Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GH3... the one to get?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GH3... the one to get?

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Can I ask where you got the EUR1200 price from?

WEX in the UK are offering this camera at a whopping GBP1549 (approx EUR1930).

I'm sorry but at that price I would definitely think about turning in my lovely PanaLeica glass and going with the X-Pro 1 - despite what I previously wrote.

LouisB
    That is a brutal price, for M4/3 body, specially now that the 3:2 ratio is smaller than it used to be. I know it's only a little loss in pixels, but it's enough to make me reconsider using a small sensor that has just got smaller. Fuji is starting to look a little better, if they can just get their act together on the focus speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube
    No in-body I.S. and the sensor will not match the E-5M's. However, the body looks like it will take and not show more hits than the E-5M and there is the video aspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnewell View Post
    Buffer is reported to be 18 frames raw+jpeg (Imaging Resource) - haven't seen any indication of how fast it will write to the card and clear the buffer. In theory, and hopefully, a lot faster than the GH2 or even the G5/GX1.
    I'm going to guess based on the fact that they're still using USB 2.0 and say it'll be less than 10% faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Radcliffe View Post
    I like everything about the GH3... except for the one important omission I was hoping for.. Focus Peaking. For those using legacy glass this is very important.. especially if your Mark I Eyeball is over 50 years of age. Hope it can be added via firmware.. I can't understand how they left this out of the GH3.. it is important for video guys as well as still photographers.
    Yeah, that's a bit of a miss aye... But so far Vitaliy Kiselev either hasn't been able to hack this or hasn't been interested enough to try. (Probably the later). My hunch is that unless Panasonic implements it themselves in a future upgrade we won't be having it.

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    how much opinions differ .... for me the GH3 seems to be exactly the right size - finally after all that plastic small sized Panas and the still to small (for my hands) OMD.
    I'm with ya bro! Honestly tho, it's not just your hands... Most of the 4/3 cameras are too small for everyone's hands (unless they're like under five feet tall or something). I guess it's just that most people are willing to learn to deal with it because they think they're saving space or getting a lighter kit - and true or not that's more important to them than handling. At least that's my guess from following all the posts since the first 4/3 until now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    No in-body I.S. and the sensor will not match the E-5M's. However, the body looks like it will take and not show more hits than the E-5M and there is the video aspect.
    That remains to be seen as there is some speculation that because Panny could not develop a good enough sensor in time for the GH3 and Photokina they have used the same Sony sensor as in the OMD E-5 and as yet there have been no raw images for comparing.
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, what's all the net-saying about being able to beat the OM-D's IQ...? In the hundreds of images I've compared directly it's not all that much better than the GH2. Honestly. It's better enough to be mentionable - thus why everyone is mentioning it - but it wouldn't be an impossible task for Panasonic to leap-frog the OM-D now that they know what they need to do. Even given the same chip. And their brochure kinda reads like that's just what they've done - on several levels too.

Shrug... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that after seeing the Which review and getting an impression of the size of the GH-3 I am a bit disappointed.

The promise of m43rds is the smaller size and powerful, light lenses, like the 45/2.8 and the ridiculous but impressive 100-300.

If I really want a camera of the form factor of the GH-3 then I would go Nikon, or perhaps Pentax.

The impression I get is that the GH-3 is really aimed at videographers and not still photographers. Good luck to Panasonic, they really deserve to win that market because the video samples I've seen are really impressive.

But I've looked at the first high-iso samples and I would not describe the iso1600 as being anything better than my current GH-2.

Am I missing something?

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It looks like Pana might have made the AA filter stronger in the GH-3 (compared to the GH-2). That is a pity.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your conclusion about the target user is correct. I always liked the controls and other physical attributes of the GH2, but it had a lot of features that I would never use. It will be interesting to see how the sensor performance compares to the G5/GX1 and to the OM-D when actual production cameras are available.

I must say that after seeing the Which review and getting an impression of the size of the GH-3 I am a bit disappointed.

The promise of m43rds is the smaller size and powerful, light lenses, like the 45/2.8 and the ridiculous but impressive 100-300.

If I really want a camera of the form factor of the GH-3 then I would go Nikon, or perhaps Pentax.

The impression I get is that the GH-3 is really aimed at videographers and not still photographers. Good luck to Panasonic, they really deserve to win that market because the video samples I've seen are really impressive.

But I've looked at the first high-iso samples and I would not describe the iso1600 as being anything better than my current GH-2.

Am I missing something?

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

sure, but I do not want to have a hassle of changing focusing screens (to split prism and getting troubles w/ spot metering as a result) and constant PITA w/ off sensor PDAF adjustment... so you please go, we some how stay w/ GH3 and enjoy a normal camera body w/ a lot of proper controls for normal hands and fingers

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly! (Well, besides the "please go" bit...)

And add to that the shallow registration depth allowing us to mount everything under the Sun on our cameras! That to me was the only promise of mirrorless designs! Smaller and lighter was a sales point of some models and a potential which i think was realized by selecting certain components but not really a promise of any kind. 4/3 users are guaranteed (aka promised) only two things AFAIK: The 4/3 imaging area 17.3 mm 13.0 mm (21.6 mm diagonal), and the mount specs which include the 19.25 mm depth.

IMO it's mostly users who have assumed that 4/3 is all about smaller size and weight. To a large degree companies have catered to those demands... But I think it's refreshing and relieving to see Panasonic stand up to them and take this position with their flagship model! And that's the first bit of praise I've had for Plastisonic in a good while.

The GH2 was already exceptional at low ISO and trying to see the difference between it and the OM-D (everyone including me likes so much) requires microscopic measurement and/or machine-vision. The DR of the OM-D is more easily distinguished tho. The GH3 hasn't been released yet tho right? And AFAIK there are no RAW samples on-line either... right? So we don't know about the GH3's DR yet.

--
    PS: I just have to add that the Lumix 100-300 is one of the worst 100-300 lenses a person can buy. $100 models from almost all other makers beat it by my tests. Definitely a lens to avoid IMO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LouisB
    Now there a few more samples available on the web at high ISO. ISO6400 is just horrible.

Definitely not a camera for me!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post

PS: I just have to add that the Lumix 100-300 is one of the worst 100-300 lenses a person can buy. $100 models from almost all other makers beat it by my tests. Definitely a lens to avoid IMO.
    Well well, that's what I call a bold statement ...
    I'm sure there's a story to it ?

All the best.
    Bart ...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Now there a few more samples available on the web at high ISO. ISO6400 is just horrible.

Definitely not a camera for me!
    Where are the ISO 6400 samples?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was wrong. It is only ISO2500. The art filter effect is a bit too much for me.

http://www.popphoto.com/files/_image...t_original.jpg

from here: http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/samp...ix-gh3?image=9

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I was wrong. It is only ISO2500. The art filter effect is a bit too much for me.

http://www.popphoto.com/files/_image...t_original.jpg

from here: Sample Image Gallery: Panasonic Lumix GH3 | Popular Photography
    That's a photo from the launch video. Must have been taken with an early version of a pre-release firmware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm with ya bro! Honestly tho, it's not just your hands... Most of the 4/3 cameras are too small for everyone's hands (unless they're like under five feet tall or something). I guess it's just that most people are willing to learn to deal with it because they think they're saving space or getting a lighter kit - and true or not that's more important to them than handling. At least that's my guess from following all the posts since the first 4/3 until now...
    I'm 6'-2" with pretty decent sized hands and the OM-D is just fine for me. I don't want a bigger camera. I have some FF stuff were I'll accept the size because that's all that is available, but the Olympus is just fine for me. I really like the handling, except for the rear screen which isn't nearly as handy as Panasonic's.

I think for still photographers the OM-D will still be the camera of choice in m43, because it's decently responsive, customizable to a very high degree and with good image quality. The multi-aspect thing doesn't really matter to me as I have been used to shooting for commercial projects for decades where the final crop and aspect rations aren't decided until well after the shoot. So I lose some pixels. There are enough left, as long as I have decent glass.

The GH3 is clearly aimed more at videographers, and for my purposes I really can't see much benefit over the GH2 other than weather sealing, and the size puts me off.

Henning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PS: I just have to add that the Lumix 100-300 is one of the worst 100-300 lenses a person can buy. $100 models from almost all other makers beat it by my tests. Definitely a lens to avoid IMO.[/SIZE]
    Well, I have found some lenses that are better as well. For example, the Leica 280/4 Apo-Telyt, and the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt. But generally, it's quite serviceable. I think you'll just have to stop beating your dog with that lens, because without abuse like that it's quite decent.

That was meant as a joke - no offence intended...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe,

How come everyone always wants to defend that Lumix 100-300?
    Maybe just cuz it's the only 100-300 with AF for 4/3?

It's only "decent" from 100 to about 180 or so... After that it takes a total dump. I'll put a $50 tokina from the 80's up against it any day blow it outta the water.

"Lens Wars", the sequel - coming to a theater near you!. hehe.
    Last edited by Tesselator; 30th September 2012 at 07:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very interesting interview with some Panasonic executives about the GH3 here:

Q&A with Panasonic: The story behind the new video-centric GH3 and other compact system camera tech advances - Imaging Resource

Apparently, the lack of focus peaking is due to software development capacity at Panasonic. The realize that 80-90% of users want it. My guess is that it will be available with a firmware update, possibly even before the camera is available. My dealer in Bangkok has told me December or maybe even January, so they have time to work on this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

WEX aren't usually a rip-off. But they do make mistakes. I suspect that's the price with tha 14-140 kit lens in error.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    WEX aren't usually a rip-off. But they do make mistakes. I suspect that's the price with tha 14-140 kit lens in error.
    I actually use WEX a lot (probably too much!) so I know they are price competitive but if you think the body price is high, check out the prices for the body plus lens combinations. I sincerely hope the prices are a mistake.

LouisB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Louis. I see what you mean!
    I might give them a call (bollocking) tomorrow. Still, I'd rather have an OMD anyway.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was a bit down on this camera given some of the early examples of high iso work but I must say the review at CNET UK (posted via 43rumours) has set me thinking again. As one of my main interests is backyard birding the samples are better than I am getting out of my GH-2, so maybe there really has been improvements to noise in this version.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I'm still reading it but I thought I would "help them out" so I made a few changes to their first page of the write-up:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I was a bit down on this camera given some of the early examples of high iso work but I must say the review at CNET UK (posted via 43rumours) has set me thinking again. As one of my main interests is backyard birding the samples are better than I am getting out of my GH-2, so maybe there really has been improvements to noise in this version.

LouisB
    Has it has the same Sony sensor has the OMD I would expect high ISO shots to be good.
    Regards Paul. One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    My Photo Galleries
    My Flickr Photostream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craftysnapper View Post
    Has it has the same Sony sensor has the OMD I would expect high ISO shots to be good.
    Except the sensor is not from Sony... imagine a joint press conference of Sony and Olympus after Sony invested money to get a share of Olympus' medical imaging business... they also used that opportunity to tout how Olympus will be using Sony sensors... what a good avenue to tell us about Sony Semiconductor' sensors in Olympus cameras and they did... except it was not the EM5 ... but =

never ever EM5 was mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case you haven't seen this, here is a YouTube video about Ira Block getting large prints from the GH3:

Big Prints from LUMIX GH3, featuring Ira Block - YouTube

Pretty interesting...

Jim