The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on OM-D travel lens combo for upcoming trip to Europe

B

bobby_t1

I leave for a 2 week trip in Turkey in 2 weeks and am trying to assemble my travel kit based on my Olympus OM-D and would love some advice.

My challenge is two fold:
  1. I've been a DSLR shooter for a long time and just switched over from a Nikon D7000. I have zero experience with m4/3 prior to the Olympus (which I received 3 days ago)
  2. Normally I'd rent a bunch of lenses, use them over the course of a few weeks, then make a decision. However, since I leave in a couple of weeks (and I work a fulltime job ;)), I don't have time to do this.

I already own the following lenses, but not necessarily committed to bringing either of them:

• Panasonic 20 1.7 pancake
  • Panasonic 14 2.5 pancake

During our travel, we'll being doing a mix of nature, as well as urban environments. Typically I shoot a mix of 50% landscapes (about 1/3 are HDR), 40% architecture, and 10% people. I like to shoot lowlight as well, with maybe 1/3 my architecture shots being at night.

Given I'm new to the platform, I'd like to get advice from those that have shot with the OM-D for longer than 3 days (;)) and have experience with the variety of lenses.

I like to travel relatively light, which I'm already going to be doing by ditching my D7000 in favor of the OM-D. So that's definitely a big win there. I don't mind switching lenses, but prefer fewer lenses over more.

Notes:

- Ideally, I'd like to try to keep it as 2 lens combo, but will do 3 or 4 lenses if htat makes sense. I don't mind leaving lenses behind in the hotel room if they aren't needed for the outing I"m going on (e.g. I'm likely bringing the Panny 20 1.7 for night shooting exclusively due to speed and size).

- In terms of cost, assume money is no object (not that I'm rich, I'm just selling a whack of Nikon lenses so I feel rich at the moment).

- In my last trips to Europe (France, Switzerland), I had my D7000 and brought a Tokina 11-16 and a NIkon 17-55 2.8. These have effective focal lenghts of 16-24mm and 25-82mm respectively. About 5% of the time, I wish I had something a bit longer. I barely ever shot at right at 11mm with the Tokina (16mm effective) since I felt it was a bit too wide.

- While I'm asking about travel setup, ideally I'd love to not buy or rent anything just for traveling. I'd want to end up with a setup that I'd equally find useful at home. This however, is the lowest priority requirement I have.

One initial question I have:
1. The debate between the Pansonic 7-14 and Olympus 9-18 is immense. I know the IQ on the 7-14 is vastly superior which draws me to it, but it's larger than the 9-18 and has no ability to attach ND or polarizers easily. What are people's thoughts on this?

Other than this, I"d love to get people's recommended setups based on the info I've provided above. Just give me thoughts on which lenses would be good, and what your justification is.

If I can provide more information, let me know.

I would take a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 as your workhorse, an Olympus 75mm f/1.8 for mild telephoto work and your Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for low light. Unfortunately, the first two are not cheap glass but should be useful at home after you return from the trip. If you can live without the 75mm f/1.8, just add an Olympus 45mm f/1.8 to the two you already own for a (mostly fast) light travel kit. As a second alternative, an Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 and your 20mm f/1.7 would probably work. It kind of depends upon how you feel about slow zooms.

soboyle

The 12-35 2.8 would be my first choice if cost was not an issue, covers the range where I do 90% of my shooting. For less cash the Panny 14-45 ($250) gets very good reviews. I have one on order but have not received it yet. The 12-50 Oly can be found used for near the same price. Combine any of these with your 20 1.7 and you have a nice travel kit.

sangio

Hi Bob;

I chose the 9-18 over the 7-14 because of the filters. I use NDs and polarizers often. And I've been in some nasty environments where a filter really is essential protection; think seashores in a storm, thermal basins in Yellowstone, salt flats at Death Valley when the wind picks up, etc.
Yes the 7-14 gives better results, but I think "vastly" is perhaps overstating it.

From DPreview's lens review, they said .... "Compared to the tiny Olympus M ZD 9-18mm F4-5.6, there's really little in it. The Panasonic offers more consistent sharpness across the frame at 9mm, but the Olympus is noticeably sharper in the central region at 14mm; and when used on an Olympus camera such as the E-P2 the Panasonic shows a little less lateral chromatic aberration"

If you don't mind the bulk, the older 4/3 version of the 9-18 has slightly better corners at wider apertures, but you'll need an adapter, AF is slower, and it takes 72mm filters ($$$). This is the version I have, purchased before the m4/3 version was available. I really do like this lens.

As for lenses to take on your trip,
For lightweight and convenience:
The 9-18 (or 7-14) paired with the Oly 14-150 would be a great two lens combo; although I would also take the 20mm for low light situations. This would be my choice.

For the highest image quality, and assuming you don't want to take a bunch of primes:
The 7-14mm, the Pana 12-35, and one of the tele-zooms from Oly or Pana would be my choice. I have the Pana 45-200 and it's quite decent if you stay under 125mm. It's too bad the Pana 35-100 isn't available yet.

You are bringing a backup body right?

Have a great trip.

Regards,
Santo

bensonga

I am going thru the same thought process right now too (for 6 days in Paris and a week long bicycle trip thru southern France in mid-September). I have an OMD, but haven't used it enough to be comfortable with the menus etc, so probably won't take it. That leaves me with the Panasonic GH-2. I'm trying to decide which of these four Panasonic lenses to take: 14-45, 14-140 HD, 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. I hadn't really thought about taking a backup body, but perhaps I should (a G1), although it means carrying extra batteries, charger etc.

I've been very happy with the 14-45 on my G1, but I haven't used the 14-140 HD lens very much. I (and perhaps the OP also) would appreciate thoughts of some one with experience with this lens. It's certainly a useful focal length range.

Gary

jlm

Workshop Member
it is a bit on the piggy side, but i have found the oly 75-300 to be an amazing lens. and i third the vote for the panny 12-35 f2.8. that leaves a hole, of course

Last edited:

sangio

Hi Gary,

A few years ago, the wife and I were on vacation in Crete. On the third day, at a small beach resort on the south coast, my only camera and lens jumped off a bar stool (long story), and expired. I was about to purchase a dozen disposal cameras at a kiosk on the beach when the owner mentioned he had a small digicam that the sales rep had left to see if there might be any interest. So, I purchased last years model at double the retail price back home, along with some SD cards since my camera used CF cards. IQ was nowhere close to my DSLR, but waaaay better than what the disposables would have produced. So now, I always take a backup.

Regards
Santo

Peter Klein

I've taken a couple of trips with my now-ancient Panny G1. I take the kit zoom (14-45mm, effective 28-90), plus the 20/1.7 and a 90mm Voigtlander 90/3.5 (effective 180mm). I focus the latter manually with the electronic magnifier. It's worked very well for me. I'm a normal lens guy by inclination, so the 20/1.7 gets the most use, it's kind of midway between the classic 50 and 35mm views on film.

It's been a good combo, and the whole outfit fits in a small bag.

So the suggestion of the Oly kit zoom, Panny 20/1.7 an Oly 75/1.8 on the OM-D is very similar. I think you'd have most of the bases covered.

Braeside

Just had a week away with my OM-D in England. I took the Pan 12-35/2.8 the Oly 45/1.8, the Pan 100-300 and the Oly 12-50 kit (for macro). I also had the X-Pro 1 with me (18 & 35mm).
I used the OM-D + 12-35 for 90% of the shots indoor and outdoor. I took a few indoor portraits with the 45/1.8, never used the 100-300 or the kit lens, and took a few shots with the X-Pro 1 and the iPhone. I prefer to use the X-Pro 1 when I know in advance what I will be shooting or have plenty of time to spend on my own. The OM-D with a zoom is better for the unknown and unexpected.

I found for walk-about the 12-35 was ideal for the sort of subjects I was taking. I needed nothing wider and only on a couple of occasions did I wish I had a longer lens - for example when I found a water vole a couple of yards away and didn't have the 100-300 in my bag.

Oh - take plenty of batteries. I had 3 - and always had the grip with extra battery on the OM-D.

Cheers

Last edited:

jonoslack

I'm off to Crete next week and have similar dilemmas.
I've changed my 100-300 for the Oly 75-300, and that'll definitely be coming along for wildlife etc. the 45 f1.8 and the 20 f1.7 because they're small and useful. the 9-18 for wide angle . . . I can't decide whether to take the 12-35 or the 12-50 kit.
One nice thing is that even bringing all of these lenses only fills a small bag . . . I remember going with a D2x, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and lugging all that lot around!

all the best

Paratom

I am just in the middle of a 2 week vacation trip in little mountains in east Germany. Besides taking some images at the veterans europeasn champiopnchip for athletics we do hiking, cycle tours and stuff like that. Also visiting cities. I brought the omd (and M9) and for the OMD:
20/1.7 for low light
12-35
12-50 (for bad conditions)
14-150 (for flexible small lens)
100-300 (for athletics)
9-18

So far I have mainly used the 12-35 all the time. Perfect for my taste.
Just in the stadium I used the 14-150 which was long enough so I didnt even carry the 100-300.
And I took some images with the 9.-18 when we went up on a "tight" mountain.
SO far I am very happy with the 12-35. I feel to maske no compromise in IQ, it is a very usefull range for my type of photography, size is still ok and f2.8 is quite nice. I dont see any application where I would prefer the kit 12-50 besides a sandy beach maybe.
The 100-300... I have to admit the for the last 3 months I did not have one image where the 14-150 would not have been long enough. Could be different if we went for birding.

Praising the 12-35 I have to mention that I also have the M9 with me with primes. <otherwise I might also have brought 1 or 2 primes for the OMD.

Have to admit that <i use the omd much more than I had planned before.

Paratom

I'm off to Crete next week and have similar dilemmas.
I've changed my 100-300 for the Oly 75-300, and that'll definitely be coming along for wildlife etc. the 45 f1.8 and the 20 f1.7 because they're small and useful. the 9-18 for wide angle . . . I can't decide whether to take the 12-35 or the 12-50 kit.
One nice thing is that even bringing all of these lenses only fills a small bag . . . I remember going with a D2x, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 and lugging all that lot around!

all the best
I would take the 12-35. Tom

bensonga

I ordered a 12-35 this morning. I have been a little reluctant to take an expensive bit of photo kit on this trip, because of the many stories I've heard re thievery, but I guess it's worth the risk. Not sure when (or if) I'll ever get back to France again.

Gary

jnewell

I'd bring just three zooms: 7-14, 14-140, 100-300 - perfect trio !

All the best.
Recently returned from 2 weeks in the UK - took those three plus the Oly 12-50 kit lens. The three mentioned worked excellently together, and the 12-50 made a useful damp weather/single lens walk-around lens.

pophoto

To the OP: I really don't see why your two pancakes can't be enough, unless the pan 14 quality isn't there!
If you did get the 12-35, the 20 1.7 can be you low light lens and fit in your pocket. I'd say keep it simple for travels, and there is plenty of range there. Just my opinion :)

bensonga

Po-Ming......the 12-35/2.8 and the 20/1.7 is what I'm planning to take now too. I might add the 14-140 for the extra reach, if I have space in the Lowepro Photo Runner.

etrigan63

Regarding the Panasonic 7-14 and filters: Fotodiox just announced their WonderPana Filter System and it lists the Panny 7-14 as compatible. Read all about it here.

Joe Blackwood

Regarding the Panasonic 7-14 and filters: Fotodiox just announced their WonderPana Filter System and it lists the Panny 7-14 as compatible. Read all about it here.
Carlos,

Thanks for the information on the Fotodiox Filter System, I was about to order an extra lens cap for my Panasonic 7-14mm to modify for use with filters.