The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm f1.8

JimGoshorn

Congratulations Jørgen with these two beauties.
Though, I know who I'd prefer ... :deadhorse:
Are you serious? :eek:

Look at those lines, that shape, the fit and finish and just imagine if the performance does justice to that chassis :ROTFL:

Sorry, just couldn't resist :D

ThePhotoSoup

This might be a dumb question but...

Will all features of the lenses of Olympus m4/3 work on the Panasonic GH3. I know the m4/3 mount will work physically, but will it be compatible electronically (auto-focus, specs, etc.)??

Jonas

Hi ThePhotoSoup (?),

and welcome to the forum. No, it's not a dumb question. If you are interested in micro 4/3 gear you have some reading to do and there is plenty of material available. In general all micro 4/3 lenses, be it Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma or the dumb Voigtländer ones, work the same on all bodies.

There are a few exceptions though (a Panasonic 3D lens, some OIS restrictions regarding lenses with no OIS button paired with older bodies, perhaps something more I don't recall at the moment) so checking everything up is a good idea.

The Zuiko 75/1.8 works fine. I don't have a GH3 but I just tried the lens with my old original G1 and everything, including the feature where moving the focusing ring quickly results in a longer "jump" than moving the ring the same amount but more slowly.

If you buy the 75mm for shooting video using a Panasonic camera you should check and perhaps update the lens firmware to v 1.1.

ThePhotoSoup

Hi ThePhotoSoup (?),

and welcome to the forum. No, it's not a dumb question. If you are interested in micro 4/3 gear you have some reading to do and there is plenty of material available. In general all micro 4/3 lenses, be it Panasonic, Olympus, Sigma or the dumb Voigtländer ones, work the same on all bodies.

There are a few exceptions though (a Panasonic 3D lens, some OIS restrictions regarding lenses with no OIS button paired with older bodies, perhaps something more I don't recall at the moment) so checking everything up is a good idea.

The Zuiko 75/1.8 works fine. I don't have a GH3 but I just tried the lens with my old original G1 and everything, including the feature where moving the focusing ring quickly results in a longer "jump" than moving the ring the same amount but more slowly.

If you buy the 75mm for shooting video using a Panasonic camera you should check and perhaps update the lens firmware to v 1.1.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I definitely have some learning to do. I've been doing quite a bit of that lately. I just picked up that GH3 and the 12-35 f2.8 which is phenom, but I'm thinking I want the 75mm 1.8 for portraits/bokeh rather than the 35-100 f2.8 from Panasonic and for cheaper money. I knew it would fit, but was wondering if it spoke the same language...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What Jonas said.

Let me also add that I use it on Panasonic bodies only (GH1 and GH2). Focus is fast and spot on. It's a great lens in every way, sharp from wide open with a beautiful rendering and a nice bokeh :thumbs:

ThePhotoSoup

What Jonas said.

Let me also add that I use it on Panasonic bodies only (GH1 and GH2). Focus is fast and spot on. It's a great lens in every way, sharp from wide open with a beautiful rendering and a nice bokeh :thumbs:
Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Do you find the lack of image stabilization to be an issue at all?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one. Do you find the lack of image stabilization to be an issue at all?
I'm afraid I'm not the right person to ask. I've taken photos for more than 40 years without IS, most of those years with films that were 50 or 100 ISO. But since you ask: No, I don't consider it an issue :)

GH2 with Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 @ f/2.5

Oh... and this lens is very, very sharp, from wide open until at least f/11. Must be the sharpest lens I've owned ever.

jonoslack

Great shots Jorgen - and so is that one Glenn
The Cashier looks a bit like a disembodied head on a plate . . . what HAVE you done to her!
I try and stay away from this thread, as I don't have the lens, and the collateral damage could be severe!
Jorgen - you really are going to have to get yourself at least one OMD body - the IS, ergonomics, and principally the Sony sensor all make it rather a no-brainer. 8 months in, and I still think it's a fantastic camera (and that says something doesn't it!).

all the best

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, everybody.

Jono, that lens is absolutely stellar. You should really, really have it. Yes, I know, I should buy the OM-D, but it's on hold at the moment. I'll probably buy the E-PL5 first. Same sensor, but more useable as a "pocket cam". It will be my walk-around camera with the 17mm f/1.8. The GH3 is on hold as well. I have the GH2 now, and for my use at the moment, that's enough for my video needs. Travel combo will be GH2 + E-PL5 + 7-14/4.0 + 17/1.8 + 45/1.8 + 75/1.8.

Anybody want a low-mileage D2Xs?

jonoslack

Thanks, everybody.

Jono, that lens is absolutely stellar. You should really, really have it. Yes,
Yeah Yeah - I do know. My trouble though is that if I want a fast prime, then I tend to grab the Leica anyway - experience tells me that I love this kind of lens, but I don't use it that often, and very rarely wide open . . . it might be different if it focused a little closer. My gut reaction is that I'd get more use out of the 35-100 f2.8 . . . . and how much worse will the image quality be?

all the best

ThePhotoSoup

I had the chance yesterday at Samy's Camera to throw that 75mm on my GH3. I have to say, I didn't realize how much the image stabilization does for me on my 12-35 f2.8. I know that the shaky(ness) is much more pronounce with a longer focal length, but I shot 6 photos in the store and all were blured. My shutter speed was too slow obviously but I guess my quesiton/point is, to use this lens with no image stabilization one would need: in low light, a tripod or high ISO and faster shutter speed; or just great light and fast shutter speeds.

Other than that, the bokeh was awesome! I want one. That one I tried out was already spoken for and he wouldn't sell it to me!

jonoslack

Well, I was in WEX today (buying ink) . . . and they had both the 75 and the 35-100 panasonic. . . after much anguish I came away with the 35-100, so far I'm not disappointed, it's a lovely lens. The 75 will have to wait a little while (in the meantime I'll have to put up with the Leica 75 f2 - it works :)
all the best

ThePhotoSoup

Well, I was in WEX today (buying ink) . . . and they had both the 75 and the 35-100 panasonic. . . after much anguish I came away with the 35-100, so far I'm not disappointed, it's a lovely lens. The 75 will have to wait a little while (in the meantime I'll have to put up with the Leica 75 f2 - it works :)
all the best
I'm most likely going to trade in my 12-35 for either the 75mm or 35-100mm. I've been researching that 35-100 and been really liking what I've been seeing. The 'bokeh' seems to be a lot more pronounced because of the longer focal length even though it's the same f/2.8. I just can't stop pondering on these pics from the 75mm though. It's just the lack of stabilization that scares me. The images from it are amazing though.

jonoslack

I'm most likely going to trade in my 12-35 for either the 75mm or 35-100mm. I've been researching that 35-100 and been really liking what I've been seeing. The 'bokeh' seems to be a lot more pronounced because of the longer focal length even though it's the same f/2.8. I just can't stop pondering on these pics from the 75mm though. It's just the lack of stabilization that scares me. The images from it are amazing though.
The answer to the stabilisation problem is easy . . . get an OMD!

monk

Thought it might be fun to compare the same lens with the OMD and the EPL5. The photos show cherry tomatoes in the Monastery garden just before sunrise. First the EPL5 with the 75mm. Both cameras feature the same sensor, so they say. Any difference to your eyes?

Next the OMD with the same lens. Same post-processing for both images.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
B

box4studio

Thought it might be fun to compare the same lens with the OMD and the EPL5. The photos show cherry tomatoes in the Monastery garden just before sunrise. First the EPL5 with the 75mm. Both cameras feature the same sensor, so they say. Any difference to your eyes?

Yes, in the EPL5 image the greens are bluer than in the OMD image.
To my eye, the green in the OMD image looks more accurate than the EPL5 image. Odd, because I'm not seeing color shift to blue in the reds, yellows, or oranges. Did you process the images the same way?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Best wishes!
Greens are different. Are they shot in RAW or jpeg? Are WB, colour balance and saturation the same?