The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G5 any thoughts?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My thought is that the G5 is probably one of the greatest bargains in the camera market today. I'm considering buying it instead of (or in addition to) the OM-D for three reasons:

- Lower price
- Better, more advanced video
- More flexible LCD

The last point is of major importance to me, since I use the LCD when I take photos with the 7-14mm lens at places that are difficult to access (like inside racing cars during pit stops). I also expect the GH3 to become considerably more expensive and beyond my budget at the moment... but who knows :rolleyes:

raist3d

The G5 looks like a really good deal from the point of view of small well built camera. If I was buying into that, I would still wait for the GH3 and see what Panasonic's proposition is at that level. I expect a new decent sensor (the G5 uses apparently a new decent sensor too).

- Raist

PS: Saying this *IF* I was considering buying a new camera, which right now I am not. If I was going to try a new camera (and then keep if and only if did the kind of shots I want to do with it at night), it would be the Sigma DP2M, not sure if I will.

biglouis

Nice camera but I'm waiting for the GH-3 before making any m43rds purchase decisions.

LouisB

Has there been an official announcement of a GH3 by Panasonic? I have read various rumors that indicate Photokina (Sept) would be the most likely time frame.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Well, for me, the Gx1 with the RRS modular L-bracket (and detaching the portrait part) is the best µ4/3rds camera out there, presently, when combined with the EVF2.

M

michaelnel

Well, for me, the Gx1 with the RRS modular L-bracket (and detaching the portrait part) is the best µ4/3rds camera out there, presently, when combined with the EVF2.
I don't know if it is the best, but I sure like mine. I too have the RRS L-bracket on mine (but I do leave the portrait part on), and I have the EVF2. I bought an Olympus OM-D and only kept it a few days before sending it back for refund. I could tell we weren't going to get along.

The GX1 on the other hand felt like an old friend from day one.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wonder if there will still be something like a GHxyz line of cameras coming?

Maybe they concentrate more on these cameras like G3, G5, GX1 etc.

Although a high end pro model with built in EVF is still missing ....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I wonder if there will still be something like a GHxyz line of cameras coming?

Maybe they concentrate more on these cameras like G3, G5, GX1 etc.

Although a high end pro model with built in EVF is still missing ....
The rumour is that the GH3 will be a higher end camera with weather sealing and more suited for professional use, presumably also with a price tag to match.

raist3d

The rumour is that the GH3 will be a higher end camera with weather sealing and more suited for professional use, presumably also with a price tag to match.
The GH3 will certainly be pricey (read USD $1,000 and/or higher). That's the history of that line. I bet the video will be amazing.

- Ricardo

M

michaelnel

Video capability ranks behind "Scene" modes in what I consider important in a camera. If I want to shoot video, I'll buy a video camera.

I am pretty likely to buy a G5 to be my second body along with the GX1 when they come out. I just greatly prefer the way Panasonic does things as opposed to the way Olympus does.

raist3d

Video capability ranks behind "Scene" modes in what I consider important in a camera. If I want to shoot video, I'll buy a video camera.
Overall me too (thought I wouldn't get a video camera at this point). I was just saying :)

I am pretty likely to buy a G5 to be my second body along with the GX1 when they come out. I just greatly prefer the way Panasonic does things as opposed to the way Olympus does.
I like the way Olympus used to do things (talking about menus/controls) and somehow they got lost when hey made the E-3. I liked the E-30 a bit though.

I do like their JPEG engine for color over Panasonic's though. But yeah, this is all besides the point. I like Panasonic too anyway.

- Ricardo

C

curious80

Video capability ranks behind "Scene" modes in what I consider important in a camera.
I do care a bit about video but thankfully all mirrorless cameras today have good enough video for my casual needs, so that's not a primary selection criterion for me.

If I want to shoot video, I'll buy a video camera.
Except that to get a video camera with a similar level of video quality as say a GH2, you will have to spend a lot more than the GH2/GH3. I had a $1200 Sony camcorder and its video quality was no match for what I got out of GH1 + 20mm. And I am just talking about "snapshot" family videos on a vanilla un-hacked GH1. Not the professional grade videos made using the crazy high bit rate GH1s.

Diane B

I have a G3 and its the first Panny camera I used much for "snapshot' video (tried a bit with GF1 but found it difficult to use in some conditions without EVF and the aux. EVf was not good). I did a fair amount of videoing with the G3 when in New Orleans last Fall and don't feel I need better for casual use--edited nicely and the oncamera mic surprised me. The G5 should be even better. I haven't tried video with my OMD but think I'll continue to use the G3 when I want to video because the flip LCD is a good aid.

Diane