recall at the moment) so checking everything up is a good idea.

The Zuiko 75/1.8 works fine. I don't have a GH3 but I just tried the lens with my old original G1 and everything, including the feature where moving the focusing ring quickly results in a longer "jump" than moving the ring the same amount but more slowly.

If you buy the 75mm for shooting video using a Panasonic camera you should check and perhaps update the lens firmware to v 1.1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    Hi ThePhotoSoup (?),

and welcome to the forum. No, it's not a dumb question. If you are interested in micro 4/3 gear you have some reading to do and there is plenty of material available. In general all micro 4/3 lenses, be it Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma or the dumb Voigtländer ones, work the same on all bodies.

There are a few exceptions though (a Panasonic 3D lens, some OIS restrictions regarding lenses with no OIS button paired with older bodies, perhaps something more I don't recall at the moment) so checking everything up is a good idea.

The Zuiko 75/1.8 works fine. I don't have a GH3 but I just tried the lens with my old original G1 and everything, including the feature where moving the focusing ring quickly results in a longer "jump" than moving the ring the same amount but more slowly.

If you buy the 75mm for shooting video using a Panasonic camera you should check and perhaps update the lens firmware to v 1.1.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I definitely have some learning to do. I've been doing quite a bit of that lately. I just picked up that GH3 and the 12-35 f2.8 which is phenom, but I'm thinking I want the 75mm 1.8 for portraits/bokeh rather than the 35-100 f2.8 from Panasonic and for cheaper money. I knew it would fit, but was wondering if it spoke the same language...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Jonas said.

Let me also add that I use it on Panasonic bodies only (GH1 and GH2). Focus is fast and spot on. It's a great lens in every way, sharp from wide open with a beautiful rendering and a nice bokeh

Post Thanks / Like

What Jonas said.

Let me also add that I use it on Panasonic bodies only (GH1 and GH2). Focus is fast and spot on. It's a great lens in every way, sharp from wide open with a beautiful rendering and a nice bokeh
    Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Do you find the lack of image stabilization to be an issue at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhotoSoup View Post
    Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Do you find the lack of image stabilization to be an issue at all?
    I'm afraid I'm not the right person to ask. I've taken photos for more than 40 years without IS, most of those years with films that were 50 or 100 ISO. But since you ask: No, I don't consider it an issue

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Oh... and this lens is very, very sharp, from wide open until at least f/11. Must be the sharpest lens I've owned ever.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics Jorgen!

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots Jorgen - and so is that one Glenn
    The Cashier looks a bit like a disembodied head on a plate . . . what HAVE you done to her!
    I try and stay away from this thread, as I don't have the lens, and the collateral damage could be severe!
    Jorgen - you really are going to have to get yourself at least one OMD body - the IS, ergonomics, and principally the Sony sensor all make it rather a no-brainer. 8 months in, and I still think it's a fantastic camera (and that says something doesn't it!).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, everybody.

Jono, that lens is absolutely stellar. You should really, really have it. Yes, I know, I should buy the OM-D, but it's on hold at the moment. I'll probably buy the E-PL5 first. Same sensor, but more useable as a "pocket cam". It will be my walk-around camera with the 17mm f/1.8. The GH3 is on hold as well. I have the GH2 now, and for my use at the moment, that's enough for my video needs. Travel combo will be GH2 + E-PL5 + 7-14/4.0 + 17/1.8 + 45/1.8 + 75/1.8.

Anybody want a low-mileage D2Xs?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree the lens is stellar. It just takes a different 'eye' to get the best out of it

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, everybody.

Jono, that lens is absolutely stellar. You should really, really have it. Yes,
    Yeah Yeah - I do know. My trouble though is that if I want a fast prime, then I tend to grab the Leica anyway - experience tells me that I love this kind of lens, but I don't use it that often, and very rarely wide open . . . it might be different if it focused a little closer. My gut reaction is that I'd get more use out of the 35-100 f2.8 . . . . and how much worse will the image quality be?

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I had the chance yesterday at Samy's Camera to throw that 75mm on my GH3. I have to say, I didn't realize how much the image stabilization does for me on my 12-35 f2.8. I know that the shaky(ness) is much more pronounce with a longer focal length, but I shot 6 photos in the store and all were blured. My shutter speed was too slow obviously but I guess my quesiton/point is, to use this lens with no image stabilization one would need: in low light, a tripod or high ISO and faster shutter speed; or just great light and fast shutter speeds.

Other than that, the bokeh was awesome! I want one. That one I tried out was already spoken for and he wouldn't sell it to me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was in WEX today (buying ink) . . . and they had both the 75 and the 35-100 panasonic. . . after much anguish I came away with the 35-100, so far I'm not disappointed, it's a lovely lens. The 75 will have to wait a little while (in the meantime I'll have to put up with the Leica 75 f2 - it works
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, I was in WEX today (buying ink) . . . and they had both the 75 and the 35-100 panasonic. . . after much anguish I came away with the 35-100, so far I'm not disappointed, it's a lovely lens. The 75 will have to wait a little while (in the meantime I'll have to put up with the Leica 75 f2 - it works
    all the best
    I'm most likely going to trade in my 12-35 for either the 75mm or 35-100mm. I've been researching that 35-100 and been really liking what I've been seeing. The 'bokeh' seems to be a lot more pronounced because of the longer focal length even though it's the same f/2.8. I just can't stop pondering on these pics from the 75mm though. It's just the lack of stabilization that scares me. The images from it are amazing though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm most likely going to trade in my 12-35 for either the 75mm or 35-100mm. I've been researching that 35-100 and been really liking what I've been seeing. The 'bokeh' seems to be a lot more pronounced because of the longer focal length even though it's the same f/2.8. I just can't stop pondering on these pics from the 75mm though. It's just the lack of stabilization that scares me. The images from it are amazing though.
    The answer to the stabilisation problem is easy . . . get an OMD!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought it might be fun to compare the same lens with the OMD and the EPL5. The photos show cherry tomatoes in the Monastery garden just before sunrise. First the EPL5 with the 75mm. Both cameras feature the same sensor, so they say. Any difference to your eyes?

Next the OMD with the same lens. Same post-processing for both images.

Best wishes!
    Last edited by monk; 11th December 2012 at 11:06.
    Rev. Heng Sure
    paramita.typepad.com

box4studio

[QUOTE=monk;473823]Thought it might be fun to compare the same lens with the OMD and the EPL5. The photos show cherry tomatoes in the Monastery garden just before sunrise. First the EPL5 with the 75mm. Both cameras feature the same sensor, so they say. Any difference to your eyes?

Yes, in the EPL5 image the greens are bluer than in the OMD image.
    To my eye, the green in the OMD image looks more accurate than the EPL5 image. Odd, because I'm not seeing color shift to blue in the reds, yellows, or oranges. Did you process the images the same way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought it might be fun to compare the same lens with the OMD and the EPL5. The photos show cherry tomatoes in the Monastery garden just before sunrise. First the EPL5 with the 75mm. Both cameras feature the same sensor, so they say. Any difference to your eyes?

Best wishes!
    Greens are different. Are they shot in RAW or jpeg? Are WB, colour balance and saturation the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi. Shot in RAW (LR4), same white balance, (cloudy) no saturation but slightly different warmth, which you all noticed. As I retrace my steps I realize this was pretty unsystematic, which makes the comparison invalid until I nail down tight ALL the parameters. Maybe take them both out of camera as jpegs, or only save as tiffs into Photoshop?

Being new at this I can appreciate the labors of pixel-peeper presentations.

Blessings,

Rev. Heng Sure
    Rev. Heng Sure
    paramita.typepad.com

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to the stabilisation problem is easy . . . get an OMD!
    That was going to be my plan, but it's very lacking in the video department... I actually just went back to Samy's Camera today and exchanged my [12-35mm] lens for the 35-100mm f2.8 (Samy's Camera is AWESOME). I haven't had a chance to snap anything yet though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Being new at this I can appreciate the labors of pixel-peeper presentations.
    Hi There
    I just give up and let others do it

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Okay guys, I know this thread is for the 75mm f/1.8 but here's why I'm posting these pics... I am having trouble finding good comparisons between the said lens and the 35-100mm f/2.8.

Now, I've just traded in my 12-35mm f/2.8 because I realized I needed a longer focal length. I wanted the 75mm but Samy's only had the 35-100 in stock. So I went for it. I have read from everyone who's touched the 75mm that it might be the best lens ever made. Anyways, I need to know if it can really visibly walk-all-over the 35-100 optically. If so, I need to take this 35-100 back and go finally get that 75mm. The benefits I have with the zoom are OIS, weather sealing, and different focal lengths.

I know primes are supposedly better optically than zooms but I wanted to post this pic and ask the question, how much better than this can the 75mm do? I'm not trying to start anything here, I just seriously want to know. Maybe if anyone has these "bird of paradise" plants around, you can try to snap the same pic with the same framing etc... and compare. One thing I'm really worried about is the lack of OIS I'd have if I went for the 75 thus giving me blurry images while handheld. But then again, I'm very new to all this and most likely don't really know what I'm talking about...

So, this pic is (GH3 & 35-100mm f/2.8) handheld with the OIS on and untouched. Just taken RAW and comverted with SILKYPIX to jpeg (444). It's at f/2.8, ISO200, 1/60, 100mm. I know, I should have done it at 75mm... Oh well. I know the OMD has OIS internally but maybe you could try to snap some pics without it at about the same 1/60 and f/2.8 as well as f/1.8... anyways, you get my drift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a comparison between two girls, both taken with the 75mm, one in focus and one blurred. The fact that they both happened to be within the frame of the same photograph and that there is an Apple Green Mercedes Benz in the photo as well (also ever so slightly out of focus), must be due to the unique properties of this wonderful lens

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.8

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 13th December 2012 at 11:28.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay guys, I know this thread is for the 75mm f/1.8 but here's why I'm posting these pics... I am having trouble finding good comparisons between the said lens and the 35-100mm f/2.8.

Now, I've just traded in my 12-35mm f/2.8 because I realized I needed a longer focal length. I wanted the 75mm but Samy's only had the 35-100 in stock. So I went for it. I have read from everyone who's touched the 75mm that it might be the best lens ever made. Anyways, I need to know if it can really visibly walk-all-over the 35-100 optically. If so, I need to take this 35-100 back and go finally get that 75mm. The benefits I have with the zoom are OIS, weather sealing, and different focal lengths.

I know primes are supposedly better optically than zooms but I wanted to post this pic and ask the question, how much better than this can the 75mm do? I'm not trying to start anything here, I just seriously want to know. Maybe if anyone has these "bird of paradise" plants around, you can try to snap the same pic with the same framing etc... and compare. One thing I'm really worried about is the lack of OIS I'd have if I went for the 75 thus giving me blurry images while handheld. But then again, I'm very new to all this and most likely don't really know what I'm talking about...

So, this pic is (GH3 & 35-100mm f/2.8) handheld with the OIS on and untouched. Just taken RAW and comverted with SILKYPIX to jpeg (444). It's at f/2.8, ISO200, 1/60, 100mm. I know, I should have done it at 75mm... Oh well. I know the OMD has OIS internally but maybe you could try to snap some pics without it at about the same 1/60 and f/2.8 as well as f/1.8... anyways, you get my drift.
    Hi There
    I've been suffering a similar quandary - except that using an OMD I have OIS either way.

The 35-100 is very sharp at 75mm - no doubt about it - very sharp, I doubt that in real life there will be a critical difference between the two lenses at, say, f4 - my take on this is that it boils down to 2 things:

1. do you need the reduced dof the 75 f1.8 gives (see apple green merc)
    2. do you need the zoom facilities of the Panasonic.

For me, If I'm shooting primes, then I'd usually rather shoot with my Leica (I can even put my 75 f2 on the OMD for portraits if I want). So, for me it's 2 that's the decider . . . . .

Just nobody suggest that I need both

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    For me, If I'm shooting primes, then I'd usually rather shoot with my Leica (I can even put my 75 f2 on the OMD for portraits if I want). So, for me it's 2 that's the decider . . . . .

Why not Jono, it doesn't usually stop you!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There

LOL.
    The want is usually stronger than the need test.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Why not Jono, it doesn't usually stop you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by retow View Post
    LOL.
    The want is usually stronger than the need test.

I shall report you both to my bank manager

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got mine on the day before Thanksgiving... and plunged strait into a lowlight Thanksgiving Dinner.... OMD at ISO 8000 had me a very happy boy

PB230119 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PB230138 by kevinparis, on Flickr

colour at 3200 was pretty nice too

PB220030 by kevinparis, on Flickr

In a bar too dark to read a menu the lens gave me this... a wee bit of banding.. but the ability to get shots like this is very encouraging

PC070125 by kevinparis, on Flickr

tried some street in Maui

PC020210 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PC020216 by kevinparis, on Flickr

and some more in Fremont Street, Vegas

PC110061 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PC110162 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PC110089 by kevinparis, on Flickr

overall.... think I like the combo of OMD and 75mm

K
    flickr photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/
    website http://facefullofbees.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Kevin - I hope you had a good time.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Kevin - I hope you had a good time.
    all the best
    jono
    thanks... a good time was had... paying the price now with jet lag, a head cold and thermal shock... brrrr

sorry we missed you... till the next time....have a good christmas

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a couple more for the bokeh buffs

PC060096 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PC020009 by kevinparis, on Flickr

PC020006 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K
    flickr photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/
    website http://facefullofbees.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That was going to be my plan, but it's very lacking in the video department... I actually just went back to Samy's Camera today and exchanged my [12-35mm] lens for the 35-100mm f2.8 (Samy's Camera is AWESOME). I haven't had a chance to snap anything yet though.
    Wow, Samy's Camera let's you try out lenses before you buy? These lenses are certainly on the high side for 43 options. I am trying to decide between the 75mm and the 35-100mm by perusing this thread and others.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpmac55 View Post
    Wow, Samy's Camera let's you try out lenses before you buy? These lenses are certainly on the high side for 43 options. I am trying to decide between the 75mm and the 35-100mm by perusing this thread and others.
    Well not exactly. I did buy and fully pay but they have a 15 day return policy. So, as long as the lens is perfect and within the 15 day limit, you should be fine.

I was having (and still am) the hardest time trying to decide that exact thing. I know the 75mm glass is phenom but I also think this 35-100 is also phenom and has some perks like multiple focal lengths, weather sealing, small size, high build quality, in-lens stabilization... I went to Sammy's and tried on the 75mm but since it was very low light, I took multiple shots and all were blurry (GH3). So it made me a little scared being that I'm a new photographer. I just ultimately figured that it would be easier for me to learn with the 35-100. I haven't been able to really use it yet but I have a thread in this forum where I post images from the lens with the GH3.

On the other side, I know that the 75mm costs only $899 compared to the $1499 I paid for the 35-100mm. A difference of $600! That's what I'm struggling with the most. And, I know that it's plenty possible to get fantastic shots with no image stabilization.

long enough...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5 and 1/125s

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was having (and still am) the hardest time trying to decide that exact thing. I know the 75mm glass is phenom but I also think this 35-100 is also phenom and has some perks like multiple focal lengths, weather sealing, small size, high build quality, in-lens stabilization...
    Don't bang your head. Keep the zoom. It's an excellent lens - with my full-size (oversize?) Canon digital cameras, the 70-200mm zoom is my most used lens. I have four of them. (Yeah, I have a problem...)

Really, though, I'm working on the same question that you are right now - get the 75 or the 35-100? This would be for personal work and travel, and both my wife and I would be using it. We have the 12-35/2.8, which we both like, and the 20/1.7 and the 45/1.8. Also the 45-200, which is pretty decent for the price but f/5.6 at the long end.

So the 75 would make a nice kit with the 45mm for short to medium telephoto, and the f/1.8 aperture would make a substantial difference in a few cases when we need the extra light-gathering abilities and or slightly less DOF. I like to work with two cameras, and the 12-35 and 75 would be a decent combo for general photo-j work and travel.

But. But. We are using Panasonic cameras and are not likely to buy an Olympus with IBIS any time soon. And for us, image stabilization is a big help for many of the photo situations we find ourselves shooting. Also, too, having the ability to change focal lengths without digging for another lens is very useful much of the time.

So I expect we'll save the few extra pennies and get the 35-100 at some point. It's a tough choice, but you've already got a great versatile lens - go shoot photos! Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennettk View Post
    Don't bang your head. Keep the zoom. It's an excellent lens - with my full-size (oversize?) Canon digital cameras, the 70-200mm zoom is my most used lens. I have four of them. (Yeah, I have a problem...)

Really, though, I'm working on the same question that you are right now - get the 75 or the 35-100? This would be for personal work and travel, and both my wife and I would be using it. We have the 12-35/2.8, which we both like, and the 20/1.7 and the 45/1.8. Also the 45-200, which is pretty decent for the price but f/5.6 at the long end.

So the 75 would make a nice kit with the 45mm for short to medium telephoto, and the f/1.8 aperture would make a substantial difference in a few cases when we need the extra light-gathering abilities and or slightly less DOF. I like to work with two cameras, and the 12-35 and 75 would be a decent combo for general photo-j work and travel.

But. But. We are using Panasonic cameras and are not likely to buy an Olympus with IBIS any time soon. And for us, image stabilization is a big help for many of the photo situations we find ourselves shooting. Also, too, having the ability to change focal lengths without digging for another lens is very useful much of the time.

So I expect we'll save the few extra pennies and get the 35-100 at some point. It's a tough choice, but you've already got a great versatile lens - go shoot photos! Have fun!
    In your case I would not think a second and go for the 35-100, much more versatile and giving you IS with Pana cameras.