The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-30

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It is supposed to be 20% lighter and is a little shorter than the E3. It has a new sensor, max f/8000 and flash sync at f/250. A handgrip is available. I haven't seen anything about weather-proofing.
I'm very happy with the Oly E3, but if I didn't have it, I would look into this one further.
One of the best things about my Oly kit is that I can put the E3, 12-60, 50-200, 50 macro and an extender in a Domke F2 and I'm covered from effective 24mm-560mm....and it is not a back-breaker. The Oly lenses that I have are stellar.

jonoslack

It is supposed to be 20% lighter and is a little shorter than the E3. It has a new sensor, max f/8000 and flash sync at f/250. A handgrip is available. I haven't seen anything about weather-proofing.
I'm very happy with the Oly E3, but if I didn't have it, I would look into this one further.
One of the best things about my Oly kit is that I can put the E3, 12-60, 50-200, 50 macro and an extender in a Domke F2 and I'm covered from effective 24mm-560mm....and it is not a back-breaker. The Oly lenses that I have are stellar.
Hi Cindy
I'm so glad you're pleased with yours . . . it's a great outfit isn't it. I often use a tiny Small Hadley bag, and sling the camera over my shoulder with the 12-60 (just using the bag for the other lenses)

I also thought the E3 looked attractive, but I think I'd settle for the extra weight for the robustness.
It'll be interesting to see what the new 12mp sensor is like.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Truth be told I shot a wedding in San Diego last week and shot all the setup and ceremony itself with my Phase back than shot everything else with the Oly 520 and they look pretty darn good. I like the Oly lenses and this E30 maybe my way up a little. i would rather have the E3 right now but this looks promising over my 520. I still want the 12-60 though and i need to sell a couple Oly lenses still to do that

cjlacz

The E-30 is out today, at least in Japan. I stopped by a few camera stores today trying to figure out my next steps and Olympus was front and center in the all the stores. I don't have an E3 so I can't say too much about the differences.

It's a bit smaller and noticeably lighter then the E-3. It's a little shorter which I like. The view finder is slightly smaller then the E-3, but still a huge improvement from the E-xxx series. Most of the changes you've read on the previews. It really does look like an E-3 without the weather sealing and a few new features. I imagine the successor to the E-5 is going to be a bigger step up, although I'd miss a cheap sealed body.

They had some photographers from Oly there to talk about them. According to them the improved sensor has an extra stop in the highlights and gives it a little better DR then the D300. ISO sensitivity is supposed to be a stop better then the E-3, so if you weren't happy with ISO 800 before, you should be now. I do like the contrast focusing in live view. Very nice. I hope they make some of their older lenses compatible, even if they are a bit slow.

Some small stuff. I'm not sure how big of a deal they are. You are supposed to be able to tweak the focusing on a per lens basis (to fix front and back focusing issues) and the E-30 remembers up to 20 lenses.

The level gauge in live view is pretty cool. The multiple exposure was kind of cool too, although you could do the same thing in photoshop and with more control. The auto gradation is supposed to help deal with highlights and shadows, although I couldn't really play with it in the bright store.

I'm hoping the information about the sensor is true. I'm sure some reviews will be popping up soon on the Japanese sites.