The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 as Landscape System

J

JohnW

I've been shooting more landscapes recently with my GX1, having sold my full frame rig a couple years ago. I find m4/3 fine for street, but I'm starting to feel restless for a larger sensor again for landscape work.

I shoot mostly square and typically print to 12". The prints look OK, but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out on something.

Just wondering how others feel about this. Are you satisfied with your m4/3 system for this type of work? Appreciate your thoughts. An example below.

John

B

brian1208

I'm finding the EM5 + 9-18 or 45 f1.8 is fine for prints on fine-art papers and Gold Fibre Silk up to 18"x12".

Its also given some good results on panos (cropped not stitched) up to 36".

(By good I mean good enough to sell through my usual gallery / craft fair outlets)

the same rules apply as with FF images though (maybe more so) the exposure, contrast and sharpness have to be spot on if you are going large as it highlights any faults in the original file

So far, so good for me

Last edited:

biglouis

A m43rds camera would not be my first choice of camera. My first choice would be film and my personal choice would be MF film.

My opinion is that no digital sensor can really capture sky detail due to the propensity to blow highlights. Film hardly ever does that unless you really over expose it.

That said, I would be keen to see some landscape work with the D800. I've seen several opinions expressed that it is the ideal landscape camera unless you can afford to shell out four or five times the price on MF digital.

Just my two cents

Louis

Jeffg53

I have just bought into m4/3 for landscape. I bought the best lenses that I could find and am now coming to grips with this tiny computer that takes photos. I only print up to A2 so I'm expecting it to work well for that. I know that my H4D 40 produces better files that can be pushed harder but m4/3 is so appealing with its lightness and features on the OM D.

It's very early days yet, but the images are looking good. I will have to get used to not cropping to square though, 16 to 40MP is quite a lot.

Last edited:

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
John,
I have been using Lumix G1 for the last few years for landscape, but with a different approach. Almost all of my pictures are stitched, from 4 to up to 48 pictures and the biggest print that I made was 8 feet long with an unbelievable sharpness, but if you want to take only one shot I do not suggest bigger than 16x20.
By shooting m4/3 you have the advantage of using shorter focal length lenses which means more depth of field and in many cases that is really important like taking picture inside Antelope Canyon, which you can use 7mm lens instead of 28mm on medium format and also you have more chances of taking handheld pictures because of the weight and size of the equipment.
One important factor is the choices of lenses, for different effects with proper adapter you can almost use any type of lens from c mount to MF, excellent old lenses at cheap prices.
Lately I bought a Nikon D800E for landscape and I'm trying to put together some descent lenses, it's a difficult task and an expensive one.
I hope these informations help you.
Best,
_______
Manouch

Shashin

It is really personal. I have no problem printing m4/3 files to 16x20 or 20x24. But they do not compete with a larger format--my other camera is a Pentax 645D. The m4/3 is not bad, but does not have the same look and so it is entirely personal. At 12" print sizes, the cameras show their differences, but in very subtle ways (I doubt a viewer would know or care)--actually I have to down rez the the 645D files as my RIP does not do it very well.

Naturally a larger camera is nice if you are willing to carry it. If you are backpacking, m4/3 is certainly nice.

J

JohnW

Thanks, everyone. I think this might be a case of "grass is greener" mentality. I get those now and then and they tend to pass quickly. By and large I'm pretty happy with the GX1 for what I shoot and the way I print. And I really don't want to spring for another full frame system. Thanks again.

John