Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

I keep the 2 part grip on my EM5 at all times as I find it too small otherwise.

My GH3 does not seem any larger than my EM5 + grip. However, I find the GH3 to be a lot more comfortable and with better ergonomics.

I can't agree at all with those that compare the size of a GH3 to that of a FF Nikon.

Yesterday, I shot a gymnastics meet with my GH3 and the 12-35 and the 35-100.

Today, I shot an Olympic athlete visiting a school with my D4, the 24-70 and the 70-200.

Granted, the D4 is a big camera but the lenses are also big and heavy.

In any case, I am loving the GH3 and it has become my go to micro 4/3's camera. And that is despite the alien technology IBIS in the EM5.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    I keep the 2 part grip on my EM5 at all times as I find it too small otherwise.
    Like you, I've spent much time with big Nikons and the standard 24-70 and 70-200 zooms . . . . but unlike you I've learned to love the ungripped EM5. it's just practice.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, maybe it is as tough (how can I possibly know) Olympus have been making professional quality cameras for decades, Panasonic have not, but it's also much (much) bigger . . . Surely the whole point of 43 is the size . . .

Size Comparison

But the real point is the sensor - like the rest of us, with each iteration of the Panasonic sensors - promised to be so much of an improvement, the lightly AA filtered Sony sensor in the OMD is a revelation.

But this all hinges around the definition of 'professional', and it seems that perhaps you mean BIG and I mean TOUGH!

all the best
    Jono,

need to come back to the size differences:

1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 is 10% (11.9 mm) wider and 4% (3.8 mm) taller than Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 is 96% (40.1 mm) thicker than Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    3) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 [550 g] weights 38% (150 grams) more than Olympus OM-D E-M5 [400 g]

I would consider this not a too big difference, still pretty small and lightweight. I actually see the OMD to be a bit to lightweight anyway for comfortable shooting if I do serious work. But sure, opinions may differ.

Comparing the GH3 with a popular and considerably small APSC like D7000 shows, that the APSC is much taller and heavier than the GH3:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Comparing a GH3 with a FF DSLR like the D800 shows even more how small the GH3 is and it is almost half the weight:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

Sure there are different requirements and preferences from photographers, but I would not consider the GH3 as big and in the same league WRT size and weight as APSC DSLRs and DSLRs.

Now where the real difference and advantage in size and weight from m43 comes is from the lenses. These are considerably smaller and allow for small and lightweight kit.

Looking forward to feel a GH3 in my hands

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

OM-D w/ 12-50 kit lens worked fine for me in Paris last October

Post Thanks / Like

Like you, I've spent much time with big Nikons and the standard 24-70 and 70-200 zooms . . . . but unlike you I've learned to love the ungripped EM5. it's just practice.
    Like you (I assume!) I do try to minimize my time with the big Nikon even though it's pure performance is a treat. I do hope that someone else eventually puts a decent buffer into a camera.

The ungripped EM5 is a, of course, a very small camera with very big performance. In fact, it was my EM5 that led me to sell my M9. It didn't hurt that I prefer my Olympus 75mm f/1.8 over my Summicron 75mm f/2.

I'm afraid my M9 just got squeezed out by the micro 4/3's world from below and the FF Nikon world from above. Even though the new M looks like a big advancement, it is probably too little and too late for me.

-Bill

Fashion Meets Fighting

April 2012 – Bill Fulcher | HatakeyamaGallery.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Peter . . if I were happy with the size of the GH3, then I'd simply grab an D800 or an A99, because it's not that much bigger, has a Sony sensor, and it's full frame. The point of 43 to me is that it's small . . . of course, if I were shooting video it might be different.
    I simply don't see what's more 'pro' about the GH3? . . . unless it's size . . . . anyway, the GH3 has a popup flash, and it's a well known fact that NO pro level camera has a popup flash . . .. and 5 programmable function buttons! Talk about feature bloat!

It's taken me a few years to move my muscle memory down from expecting a D2x to an OMD, and I'm not planning to go back in the other direction!

I suspect that when Olympus do bring out a 'pro' OMD, then the only difference from the current one will be the size and the price - (same sensor, same menu, same sealing, same magnesium alloy body) Of course, I could be wrong!

For video it's different . . .but even dPreview don't seem very convinced: I'm not sure I should post this, but it's directly from their preview conclusions

Once you're looking at a sensor design that has yet to show it can progress beyond 16MP, in a camera body that is now only slightly more compact than an enthusiast APS-C DSLR like the 24MP Sony SLT-A77, the benefits of buying into a Micro Four Thirds system really come down to feature set. And buyers for whom broadcast video production is not a priority may be less swayed than they would have been by a smaller body. Another big question in the ever-competitive enthusiast market is whether Panasonic can deliver on significant advances in image quality and high ISO performance. We won't know of course, until we have a production model in our hands and give it our thorough testing. We look forward to finding out.

not very enthusiastic praise. Olympus, with their Sony sensor seem to have a tick on image quality and size . . . of course, if you want to shoot video?
    Jono,
    While it's true that the GH3 is about the same size as a Nikon D3200, it's important to remember that the Nikon is the smallest Nikon DSLR body with the slimmest set of features, while the Panasonic is the largest m4/3 body with an awesome feature set and pro build quality. Another important difference is that almost any lens that is used on the GH3 can also be used on an E-PL5 or E-PM2. Not only is the GH3 one of the smallest "pro" bodies around, but the system also has pocket sized alternatives, obsoleting the need for a point-and-shoot camera for many, including me.

When that is said, the size of the thing is one of the reasons why I chose to buy another GH1 and a GH2 instead. The image and video quality of the GH2 is very close to the GH3 anyway. It did also help that the price of those two bodies combined was 40% lower than one GH3

Post Thanks / Like

As a prime user, I would concur with those who suggest the 14 / 20 / 45 combination. I could never get away with using a slow zoom, even for outside. In fact, I've ditched the 20mm as well, and never notice the need for something in between the other lenses.

But everyone's different, which is why these questions cannot really be answered. It's also down to affordability. If I had the 75mm I might instead choose to carry 14 / 45 / 75.

This was taken on my most recent trip.

fair ground by robinparmar, on Flickr
    Listen to my new album "The Drones" free on BandCamp. Visit my Flickr images, website, or blog. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

>14-140 HD

Often this is the most flexible lens. At least for video. I think switching lenses often does not help.

>The image and video quality of the GH2 is very close to the GH3 anyway.

For stills that might be true, don't think for video. The GH2 needs at least to be hacked to be even in the ballpark of the GH3. I am thrilled about the Gh3 video (although some more moire/aliasing due to more details). Shadows are way more open with the GH3 using the new all I codecs. Also 60p at 1080p.

https://vimeo.com/55230058

Handling E-M5 vs. GH3: For me the GH3 is just right and I am glad that Panasonic opted for a slightly bigger body. You save on lenses.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Panny 12-35 f2.8 + the 14-140 best combo 20/1.7 is good but not all that useful the 12-35 is so good
    I used both in CA for 3 months for stills and video with the Oly EM-5 + full grip
    Last edited by m43; 7th January 2013 at 14:27.

Post Thanks / Like

On a recent trip to Cambodia and Japan, I took my OM-D and 7-14/4 + 25/1.4 + 45/1.4 + 75/1.8 lenses. The 75/1.8 was on the camera most of the time, only because it's a freakingly sharp lens with incredible bokeh/blur quality.

I will be taking the same setup to Italy next month, but will add the 100-300 lens although I am not expecting to use it much.

rcoles

The main reasons I have just purchased the E-M5 was to add capabilities I cannot do with my M9 (macro, telephoto and bad weather photography) and to have a backup camera. So my current E-M-5 kit, would be the 12-50 and the 100-300.
    Bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the E-M5 kit with the 12-50 zoom, which I've yet to use much, and three primes:

M Zuiko 12/2, M Zuiko 45/1.8 and the Pana-Leica 25/1.4 Summilux. It neatly lines up with how I shoot with my M kit and how I used to shoot with my Nikon F3 kit. I also got an adapter for my old Nikkor lenses, adding my 105/2.5 to the OM-D's kit as a pretty decent wildlife lens!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm spending the next 2 months in Cozumel, Mexico and have a place to work out of. 2 OMD bodies, 1 with Oly grip/1 with 3rd party thumb grip. 7-14, 9-18, 12-50, 100-300, 12-35, 35-100 and 12/20/45/60/75. As I said, I'm away from home and I intend to try everything. I will have a need for speed when the Carnival parades happen as well as other night performances. My personal walk around is the small body and the 12-50. I did not bring my 14-140 as I thought my copy was a bit soft compared to my other glass. I use a smallish shoulder bag and try not to stand out in a crowd because of my gear.
    I came down with only 2 carry-on bags that luckily they didn't weigh but on the flight the stewardess picked up my camera bag, which besides the camera gear also held my laptop and my iPad. I think she has a hernia now. Could be trouble on the way home. Maybe they will let me on naked.