Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 77

Thread: GH3... the one to get?

  1. #1
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    GH3... the one to get?

    For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

    Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    I would not start selling anything so far, although this camera could be real good as alternative if not more than 16MP are required.

    I only can reiterate, the GH3 should have come with 24MP ....

    Then it would mean selling other gear also for me

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    The video-clip for sure is very impressive.
    I'd like to see how the EM5 holds up against this GH3.

    But hey - did you guys see that grip ? Awesome !

    Thanks for the link, Jorgen.
    All the best.
    Bart ...

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I would not start selling anything so far, although this camera could be real good as alternative if not more than 16MP are required.

    I only can reiterate, the GH3 should have come with 24MP ....

    Then it would mean selling other gear also for me
    My Nikon cameras are 12MP and the Fuji S3 is 6/12MP. I'll keep some lenses for the F6 and in case I buy a D600 later, but for my day-to-day, bread-and-butter, travel etc. etc. and when I don't want to haul the GX680 around, this is the camera I'll use, mostly with the Panasonic 7-14, PanaLeica 14-54, Sigma 50/1.4 and Zeiss CY 85/1.4, all lenses that I already own. And I have the GH1 as backup.

    I'll sell 3 kilograms of bodies getting some 4-700 grams back. Nothing to wait for. I've been waiting for this camera since I started to realise that the GH1 was the camera I liked the most to use.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    FWIW, I totally stopped using my D300 after getting in to mirrorless (G1). After the GH-2, the fate was sealed w.r.t. DSLRs.

    I like what they have done with the battery grip. Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

    I am unlikely get one. Sony is simply going the extra mile with APS-C and now with FF sensors.

  6. #6
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I'll sell 3 kilograms of bodies getting some 4-700 grams back. Nothing to wait for. I've been waiting for this camera since I started to realise that the GH1 was the camera I liked the most to use.
    I hope to go the same way but selling Sony A900, Sony A77 and A700 with a bunch of heavy telephoto and shorter lenses including very heavy Zeiss lenses, but using my newly purchased OMD and 12-50 , Panny 100-300 and many more to come. Possibly the GH3 as a back up body!

    I am particularly interested in some of the Panny/Leica lenses at the moment. I have to keep my cred. up with the Leica Fellowship crowd!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  7. #7
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I hope to go the same way but selling Sony A900, Sony A77 and A700 with a bunch of heavy telephoto and shorter lenses including very heavy Zeiss lenses, but using my newly purchased OMD and 12-50 , Panny 100-300 and many more to come. Possibly the GH3 as a back up body!

    I am particularly interested in some of the Panny/Leica lenses at the moment. I have to keep my cred. up with the Leica Fellowship crowd!
    Dave,

    why not going with the A99, when you liked Sony and their colors and handling so much?

    Just curious ....

    Peter

  8. #8
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    >Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

    THat is a main question here. Video will be likely very good even without hacking.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Dave,
    why not going with the A99, when you liked Sony and their colors and handling so much?

    Just curious ....
    Peter
    Peter, in a word weight! Carrying two bulky bodies with their respective lenses can be a bit tiresome when one is "over the hill" a bit! It's early days yet before I take that decision, meanwhile the OMD sports a Sony sensor and I am pleased with the IQ and colours so far, but I need to try out a few more lenses!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

    THat is a main question here. Video will be likely very good even without hacking.
    I don't worry about the still quality. The GH1 was already good enough for stock photography, which is one of my sources of income. The GH3 can only be better. The main purpose with the GH3 for me is excellent video quality, better build quality and handling and better AF, hopefully also with the fantastic PanaLeica 14-50mm.

  11. #11
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

    Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube
    You and me both! I've kept faith with Panasonic despite the temptation to get an OMD. I have, however, come up to the limits of the GH-2 so the GH-3 must improve on camera noise at 1600iso and above.

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    I am particularly interested in some of the Panny/Leica lenses at the moment. I have to keep my cred. up with the Leica Fellowship crowd!
    Dave, the best recommendation I can give is that in the summer I decided to sell all my Leica and Panasonic gear. I had in mind going to only one system - probably the X-Pro 1. Problem was, that I discovered I was more attached to my PanaLeica 45/2.8 and the wonderful summicron-like 20/1.7 than I was to my Leica M8 and M lenses. So I sold that instead and kept the Panasonic gear. The 45/2.8 and to a lesser extent the 25/1.4 are more than good enough for the Leica label even if they do not have the snob value of being thousands of pounds to purchase.

    LouisB

  12. #12
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimmonds View Post
    Peter, in a word weight! Carrying two bulky bodies with their respective lenses can be a bit tiresome when one is "over the hill" a bit! It's early days yet before I take that decision, meanwhile the OMD sports a Sony sensor and I am pleased with the IQ and colours so far, but I need to try out a few more lenses!
    Dave,

    I think you will be fine with that decision!

    I love my OMD although I did never really like the GH2. But I have high hopes for the GH3 although as I already mention would have loved to see a higher resolution sensor.

  13. #13
    Senior Member RichA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

    Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube
    Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.

  14. #14
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
    But even if it were, there are (unfortunately?) reasons to keep a conventional DSLR in the mix, depending on what you shoot. Admittedly, I don't feel crippled by the differences, but continuous autofocus on my D700 and D300 are infinitely better than continuous autofocus on either my OM-D or my GX-1. Over the past eight or ten years, I've been taking a lot of sports/action pics...I'm surprised at how well SAF on the two m4/3 bodies works, but CAF on the Nikons works better (and there are better long lenses for the F mount). I'm not saying I don't totally love the m4/3 gear, but I wouldn't sell the Nikon gear to finance more m4/3 gear, either...but YMMV.

  15. #15
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
    Why? Not trolling but as improved high iso performance is of interest to me what is the basis for your belief that the E-5M sensor will be better?

    LouisB

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    For those making video, here's a little "taster" for the capabilities of the GH3, shot with an assortment of m4/3 and 4/3 lenses:

    https://vimeo.com/49420579

    and Philip Bloom's pre-release comments:

    New short film “Genesis” shot on pre-production new “G” camera from Panasonic…more on Monday! | Philip Bloom

  17. #17
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Dave, the best recommendation I can give is that in the summer I decided to sell all my Leica and Panasonic gear. I had in mind going to only one system - probably the X-Pro 1. Problem was, that I discovered I was more attached to my PanaLeica 45/2.8 and the wonderful summicron-like 20/1.7 than I was to my Leica M8 and M lenses. So I sold that instead and kept the Panasonic gear. The 45/2.8 and to a lesser extent the 25/1.4 are more than good enough for the Leica label even if they do not have the snob value of being thousands of pounds to purchase.

    LouisB
    Thanks Louis

    Coming from you that means a lot to me. The LF people are a great set of people but I do like to enter their competitions and I am running out of DMR pictures!

    The rules state that all comp. images must be taken with a Leica camera or Leica lens. Panasonic Leica's are accepted just as they are over at the LUF.

    We meet every 6 months usually in UK, venues by rotation, ie East,West. North and South. We have just returned from a glorious long week-end at Beaumaris on Anglesey (West location) and next spring meeting will be held at Harrogate (North) followed by Dover (East) in the autumn of 2013.

    Spouses are also invited and many stay a few extra days or a week as we enjoy special rates at the hotels that we use. Photographic trips out are organised with talks usually by a well known photographer. Last year we had Charlie Wate for instance and we frequently have a known local pro photographer accompany us on our trips. Although an International group the origins and operations are managed from the UK. We have members in New Zealand, several from the USA, Germany and Holland, Erwin Puts joined us for the last meeting.

    Interested? If so drop me a PM and I will post further details.

    Janet and I have found it a great way to see parts of the UK that we might otherwise have never visited, mixing with like minded people whilst having a lot of fun!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  18. #18
    nickthetasmaniac
    Guest

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I only can reiterate, the GH3 should have come with 24MP ....
    Why? I think Sony has shown that with sensor tech as it is 24mp is pushing it even on APS, let alone trying to cram it onto an MFT chip... As long as there's notable improvement with noise, dr and so on, I'm stoked Panasonic decided to leave it at 16mp...

    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
    Once again, why? The GH2 sensor isn't far off the OMD and it's 18 months older... We can only expect that the GH3 will be an improvement.

    Anyway, as a GH2 owner I'm interested but not yet convinced. I'll be waiting for image samples with interest. Also keen so see the kit price with a 12-35mm.

  19. #19
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
    Why? I think Sony has shown that with sensor tech as it is 24mp is pushing it even on APS, let alone trying to cram it onto an MFT chip... As long as there's notable improvement with noise, dr and so on, I'm stoked Panasonic decided to leave it at 16mp...
    Then you should take the sensor of the Sony RX100 into account. Extrapolated to 43 or m43 this would mean around 40MP with superb high ISO performance and DR. SO if I am asking to do just similar with 24MP on m43 that should tell you where I want them to go. But I think Pana sensor design skills are still far away from Sony's skills and this is why we "only" see the 16MP.

    Maybe we need to wait what Oly will be doing in their Pro camera with a Sony sensor .....

    But just to put this into the right light - if the 16MP Pana GH3 has great DR and great IQ, that already will be a huge achievement if the body is really as rock solid as it looks like in all the leaked images and videos.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

    Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube

    The link seems to have been pulled. Is this the same one? Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube


    Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up.




    - - - - - -
    BTW, the GH2 and the OMD sensors are so close it frigging hurts. There's nearly no difference as it is now. So the GH3 sensor would only need to be just a very little bit better than the GH2 in order match the OMD. Now, in-camera jpeg rendering is another question....

  21. #21
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    And a PC Socket! Sweeeeet!


    http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/...um133819-1.png


    This is kinda interesting too. I guess relevant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1bk3iZ8ZsA
    Last edited by Tesselator; 16th September 2012 at 13:12.

  22. #22
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    The link seems to have been pulled. Is this the same one? Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube


    Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up.




    - - - - - -
    BTW, the GH2 and the OMD sensors are so close it frigging hurts. There's nearly no difference as it is now. So the GH3 sensor would only need to be just a very little bit better than the GH2 in order match the OMD. Now, in-camera jpeg rendering is another question....
    Yes, that's the video. It's also up on Vimeo now:

    https://vimeo.com/49437111

    I don't think anybody can challenge them on the "first EVIL camera" thing. The G1 really was the first, wasn't it?

  23. #23
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Really? I thought Oly was way first on that?


    Oh well, guess not... :P

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up.
    Well, I had a digital camera a decade before the G1 that had only a single lens and no mirrors, and if you really want that to be interchangeable lenses, the Epson RD-1 seems to fit the bill.

    They did some things first, but that wasn't it.

    As for the GH3, I'll wait. I don't want larger and I don't always want more buttons, but if it is amazing, I'll look at it again.

    Meanwhile, the OM-D and the GH2 seem like a decent pairing. I'm also waiting to see what that other Digital Single Lens Mirrorless, the Leica M10 will be like.

    Henning

  25. #25
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    Well, I had a digital camera a decade before the G1 that had only a single lens and no mirrors, and if you really want that to be interchangeable lenses, the Epson RD-1 seems to fit the bill.

    They did some things first, but that wasn't it.

    As for the GH3, I'll wait. I don't want larger and I don't always want more buttons, but if it is amazing, I'll look at it again.

    Meanwhile, the OM-D and the GH2 seem like a decent pairing. I'm also waiting to see what that other Digital Single Lens Mirrorless, the Leica M10 will be like.

    Henning
    Panasonic can always claim that there's a lens in the viewfinder of a rangefinder camera.

    As for buttons, the more the merrier, at least for me. The GH3 starts to resemble a Pentax K5 for button count. 5 Fn buttons is quite a feat for such a small camera. Sizewise, the Panasonic is slightly smaller than the Pentax and 200g lighter. So it boils down to what kind of viewfinder one prefers, what lenses are in the dry cabinet already and if the video functionality of the GH3 is more important than the (the presumably better for sports photography) phase detect AF of the Pentax. Oh... and the articulated LCD

    The real alternative for me would be the A99 which brings full frame into the equation, but although the body isn't very heavy, the Zeiss lenses are, and they're expensive too, as is the body.

  26. #26
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    The real alternative for me would be the A99 which brings full frame into the equation, but although the body isn't very heavy, the Zeiss lenses are, and they're expensive too, as is the body.
    I would consider the Canon 6D. The body is inexpensive for a FF camera and you can use all your F mount lenses via adapters.

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Really? I thought Oly was way first on that?


    Oh well, guess not... :P
    It was the G1 which is the first EVIL camera.

    The EP1 is an IL and did not really blend. After many long years, even Olympus gave up on that for their top of the line cam which still lacks the flexibility (swivel LCD) of a G1 or the latest GH-3.

  28. #28
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I would consider the Canon 6D. The body is inexpensive for a FF camera and you can use all your F mount lenses via adapters.
    The 6D looks nice but can't replace the Panasonic for me since there's no EVF. It is of course an alternative to the D600, but I lose AF on the Nikkors and I'm keeping the F6... I think.

    I won't buy FF digital for many months yet, so I have time to consider. Could of course use the Contax RX for film and get rid of the F6. Hmmmm....

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Here it is: Panasonic Lumix DMC GH3

    Looking good ...
    Bart ...

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    dpreview has gone beserk and can't even cut and paste the specs properly (the one thing they used well) . The camera is far more capable than what dpreview lists.

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    dpreview has gone beserk and can't even cut and paste the specs properly (the one thing they used well) . The camera is far more capable than what dpreview lists.
    There seems to be full confusion around a few specs, among other things, if the sensor is oversized for multiple aspect ratios or not. In the text, dpr claims that it is, but the tech specs both at their website and at Panasonic's indicates no such feature. It would seem strange not to include it, since it's a popular feature, but who knows

  32. #32
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    There seems to be full confusion around a few specs, among other things, if the sensor is oversized for multiple aspect ratios or not. In the text, dpr claims that it is, but the tech specs both at their website and at Panasonic's indicates no such feature. It would seem strange not to include it, since it's a popular feature, but who knows
    If you look onto their website it shows that the sensor can do multiple aspect ratios. Also the EVF can display 16:9.

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    DMC-GH3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

    Inheriting the Leica Philosophy ?


    All the best.
    Last edited by Knorp; 28th October 2013 at 12:51.
    Bart ...

  34. #34
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    If you look onto their website it shows that the sensor can do multiple aspect ratios. Also the EVF can display 16:9.
    Most mirrorless cameras can do that, but what was special with the GH1/2 was that the 16 : 9 and 3 : 2 aspect ratios had more pixels, longest side, so that they were still 16MP (12MP for the GH1).

    Here's the data from the Panasonic homepage for the GH3:

    [4:3] 4,608 x 3,456 (L), 3,264 x 2,448 (M), 2,336 x 1,752 (S), 1,824 x 1,368 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
    [3:2] 4,608 x 3,072 (L), 3,264 x 2,176 (M), 2,336 x 1,560 (S), 1,824 x 1,216 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
    [16:9] 4,608 x 2,592 (L), 3,264 x 1,840 (M), 1,920 x 1,080 (S), 1,824 x 1,024 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
    [1:1] 3,456 x 3,456 (L), 2,448 x 2,448 (M), 1,744 x 1,744 (S), 1,712 x 1,712 (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)

    Ah... dpr seems to have removed the paragraph about the multiaspect sensor now.

  35. #35
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    DMC-GH3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

    Inheriting the Leica Philosophy ?


    All the best.
    Well, if Leica will not speed up PLUS also change their mind, they will become the real expensive solution for snobs and insanely rich people buying this just because one needs to have a product from Leica.

    I hope the best for them ....
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #36
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    The body looks just about perfect IMHO! They've molded it in every way I would have had I the ability; so size and shape are looking right!

    The continuous speed is severely lacking tho! What, only 6fps? Not 12 or 20? I usually tell myself 8fps is the lower limit for usability - although so much depends on the buffer size. If that's 6fps with only 15 or less RAW frames then I'm like WTF?!?!? but if it's around 30 or so that could be useful. Of course all that said it actually says 20FPS on page two ( http://www.dpreview.com/previews/pan...umix-dmc-gh3/2 )... so ummm, which is it I wonder? Maybe that 20fps is like the GH2's 40fps?

    I'm glad they kept it at 16mp - which I think is already edging toward too much. Just my opinion - and based on diffraction limitations and file-size.

    The three buttons across the top behind the shutter release look ill-placed but I guess the proof will be in the use of the thing.

    Sore points, surprises, and stupidness IMO:
    Still no IBIS,
    Still limited to 1/4000s
    Still a 128s limit on bulb (no matter what)
    X is still too low at 1/160s.
    USB 2.0 - Not 3.0? Really?
    EC is still 5 EV and not 7

    The weather sealing, increased body size, the now adequate video recording rate, and the built-in intervalometer are all welcome additions tho!

    I wonder if and by how much the DR will be improved?
    Last edited by Tesselator; 18th September 2012 at 06:54.

  37. #37
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Don't tell me your sashimi is moving so fast you need more than 6fps to capture it
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #38
    Senior Member hot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    GH3 € 1200 - G3 € 388

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Don't tell me your sashimi is moving so fast you need more than 6fps to capture it
    No, but for BIFs 8fps is really needed. Not to mention creative high-res stop-motion effects. 8FPS with live AF (or ≥12fps with no AF) is really useful! Even for street photography - bursts of 5 to 7 frames at 12 to 15 FPS can catch moments single shots can't. Pick the postures and expressions you like and toss the other 6. And then of course there's sports and kid photography which is really leveled up by a fast continuous drive! I think most 4/3 shooters are doing mostly still-life mostly because current models (besides the OM-D) can't cope. No?



    - - -- -- - -- - --- ---- -- - -
    Another thing on the plus-side of the GH3 is the optional grip and plate connections! DPR reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by DPR
    The camera's tripod socket is aligned with the center of the lens mount, positioned far enough from the handgrip to allow for a battery change when the GH3 is attached to a tripod plate.

    The electronic connectors (shown here with cover removed) are for communication the GH3's optional vertical grip.
    Pretty nice aye!?!

  40. #40
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    Another thing on the plus-side of the GH3 is the optional grip and plate connections! DPR reads:


    Pretty nice aye!?!
    Yep, one of the most annoying sides of the GH1/2 finally corrected

  41. #41
    Senior Member Tesselator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Most mirrorless cameras can do that, but what was special with the GH1/2 was that the 16 : 9 and 3 : 2 aspect ratios had more pixels, longest side, so that they were still 16MP (12MP for the GH1).
    I could be wrong but I don't think so. Unless there's something I'm missing. I thought so too (without ever checking) until I got the GH2 and noticed the menus:



    GH2 Aspect Ratio Settings - Notice the MP number.
    It says the same thing for RAW too.



    So they might have been bigger-ish... but I guess not the full MP rating? I think it was more about the image circle and keeping the frame corners on the perimeters of it?

  42. #42
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    So they might have been bigger-ish... but I guess not the full MP rating? I think it was more about the image circle and keeping the frame corners on the perimeters of it?
    The GH1/GH2 sensors were never using the whole sensor. The different formats were using the longest diagonal possible with the lens coverage.

    At the maximum file size, the longest side of the 16:9 format was longer than the longest side of the 3:2 format, which itself was longer than the 4:3 format.

    So the 16:9 and 3:2 weren't only crops of the 4:3. The difference was less important for the 3:2 format, but quite important on the 16:9 format.

  43. #43
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    I am also interested in buffer size and write speeds/buffer clear rate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
    The body looks just about perfect IMHO! They've molded it in every way I would have had I the ability; so size and shape are looking right!

    The continuous speed is severely lacking tho! What, only 6fps? Not 12 or 20? I usually tell myself 8fps is the lower limit for usability - although so much depends on the buffer size. If that's 6fps with only 15 or less RAW frames then I'm like WTF?!?!? but if it's around 30 or so that could be useful. Of course all that said it actually says 20FPS on page two ( Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review )... so ummm, which is it I wonder? Maybe that 20fps is like the GH2's 40fps?

    I'm glad they kept it at 16mp - which I think is already edging toward too much. Just my opinion - and based on diffraction limitations and file-size.

    The three buttons across the top behind the shutter release look ill-placed but I guess the proof will be in the use of the thing.

    Sore points, surprises, and stupidness IMO:
    Still no IBIS,
    Still limited to 1/4000s
    Still a 128s limit on bulb (no matter what)
    X is still too low at 1/160s.
    USB 2.0 - Not 3.0? Really?
    EC is still 5 EV and not 7

    The weather sealing, increased body size, the now adequate video recording rate, and the built-in intervalometer are all welcome additions tho!

    I wonder if and by how much the DR will be improved?

  44. #44
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    GH3 1200 - G3 388

    Can I ask where you got the EUR1200 price from?

    WEX in the UK are offering this camera at a whopping GBP1549 (approx EUR1930).

    I'm sorry but at that price I would definitely think about turning in my lovely PanaLeica glass and going with the X-Pro 1 - despite what I previously wrote.

    LouisB

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,595
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Those (wex) appear to be a ripoff.

    Example: Digicamabholshop - Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Gehuse schwarz

    (Nothing in NL show any listing)

  46. #46
    Senior Member dhsimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Can I ask where you got the EUR1200 price from?

    WEX in the UK are offering this camera at a whopping GBP1549 (approx EUR1930).

    I'm sorry but at that price I would definitely think about turning in my lovely PanaLeica glass and going with the X-Pro 1 - despite what I previously wrote.
    LouisB
    Louis, you would be better advised to get the Olympus OM-D now coming down nicely in price......you already have the glass to fit! I think that you might be disappointed in the XP1. The IQ of the XP1 is great but ergonomically the m4/3 is superior in focusing speed and general handling.

    The GH3 has a nice spec. but the size would put me off, regrettably.
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com

  47. #47
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    how much opinions differ .... for me the GH3 seems to be exactly the right size - finally after all that plastic small sized Panas and the still to small (for my hands) OMD.
    Last edited by ptomsu; 18th September 2012 at 12:09.

  48. #48
    Senior Member Jim Radcliffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    I like everything about the GH3... except for the one important omission I was hoping for.. Focus Peaking. For those using legacy glass this is very important.. especially if your Mark I Eyeball is over 50 years of age. Hope it can be added via firmware.. I can't understand how they left this out of the GH3.. it is important for video guys as well as still photographers.
    Jim Radcliffe
    www.boxedlight.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Coastal Connecticut USA
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    I'm wondering if Shoot Without Lens is an option for legacy lens use and if Olympus-branded flash units are compatible.
    ______________
    Robert

  50. #50
    Member jnewell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: GH3... the one to get?

    Buffer is reported to be 18 frames raw+jpeg (Imaging Resource) - haven't seen any indication of how fast it will write to the card and clear the buffer. In theory, and hopefully, a lot faster than the GH2 or even the G5/GX1.
    Last edited by jnewell; 18th September 2012 at 17:56.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •