The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Lightroom lens profiles for OM-D?

greypilgrim

A resounding silence :). I was wondering the same myself.

Also, with Lightroom 4, it is not clear to me yet how they changed the support for lens/camera profiles...

Doug

Godfrey

The lens correction metadata is a built-in part of*the Micro-FourThirds system. The lenses are designed with specific correction components by Panasonic and Olympus.

The Micro-FourThirds lenses carry the lens correction profiles in the lens itself. It's injected into the raw files at capture time by the camera body as a special kind of metadata, which the Adobe Camera Raw plugin and the Lightrooom raw processor component interpret and apply automatically.

The system is not perfect, there are differences between Olympus and Panasonic as to what corrections they supply and handle ...

- Panasonic lenses contain both lateral CA and geometric correction parameters.
- Olympus lenses contain just geometric correction parameters.
- Panasonic bodies read and inject both corrections into raw files.
- Olympus bodies inject only the geometric corrections.​

..but this is why you don't see Adobe providing lens correction files for Micro-FourThirds.

There was a rumor going around that Olympus would soon be handling lateral CA corrections as well, but I don't know whether that's happened.

soboyle

I downloaded the Adobe lens profile downloader, and they do have a profile for the panny 20 1.7 listed. Haven't tried it yet, so can't comment on the quality of the profile. These are user created profiles using the Lens Profile Creator software.
I may have a go at the software for the 14-45 Panny.

soboyle

Just read Godfrey's post. That's interesting, I didn't realize the profiles were contained in metadata. That saves me several hours of futzing - thank you!

greypilgrim

The lens correction metadata is a built-in part of*the Micro-FourThirds system. The lenses are designed with specific correction components by Panasonic and Olympus.

The Micro-FourThirds lenses carry the lens correction profiles in the lens itself. It's injected into the raw files at capture time by the camera body as a special kind of metadata, which the Adobe Camera Raw plugin and the Lightrooom raw processor component interpret and apply automatically.

The system is not perfect, there are differences between Olympus and Panasonic as to what corrections they supply and handle ...

..but this is why you don't see Adobe providing lens correction files for Micro-FourThirds.

There was a rumor going around that Olympus would soon be handling lateral CA corrections as well, but I don't know whether that's happened.
I know there are Panny profiles built into the metadata. I was under the impression that this is not true for the Oly cameras. Either way, my understanding is that there are not cross manufacturer profiles built into the metadata. IE not for the Panny 20mm with an Oly camera.

Doug

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I was under the impression that this is not true for the Oly cameras.

Oly only supports the lens distortion correction. CA is now in LR4.1 corrected without any profile and vignetting is not that hard to do manually.

Godfrey

I know there are Panny profiles built into the metadata. I was under the impression that this is not true for the Oly cameras. Either way, my understanding is that there are not cross manufacturer profiles built into the metadata. IE not for the Panny 20mm with an Oly camera.
The corrections are standard to all Micro-FourThirds system cameras and lenses, according to the scheme I wrote up above. I researched and experimented with this extensively in the three plus years I worked with the system.

The Panasonic 20mm lens geometric corrections are fully supported with Olympus bodies. I know this from testing that exact combination.

J

jamesmck

The Panasonic 20mm lens geometric corrections are fully supported with Olympus bodies. I know this from testing that exact combination.
Godfrey - Do you know if the same is true for the Panasonic 14/2.5?

Godfrey

Godfrey - Do you know if the same is true for the Panasonic 14/2.5?
It's true for all Micro-FourThirds lenses, to the best of my experience.

I haven't worked with Micro-FourThirds since about the end of 2010, though ... the 14mm was released shortly after I let go of all my mFT equipment and I haven't had a chance to borrow one and use it.

Did have another chance to experiment with the OM-D/E-M5 (boy, I wish Olympus would stick to one naming scheme for their equipment!) this weekend. It produces beautiful results with my old Konica 40mm f/1.8 lens. :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Does Aperture respect this metadata, Godfrey?

I could not find one reason to stick with LR over Aperture, but this could be it, if it's true; I am 100% µ4/3rds now.

Skridlovian

This is very slightly off-topic but users of the Samyang 7.5 mm FE lens (excellent BTW!) can acquire a set of projection profiles, including rectilinear (for de-fishing) on the DPR m43 forum. A quick search should locate them. The Gotcha is that when installed they appear under a "Panasonic" menu item in the /lens correction/profile palette - presumably because the person who wrote them had the lens on a Panasonic body. They work well, although personally I find the de-fished look of the rectilinear profile very jarring.

Godfrey

Does Aperture respect this metadata, Godfrey?

I could not find one reason to stick with LR over Aperture, but this could be it, if it's true; I am 100% µ4/3rds now.
It does: dropbox.com - Lightroom-raw_lens_correction support example

Personally, I dislike Aperture's UI and workflow, much prefer working in Lightroom. I also find Lightroom 4's raw converter is substantially better on performance. But others feel differently.

thanks the gods for choice.

pjphoto59

Godfrey,

I do not doubt that this is the case for later Olympus cameras but not for my EP-1, after converting RAW to DNG in LR there are still corrections needed for distortion and CA. With LR4.1 I have a preset for removing distortion and the CA is done automatically.

The Pana 14-42 and 14-42PZ lenses seem to be corrected for CA and distortion on both the EP-1 and the G2.

Using the Oly 17mm on the G2 requires correction for CA and distortion in PP, although I am not sure whether the corrections are as much as when using the EP-1.

Godfrey

Godfrey,

I do not doubt that this is the case for later Olympus cameras but not for my EP-1, after converting RAW to DNG in LR there are still corrections needed for distortion and CA. With LR4.1 I have a preset for removing distortion and the CA is done automatically.

The Pana 14-42 and 14-42PZ lenses seem to be corrected for CA and distortion on both the EP-1 and the G2.

Using the Oly 17mm on the G2 requires correction for CA and distortion in PP, although I am not sure whether the corrections are as much as when using the EP-1.
The situation is as you quoted I said, yes, even for your E-P1. As response:

- Olympus chose not to implement lateral CA removal, at least in the earlier cameras, and didn't embed the parameters in their lenses.

- Later bodies do a better job with the provided corrections, for sure. Later lenses may also have more finely tuned correction paramters. That's what incremental development is all about.

- It is not necessarily the case that the manufacturers' corrections were designed to remove ALL aberrations. Not all lenses project perfectly rectilinearly corrected images, and for many lenses this is not a negative factor in their quality.

From the above, there is still potential for improvements with after-the-fact corrections applied in Lightroom or any other software. Perfection is a goal often sought but rarely achieved.

mronen

Godfrey,

Can you please elaborate just a little on how this 'automatic' lens correction works?

I tried it on three E-M5 files, taken with Sigma 30mm, Olympus M.45mm F1.8 and Olympus M.12-50 F3.4-6.3 lenses, but the behavior doesn't seem right to me. I tried it in LR-4.2 RC and also ACR 7.1.

First of all, should 'Enable Profile correction' be checked?

When it is checked, profile 'Default' or 'Auto' do not detect anything.
If I try to help by selecting the 'Lens Maker' - Sigma or Olympus - it looks only at the profiles installed on the machine. For Sigma it found an Adobe provided (correct) profile, but for the Olympus lenses it didn't find a match, so it selected wrong lenses. It does not seem to use any data supplied by the RAW file.

If you could clarify the process somewhat, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,
Moshe