Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

bobby_t1

Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

I leave for a 2 week trip in Turkey in 2 weeks and am trying to assemble my travel kit based on my Olympus OM-D and would love some advice.

My challenge is two fold:
    1. I've been a DSLR shooter for a long time and just switched over from a Nikon D7000. I have zero experience with m4/3 prior to the Olympus (which I received 3 days ago)
    2. Normally I'd rent a bunch of lenses, use them over the course of a few weeks, then make a decision. However, since I leave in a couple of weeks (and I work a fulltime job ), I don't have time to do this.

I already own the following lenses, but not necessarily committed to bringing either of them:

• Panasonic 20 1.7 pancake
    • Panasonic 14 2.5 pancake

During our travel, we'll being doing a mix of nature, as well as urban environments. Typically I shoot a mix of 50% landscapes (about 1/3 are HDR), 40% architecture, and 10% people. I like to shoot lowlight as well, with maybe 1/3 my architecture shots being at night.

Given I'm new to the platform, I'd like to get advice from those that have shot with the OM-D for longer than 3 days () and have experience with the variety of lenses.

I like to travel relatively light, which I'm already going to be doing by ditching my D7000 in favor of the OM-D. So that's definitely a big win there. I don't mind switching lenses, but prefer fewer lenses over more.

Notes:

- Ideally, I'd like to try to keep it as 2 lens combo, but will do 3 or 4 lenses if htat makes sense. I don't mind leaving lenses behind in the hotel room if they aren't needed for the outing I"m going on (e.g. I'm likely bringing the Panny 20 1.7 for night shooting exclusively due to speed and size).

- In terms of cost, assume money is no object (not that I'm rich, I'm just selling a whack of Nikon lenses so I feel rich at the moment).

- In my last trips to Europe (France, Switzerland), I had my D7000 and brought a Tokina 11-16 and a NIkon 17-55 2.8. These have effective focal lenghts of 16-24mm and 25-82mm respectively. About 5% of the time, I wish I had something a bit longer. I barely ever shot at right at 11mm with the Tokina (16mm effective) since I felt it was a bit too wide.

- While I'm asking about travel setup, ideally I'd love to not buy or rent anything just for traveling. I'd want to end up with a setup that I'd equally find useful at home. This however, is the lowest priority requirement I have.

One initial question I have:
    1. The debate between the Pansonic 7-14 and Olympus 9-18 is immense. I know the IQ on the 7-14 is vastly superior which draws me to it, but it's larger than the 9-18 and has no ability to attach ND or polarizers easily. What are people's thoughts on this?

Other than this, I"d love to get people's recommended setups based on the info I've provided above. Just give me thoughts on which lenses would be good, and what your justification is.

If I can provide more information, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

I would take a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 as your workhorse, an Olympus 75mm f/1.8 for mild telephoto work and your Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for low light. Unfortunately, the first two are not cheap glass but should be useful at home after you return from the trip. If you can live without the 75mm f/1.8, just add an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 to the two you already own for a (mostly fast) light travel kit. As a second alternative, an Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 and your 20mm f/1.7 would probably work. It kind of depends upon how you feel about slow zooms.

Post Thanks / Like

The 12-35 2.8 would be my first choice if cost was not an issue, covers the range where I do 90% of my shooting. For less cash the Panny 14-45 ($250) gets very good reviews. I have one on order but have not received it yet. The 12-50 Oly can be found used for near the same price. Combine any of these with your 20 1.7 and you have a nice travel kit.
    Shaun O'Boyle
    new.oboylephoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bob;

I chose the 9-18 over the 7-14 because of the filters. I use NDs and polarizers often. And I've been in some nasty environments where a filter really is essential protection; think seashores in a storm, thermal basins in Yellowstone, salt flats at Death Valley when the wind picks up, etc.
    Yes the 7-14 gives better results, but I think "vastly" is perhaps overstating it.

From DPreview's lens review, they said .... "Compared to the tiny Olympus M ZD 9-18mm F4-5.6, there's really little in it. The Panasonic offers more consistent sharpness across the frame at 9mm, but the Olympus is noticeably sharper in the central region at 14mm; and when used on an Olympus camera such as the E-P2 the Panasonic shows a little less lateral chromatic aberration"

If you don't mind the bulk, the older 4/3 version of the 9-18 has slightly better corners at wider apertures, but you'll need an adapter, AF is slower, and it takes 72mm filters ($$$). This is the version I have, purchased before the m4/3 version was available. I really do like this lens.

As for lenses to take on your trip,
    For lightweight and convenience:
    The 9-18 (or 7-14) paired with the Oly 14-150 would be a great two lens combo; although I would also take the 20mm for low light situations. This would be my choice.

For the highest image quality, and assuming you don't want to take a bunch of primes:
    The 7-14mm, the Pana 12-35, and one of the tele-zooms from Oly or Pana would be my choice. I have the Pana 45-200 and it's quite decent if you stay under 125mm. It's too bad the Pana 35-100 isn't available yet.

You are bringing a backup body right?

Have a great trip.

Regards,
    Santo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am going thru the same thought process right now too (for 6 days in Paris and a week long bicycle trip thru southern France in mid-September). I have an OMD, but haven't used it enough to be comfortable with the menus etc, so probably won't take it. That leaves me with the Panasonic GH-2. I'm trying to decide which of these four Panasonic lenses to take: 14-45, 14-140 HD, 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. I hadn't really thought about taking a backup body, but perhaps I should (a G1), although it means carrying extra batteries, charger etc.

I've been very happy with the 14-45 on my G1, but I haven't used the 14-140 HD lens very much. I (and perhaps the OP also) would appreciate thoughts of some one with experience with this lens. It's certainly a useful focal length range.

Gary

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it is a bit on the piggy side, but i have found the oly 75-300 to be an amazing lens. and i third the vote for the panny 12-35 f2.8. that leaves a hole, of course
    Last edited by jlm; 24th August 2012 at 15:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gary,

A few years ago, the wife and I were on vacation in Crete. On the third day, at a small beach resort on the south coast, my only camera and lens jumped off a bar stool (long story), and expired. I was about to purchase a dozen disposal cameras at a kiosk on the beach when the owner mentioned he had a small digicam that the sales rep had left to see if there might be any interest. So, I purchased last years model at double the retail price back home, along with some SD cards since my camera used CF cards. IQ was nowhere close to my DSLR, but waaaay better than what the disposables would have produced. So now, I always take a backup.

Regards
    Santo

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken a couple of trips with my now-ancient Panny G1. I take the kit zoom (14-45mm, effective 28-90), plus the 20/1.7 and a 90mm Voigtlander 90/3.5 (effective 180mm). I focus the latter manually with the electronic magnifier. It's worked very well for me. I'm a normal lens guy by inclination, so the 20/1.7 gets the most use, it's kind of midway between the classic 50 and 35mm views on film.

It's been a good combo, and the whole outfit fits in a small bag.

So the suggestion of the Oly kit zoom, Panny 20/1.7 an Oly 75/1.8 on the OM-D is very similar. I think you'd have most of the bases covered.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a week away with my OM-D in England. I took the Pan 12-35/2.8 the Oly 45/1.8, the Pan 100-300 and the Oly 12-50 kit (for macro). I also had the X-Pro 1 with me (18 & 35mm).
    I used the OM-D + 12-35 for 90% of the shots indoor and outdoor. I took a few indoor portraits with the 45/1.8, never used the 100-300 or the kit lens, and took a few shots with the X-Pro 1 and the iPhone. I prefer to use the X-Pro 1 when I know in advance what I will be shooting or have plenty of time to spend on my own. The OM-D with a zoom is better for the unknown and unexpected.

I found for walk-about the 12-35 was ideal for the sort of subjects I was taking. I needed nothing wider and only on a couple of occasions did I wish I had a longer lens - for example when I found a water vole a couple of yards away and didn't have the 100-300 in my bag.

Oh - take plenty of batteries. I had 3 - and always had the grip with extra battery on the OM-D.

Cheers
    Last edited by Braeside; 24th August 2012 at 04:59. Reason: typos
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm off to Crete next week and have similar dilemmas.
    I've changed my 100-300 for the Oly 75-300, and that'll definitely be coming along for wildlife etc. the 45 f1.8 and the 20 f1.7 because they're small and useful. the 9-18 for wide angle . . . I can't decide whether to take the 12-35 or the 12-50 kit.
    One nice thing is that even bringing all of these lenses only fills a small bag . . . I remember going with a D2x, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and lugging all that lot around!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I am just in the middle of a 2 week vacation trip in little mountains in east Germany. Besides taking some images at the veterans europeasn champiopnchip for athletics we do hiking, cycle tours and stuff like that. Also visiting cities. I brought the omd (and M9) and for the OMD:
    20/1.7 for low light
    12-35
    12-50 (for bad conditions)
    14-150 (for flexible small lens)
    100-300 (for athletics)
    9-18

So far I have mainly used the 12-35 all the time. Perfect for my taste.
    Just in the stadium I used the 14-150 which was long enough so I didnt even carry the 100-300.
    And I took some images with the 9.-18 when we went up on a "tight" mountain.
    SO far I am very happy with the 12-35. I feel to maske no compromise in IQ, it is a very usefull range for my type of photography, size is still ok and f2.8 is quite nice. I dont see any application where I would prefer the kit 12-50 besides a sandy beach maybe.
    The 100-300... I have to admit the for the last 3 months I did not have one image where the 14-150 would not have been long enough. Could be different if we went for birding.

Praising the 12-35 I have to mention that I also have the M9 with me with primes. <otherwise I might also have brought 1 or 2 primes for the OMD.

Have to admit that <i use the omd much more than I had planned before.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I've changed my 100-300 for the Oly 75-300, and that'll definitely be coming along for wildlife etc. the 45 f1.8 and the 20 f1.7 because they're small and useful. the 9-18 for wide angle . . . I can't decide whether to take the 12-35 or the 12-50 kit.
    One nice thing is that even bringing all of these lenses only fills a small bag . . . I remember going with a D2x, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and lugging all that lot around!

all the best
    I would take the 12-35. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered a 12-35 this morning. I have been a little reluctant to take an expensive bit of photo kit on this trip, because of the many stories I've heard re thievery, but I guess it's worth the risk. Not sure when (or if) I'll ever get back to France again.

Gary

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd bring just three zooms: 7-14, 14-140, 100-300 - perfect trio !

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I'd bring just three zooms: 7-14, 14-140, 100-300 - perfect trio !

All the best.
    Recently returned from 2 weeks in the UK - took those three plus the Oly 12-50 kit lens. The three mentioned worked excellently together, and the 12-50 made a useful damp weather/single lens walk-around lens.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP: I really don't see why your two pancakes can't be enough, unless the pan 14 quality isn't there!
    If you did get the 12-35, the 20 1.7 can be you low light lens and fit in your pocket. I'd say keep it simple for travels, and there is plenty of range there. Just my opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Po-Ming......the 12-35/2.8 and the 20/1.7 is what I'm planning to take now too. I might add the 14-140 for the extra reach, if I have space in the Lowepro Photo Runner.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regarding the Panasonic 7-14 and filters: Fotodiox just announced their WonderPana Filter System and it lists the Panny 7-14 as compatible. Read all about it here.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Regarding the Panasonic 7-14 and filters: Fotodiox just announced their WonderPana Filter System and it lists the Panny 7-14 as compatible. Read all about it here.
    Carlos,

Thanks for the information on the Fotodiox Filter System, I was about to order an extra lens cap for my Panasonic 7-14mm to modify for use with filters.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought you're taking the M10 only!

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

all the best
    Jono,

How do you like the Oly 75-300 compared to the Panasonic 100-300?

I know that it is smaller. How are the images from the new lens?

Have a great trip to Crete...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

not Jono, but...
    here's one from the 75-300, hand held, probably at 300mm
    Last edited by jlm; 25th August 2012 at 14:42.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    not Jono, but...
    here's one from the 75-300, hand held
    Nice one John . . . Here's one from me from today:

again, hand held. . . I feel I've failed with a proper representation of the dog's tongue

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Blackwood View Post
    Jono,

How do you like the Oly 75-300 compared to the Panasonic 100-300?

I know that it is smaller. How are the images from the new lens?

Have a great trip to Crete...
    Hi Joe
    I have a definite feeling about the difference between the images . . but I suspect it might be more to do with the feel of the lenses.

To be honest, without real and serious comparisons, I'm not sure there's much difference . . I changed for two reasons:
    1. Size
    2. Occasional aperture rattle on the OMD with the 100-300
    3. I prefer the more 'analogue' feel of the Zuiko lenses (and if you understand that you can explain it back to me!).

. . . sorry, that's three reasons

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

This thread got me to thinking does anyone travel or use an OM-D with 12 f2.0 / 20 f2.0 /45 f1.8 combo? Its a nice set of compact HQ primes. The "problem lens" is the expensive 12mm.

This would be a similar set to the original Contax G2 kit with 21mm/45mm/90mm

The digital version would be a bit more "risky" if you had a lot of lens changes with dust incursion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

1) You take great shots with the 100-300
    2) GAS set in
    3) I buy the 100-300
    4) You sell the 100-300 and buy something else.

Apparently I can't keep up

Actually I purchased the 100-300 a few weeks ago but have only had time to do a few test shots. They look great and I understood going in that the 75- 300 may have been a better choice (and maybe not) but I bought the 100-300 at a good price from another forum member and its a range didn't think I would use often. I'm happy with it and it was a great choice for me. I have attached one of the test shots. Nothing great but my first day with it, handheld and at ISO 6400.

Congrats on the 75-300. The photo you posted above is excellent.

Jim

To be on topic for one second - when I travel I usually find something like the 12-50 (or if I owned it the 12-35) zoom and the 25 1.4 for low light cover most of my needs.
    Last edited by JMaher; 26th August 2012 at 19:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JMaher View Post
    Jono,

1) You take great shots with the 100-300
    2) GAS set in
    3) I buy the 100-300
    4) You sell the 100-300 and buy something else.

Apparently I can't keep up

Actually I purchased the 100-300 a few weeks ago but have only had time to do a few test shots. They look great and I understood going in that the 75- 300 may have been a better choice (and maybe not) but I bought the 100-300 at a good price from another forum member and its a range didn't think I would use often. I'm happy with it and it was a great choice for me. I have attached one of the test shots. Nothing great but my first day with it, handheld and at ISO 6400.

Congrats on the 75-300. The photo you posted above is excellent.
    LOL - sorry Jim - absolutely NOTHING wrong with the 100-300, it's faster as well, I only changed for the size, and the fact that my particular body was particularly subject to aperture chatter- which I found pretty irritating. (having got another body which is much better, that complaint seems to go away).

I don't think the 75-300 has better image quality, and the difference in size isn't that big a deal!

I was sending lots of kit to ebay, and it just seemed like a good idea at the time!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what is the feeling about a mid tele-soom, covering the gap between 35 and 75?

Post Thanks / Like

bobby,
    you already have the two lenses needed for your task. Landscape and architecture you do with the 14/2.8 that is great at f5.6
    For people 20/1.7 is perfect.
    If you have too much money you might want to get the 45/1.8 for portraits if you do any and Lensababy tilt&shift for architecture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just back from my trip to France. Since half the trip was on a bicycle, I decided to keep it very simple.....a GH-2 and one lens, the 12-35/2.8.

The pictures look very good, but there were many, many times when I was wishing for a longer lens. Should have brought the 14-140 or even the 100-300. Lesson learned. :-(

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just back from three weeks in Crete - I left the 14-150 behind, and really regretted it.
    Travel zooms are not named that for nothing!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am off to the Greek Cyclades Islands on Friday and I shall take my OMD with 12-50, Pana 100-300 and Pana-Leica 45.2.8 macro.

This will be backed up with Fuji XPro1, 18 and 35mm lenses.

The 14-150 would be nice......................!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

You already have the 14 and 20, that's the wide end covered. Just buy the 45 and you'll be carrying the same kit I carry every day. It's very light and of high quality and a very small extra investment. There's no need to complicate things.

Post Thanks / Like

I am planning a trip to Barcelona in about a month. I think I'll take two DMC-G3 bodies - one with the 14-140mm, the other with either the 20mm f1.7 or 25mm 1.4 Summilux. Probably the 20mm.

Thanks for getting the neurons firing in that direction.

Reed
    My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

The problem for me with the system now is the lack of a high quality 70-200mm equivalent zoom -- soon to be solved with the release of the 35-100mm Panasonic. That lens and the 12mm or 14mm and 20mm or 25mm primes will make a great travel kit.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rgeorge911 View Post
    I am planning a trip to Barcelona in about a month. I think I'll take two DMC-G3 bodies - one with the 14-140mm, the other with either the 20mm f1.7 or 25mm 1.4 Summilux. Probably the 20mm.

Thanks for getting the neurons firing in that direction.

Reed
    My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by httivals View Post
    The problem for me with the system now is the lack of a high quality 70-200mm equivalent zoom -- soon to be solved with the release of the 35-100mm Panasonic. That lens and the 12mm or 14mm and 20mm or 25mm primes will make a great travel kit.
    For normal, planned photo opportunities I'd agree, but for travel, the 14-150 Zuiko is really good - excellent quality, small and very flexible. I didn't take mine to Crete, and regretted it. Now I'm in Cornwall trying out Leica R lenses . . I left the 28-90 at home and am regretting that.

For me, travel photography is about being flexible and grabbing whatever comes up - a wide range zoom makes this possible, and the small sacrifice of quality is rarely of much importance (sure, I carry a couple of primes as well . . and sure, in normal circumstances I shoot primes).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although I took my Fuji X1Pro to the Cyclades, I only used it for 15 shots...some of those were also taken with the OMD and Oly 12-50 and I preferred them! I used the 100-300 for only a few more shots than I took with the X1Pro and the Leica 45mm macro not at all!

I would have liked a bit more reach on the 12-60, so the 14-150 would have been perfect. I also intend to get the Oly 9-18 in preference to the Pana 7-14 as it is much smaller and will enable filters which the Oly does not.

On the subject of Pana 100-300 v Oly 75-300, the old hands at m4/3rds tell me that the Oly is much slower to focus, with a slower max aperture but with otherwise no discernible difference in IQ.

My Fuji X1Pro is going up for sale!!!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Figured I would post one pic here from our trip to France in September.

The kit I took (GH2 and the 12-35/2.8 lens) worked great, but as noted above, I should have brought a longer focal length zoom also.

From a small town in Provence. I used this image for a recent color print exchange.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I am going thru the same thought process right now too (for 6 days in Paris and a week long bicycle trip thru southern France in mid-September). I have an OMD, but haven't used it enough to be comfortable with the menus etc, so probably won't take it. That leaves me with the Panasonic GH-2. I'm trying to decide which of these four Panasonic lenses to take: 14-45, 14-140 HD, 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. I hadn't really thought about taking a backup body, but perhaps I should (a G1), although it means carrying extra batteries, charger etc.

I've been very happy with the 14-45 on my G1, but I haven't used the 14-140 HD lens very much. I (and perhaps the OP also) would appreciate thoughts of some one with experience with this lens. It's certainly a useful focal length range.

Gary
    As much as I dislike the 14-140 lens, it has been my most used lens while I was traveling. Nothing can touch the range of the lens and its IQ is acceptable if there is enough light for you to stop down to f8 or so. The 14-140 is practically for all outside shooting. The low light indoor shots will be the job for the 20/1.7.

I have been in the same boat as you before. My recommendation will be the GH2+14-140+20/1.7.
    Stephen Lau
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.pbase.com/stephenl

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread seems to go on forever, so here's my take:

Normally, when travelling, I ususally take one WA zoom (always the Pana 7-14), one normal zoom (used to be the PanaLeica 14-50/2.8-3.5 but for my next trip, I'll try out the Pana 14-45/3.5-5.6) and one relatively long portait lens (used to be the Zeiss CY 85/1.4, but that has now been replaced by the Zuiko 75/1.8).

When I've bought the lenses that I plan to buy for m4/3, my setup will probably change to:

Pana 7-14/4
    Zuiko 17/1.8
    Zuiko 45/1.8 (may be replaced by the Pana 42.5/1.2 when it becomes available)
    Zuiko 75/1.8

I do prefer primes for travel, since I mostly have enough time to choose a framing that is suitable for the lenses that I have available. The reward is the ability to shoot at very wide apertures when needed and ultimate image quality. The exception from the rule is ultra-WA, which is mostly used for landscapes and architecture, where the ability to move around is often restricted in relation to the photo I want to shoot.

I often travel with two camera bodies, currently 2 x GH1, but that may change to GH2 plus E-PL5 in the near future. If I shoot mostly landscape or architecture, the 7-14 is permanent on one body while lenses will vary on the other. If I shoot mainly street (portraits), the 75 will be permanent on one body, and so on...

"Unfortunately" part of my E-PL5 budget went into a mint Nikkor 28mm 2.0 AI last night, a lens that I've wanted for the F6 for some time now, and that might even find it's way onto m4/3 as well, replacing the OM Zuiko 28mm 2.8 that has been my "normal" lens so far.

Did this look confusing to you? It most certainly did to me
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

So here is my current pick (obviously changes over time as more lens choices become available):

7-14 Pana
    12-35 Pana
    35-100 Pana

Before the availability of the 12-35 Pana I would have chosen the 1.4/25 PanaLeica. This might be in my bag anyway as I prefer a really fast and high quality lens.

Wight is a NO ISSUE with m43 coming from Nikon FF or Hasselblad

BTW since the availability and great reports of the GH3 this might become my camera (system) of choice and mid term also replace all my Nikon gear. Too bad that Olympus cannot come up with a pro like body as the GH3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, this seems a very good selection of lenses.
    Personally I would very much miss the opportunity to fit a filter to the 7-14 which is why I went for the very compact Oly 9-18.

I would like to know why you think that the GH3 is more professional than the OMD though? Unless of course you are using it for video work then I might agree!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shall be off for a long trip during January. The nice thing about m4/3rds kit is that I can take everything!!! The total weight of my bag is well below the 6Kg maximum cabin baggage limit of the airline carrier....hooray!!

So my bag will consist of:
    2 x OMD bodies
    Oly 9-14
    Oly 14-150
    Oly 12-100 for when it's wet!!
    Pana Leica 45 macro
    Pana 100-300
    Oly 600R flash

I will chose which lens or lenses to use on the day according to assignment. For wildlife I will take both OMD bodies, one fitted with the 100-300, the other with the 12-100.

For most other touristy things it will be the 14-150 that get's used most, I bet!
    Cheers, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    This thread got me to thinking does anyone travel or use an OM-D with 12 f2.0 / 20 f2.0 /45 f1.8 combo? Its a nice set of compact HQ primes. The "problem lens" is the expensive 12mm.

This would be a similar set to the original Contax G2 kit with 21mm/45mm/90mm

The digital version would be a bit more "risky" if you had a lot of lens changes with dust incursion.
    14/25/45 is my travel combo and works beautifully. It's as light as it gets and all elnses are sharp. The 12/20/45 would work similarly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Peter, this seems a very good selection of lenses.
    Personally I would very much miss the opportunity to fit a filter to the 7-14 which is why I went for the very compact Oly 9-18.

I would like to know why you think that the GH3 is more professional than the OMD though? Unless of course you are using it for video work then I might agree!
    I never held a GH3 in hand, but from the form factor and having owned a E5 I think the GH3 is much more WRT handling than the E5. Which the OMD is not!

Sure the OMD is small and this is appealing, as is the retro look. But for daily shooting I hionestly would prefer something like a mini E5. Which again the GH3 seems to be. Need to get my hands on one

Also the GH3 has the faster processing and better video capabilities, which also adds to more professional "feeling". And I am more getting into video - which I never had thought some 1-2 years ago

Just my 5c

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I never held a GH3 in hand, but from the form factor and having owned a E5 I think the GH3 is much more WRT handling than the E5. Which the OMD is not!

Sure the OMD is small and this is appealing, as is the retro look. But for daily shooting I hionestly would prefer something like a mini E5. Which again the GH3 seems to be. Need to get my hands on one

Also the GH3 has the faster processing and better video capabilities, which also adds to more professional "feeling". And I am more getting into video - which I never had thought some 1-2 years ago

Just my 5c
    Hi Peter
    Well, size doesn't come into professional from my point of view . . . but toughness does, having used my OMD in pouring rain without mishap and having slammed it, base plate first, from 5 ft onto a sharp rock with all my body weight behind it (I fell on some scree you understand). . . and for it to carry on working properly . . THAT's my definition of professional body! I'm not convinced that the GH3 would put up with that treatment (if it would, it'd be the first panasonic ever that does).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter
    Well, size doesn't come into professional from my point of view . . . but toughness does, having used my OMD in pouring rain without mishap and having slammed it, base plate first, from 5 ft onto a sharp rock with all my body weight behind it (I fell on some scree you understand). . . and for it to carry on working properly . . THAT's my definition of professional body! I'm not convinced that the GH3 would put up with that treatment (if it would, it'd be the first panasonic ever that does).
    Maybe your treatment is a bit too much but I would say if the GH3 is not at least as tough as the OMD then there must be something wrong with that whole new design. I believe it is the first of a new pro direction cameras from Panasonic and I do hope I am not wrong ....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe your treatment is a bit too much but I would say if the GH3 is not at least as tough as the OMD then there must be something wrong with that whole new design. I believe it is the first of a new pro direction cameras from Panasonic and I do hope I am not wrong ....
    Well, maybe it is as tough (how can I possibly know) Olympus have been making professional quality cameras for decades, Panasonic have not, but it's also much (much) bigger . . . Surely the whole point of 43 is the size . . .

Size Comparison

But the real point is the sensor - like the rest of us, with each iteration of the Panasonic sensors - promised to be so much of an improvement, the lightly AA filtered Sony sensor in the OMD is a revelation.

But this all hinges around the definition of 'professional', and it seems that perhaps you mean BIG and I mean TOUGH!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe it is as tough (how can I possibly know) Olympus have been making professional quality cameras for decades, Panasonic have not, but it's also much (much) bigger . . . Surely the whole point of 43 is the size . . .

Size Comparison

But the real point is the sensor - like the rest of us, with each iteration of the Panasonic sensors - promised to be so much of an improvement, the lightly AA filtered Sony sensor in the OMD is a revelation.

But this all hinges around the definition of 'professional', and it seems that perhaps you mean BIG and I mean TOUGH!

all the best
    I agree that the point of m43 is size, but I would have loved the OMD to just be a tiny bit bigger with a better integrated grip. Actually the size comparison shows that the GH3 is only a tiny bit bigger that the OMD, but much better to hold (at least from the impression I get from the pictures). I may be wrong but I do think I am right - time will tell.

It looks a bit like a mini E5 and one of the most important things I liked about the E5 was how well it fitted in my hands. Which I cannot say about the OMD - at least not without battery grip mounted. I would love that Oly finally could build such a m43 camera - mE5

Sure the final thing is the quality of the sensor and processing engines, so we need to wait. But at least from what we know so far it looks really promising.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that the point of m43 is size, but I would have loved the OMD to just be a tiny bit bigger with a better integrated grip. Actually the size comparison shows that the GH3 is only a tiny bit bigger that the OMD, but much better to hold (at least from the impression I get from the pictures). I may be wrong but I do think I am right - time will tell.

It looks a bit like a mini E5 and one of the most important things I liked about the E5 was how well it fitted in my hands. Which I cannot say about the OMD - at least not without battery grip mounted. I would love that Oly finally could build such a m43 camera - mE5

Sure the final thing is the quality of the sensor and processing engines, so we need to wait. But at least from what we know so far it looks really promising.
    Well Peter . . if I were happy with the size of the GH3, then I'd simply grab an D800 or an A99, because it's not that much bigger, has a Sony sensor, and it's full frame. The point of 43 to me is that it's small . . . of course, if I were shooting video it might be different.
    I simply don't see what's more 'pro' about the GH3? . . . unless it's size . . . . anyway, the GH3 has a popup flash, and it's a well known fact that NO pro level camera has a popup flash . . .. and 5 programmable function buttons! Talk about feature bloat!

It's taken me a few years to move my muscle memory down from expecting a D2x to an OMD, and I'm not planning to go back in the other direction!

I suspect that when Olympus do bring out a 'pro' OMD, then the only difference from the current one will be the size and the price - (same sensor, same menu, same sealing, same magnesium alloy body) Of course, I could be wrong!

For video it's different . . .but even dPreview don't seem very convinced: I'm not sure I should post this, but it's directly from their preview conclusions

Once you're looking at a sensor design that has yet to show it can progress beyond 16MP, in a camera body that is now only slightly more compact than an enthusiast APS-C DSLR like the 24MP Sony SLT-A77, the benefits of buying into a Micro Four Thirds system really come down to feature set. And buyers for whom broadcast video production is not a priority may be less swayed than they would have been by a smaller body. Another big question in the ever-competitive enthusiast market is whether Panasonic can deliver on significant advances in image quality and high ISO performance. We won't know of course, until we have a production model in our hands and give it our thorough testing. We look forward to finding out.

not very enthusiastic praise. Olympus, with their Sony sensor seem to have a tick on image quality and size . . . of course, if you want to shoot video?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 10th December 2012 at 14:12.

Just this guy you know