The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GH3... the one to get?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I would not start selling anything so far, although this camera could be real good as alternative if not more than 16MP are required.

I only can reiterate, the GH3 should have come with 24MP ....

Then it would mean selling other gear also for me

Knorp

The video-clip for sure is very impressive.
I'd like to see how the EM5 holds up against this GH3.

But hey - did you guys see that grip ? Awesome !

Thanks for the link, Jorgen.
All the best.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would not start selling anything so far, although this camera could be real good as alternative if not more than 16MP are required.

Then it would mean selling other gear also for me
My Nikon cameras are 12MP and the Fuji S3 is 6/12MP. I'll keep some lenses for the F6 and in case I buy a D600 later, but for my day-to-day, bread-and-butter, travel etc. etc. and when I don't want to haul the GX680 around, this is the camera I'll use, mostly with the Panasonic 7-14, PanaLeica 14-54, Sigma 50/1.4 and Zeiss CY 85/1.4, all lenses that I already own. And I have the GH1 as backup.

I'll sell 3 kilograms of bodies getting some 4-700 grams back. Nothing to wait for. I've been waiting for this camera since I started to realise that the GH1 was the camera I liked the most to use.

V

Vivek

FWIW, I totally stopped using my D300 after getting in to mirrorless (G1). After the GH-2, the fate was sealed w.r.t. DSLRs.

I like what they have done with the battery grip. Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

I am unlikely get one. Sony is simply going the extra mile with APS-C and now with FF sensors.

dhsimmonds

I'll sell 3 kilograms of bodies getting some 4-700 grams back. Nothing to wait for. I've been waiting for this camera since I started to realise that the GH1 was the camera I liked the most to use.
I hope to go the same way but selling Sony A900, Sony A77 and A700 with a bunch of heavy telephoto and shorter lenses including very heavy Zeiss lenses, but using my newly purchased OMD and 12-50 , Panny 100-300 and many more to come. Possibly the GH3 as a back up body!

I am particularly interested in some of the Panny/Leica lenses at the moment. I have to keep my cred. up with the Leica Fellowship crowd!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I hope to go the same way but selling Sony A900, Sony A77 and A700 with a bunch of heavy telephoto and shorter lenses including very heavy Zeiss lenses, but using my newly purchased OMD and 12-50 , Panny 100-300 and many more to come. Possibly the GH3 as a back up body!

I am particularly interested in some of the Panny/Leica lenses at the moment. I have to keep my cred. up with the Leica Fellowship crowd!
Dave,

why not going with the A99, when you liked Sony and their colors and handling so much?

Just curious ....

Peter

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

THat is a main question here. Video will be likely very good even without hacking.

dhsimmonds

Dave,
why not going with the A99, when you liked Sony and their colors and handling so much?

Just curious ....
Peter
Peter, in a word weight! Carrying two bulky bodies with their respective lenses can be a bit tiresome when one is "over the hill" a bit! It's early days yet before I take that decision, meanwhile the OMD sports a Sony sensor and I am pleased with the IQ and colours so far, but I need to try out a few more lenses!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
>Would love to see how much better the 3 is vs 2 (still image quality).

THat is a main question here. Video will be likely very good even without hacking.
I don't worry about the still quality. The GH1 was already good enough for stock photography, which is one of my sources of income. The GH3 can only be better. The main purpose with the GH3 for me is excellent video quality, better build quality and handling and better AF, hopefully also with the fantastic PanaLeica 14-50mm.

biglouis

For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube
You and me both! I've kept faith with Panasonic despite the temptation to get an OMD. I have, however, come up to the limits of the GH-2 so the GH-3 must improve on camera noise at 1600iso and above.

Dave, the best recommendation I can give is that in the summer I decided to sell all my Leica and Panasonic gear. I had in mind going to only one system - probably the X-Pro 1. Problem was, that I discovered I was more attached to my PanaLeica 45/2.8 and the wonderful summicron-like 20/1.7 than I was to my Leica M8 and M lenses. So I sold that instead and kept the Panasonic gear. The 45/2.8 and to a lesser extent the 25/1.4 are more than good enough for the Leica label even if they do not have the snob value of being thousands of pounds to purchase.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, in a word weight! Carrying two bulky bodies with their respective lenses can be a bit tiresome when one is "over the hill" a bit! It's early days yet before I take that decision, meanwhile the OMD sports a Sony sensor and I am pleased with the IQ and colours so far, but I need to try out a few more lenses!
Dave,

I think you will be fine with that decision!

I love my OMD although I did never really like the GH2. But I have high hopes for the GH3 although as I already mention would have loved to see a higher resolution sensor.

jnewell

Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
But even if it were, there are (unfortunately?) reasons to keep a conventional DSLR in the mix, depending on what you shoot. Admittedly, I don't feel crippled by the differences, but continuous autofocus on my D700 and D300 are infinitely better than continuous autofocus on either my OM-D or my GX-1. Over the past eight or ten years, I've been taking a lot of sports/action pics...I'm surprised at how well SAF on the two m4/3 bodies works, but CAF on the Nikons works better (and there are better long lenses for the F mount). I'm not saying I don't totally love the m4/3 gear, but I wouldn't sell the Nikon gear to finance more m4/3 gear, either...but YMMV.

biglouis

Its sensor is unlikely to be as good as the new Olympus E-5M sensor even if it's a step-up from the GH2 sensor.
Why? Not trolling but as improved high iso performance is of interest to me what is the basis for your belief that the E-5M sensor will be better?

LouisB

dhsimmonds

Dave, the best recommendation I can give is that in the summer I decided to sell all my Leica and Panasonic gear. I had in mind going to only one system - probably the X-Pro 1. Problem was, that I discovered I was more attached to my PanaLeica 45/2.8 and the wonderful summicron-like 20/1.7 than I was to my Leica M8 and M lenses. So I sold that instead and kept the Panasonic gear. The 45/2.8 and to a lesser extent the 25/1.4 are more than good enough for the Leica label even if they do not have the snob value of being thousands of pounds to purchase.

LouisB
Thanks Louis

Coming from you that means a lot to me. The LF people are a great set of people but I do like to enter their competitions and I am running out of DMR pictures! :confused:

The rules state that all comp. images must be taken with a Leica camera or Leica lens. Panasonic Leica's are accepted just as they are over at the LUF.

We meet every 6 months usually in UK, venues by rotation, ie East,West. North and South. We have just returned from a glorious long week-end at Beaumaris on Anglesey (West location) and next spring meeting will be held at Harrogate (North) followed by Dover (East) in the autumn of 2013.

Spouses are also invited and many stay a few extra days or a week as we enjoy special rates at the hotels that we use. Photographic trips out are organised with talks usually by a well known photographer. Last year we had Charlie Wate for instance and we frequently have a known local pro photographer accompany us on our trips. Although an International group the origins and operations are managed from the UK. We have members in New Zealand, several from the USA, Germany and Holland, Erwin Puts joined us for the last meeting.

Interested? If so drop me a PM and I will post further details.

Janet and I have found it a great way to see parts of the UK that we might otherwise have never visited, mixing with like minded people whilst having a lot of fun! :D

N

nickthetasmaniac

Why? I think Sony has shown that with sensor tech as it is 24mp is pushing it even on APS, let alone trying to cram it onto an MFT chip... As long as there's notable improvement with noise, dr and so on, I'm stoked Panasonic decided to leave it at 16mp...

Once again, why? The GH2 sensor isn't far off the OMD and it's 18 months older... We can only expect that the GH3 will be an improvement.

Anyway, as a GH2 owner I'm interested but not yet convinced. I'll be waiting for image samples with interest. Also keen so see the kit price with a 12-35mm.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Why? I think Sony has shown that with sensor tech as it is 24mp is pushing it even on APS, let alone trying to cram it onto an MFT chip... As long as there's notable improvement with noise, dr and so on, I'm stoked Panasonic decided to leave it at 16mp...
Then you should take the sensor of the Sony RX100 into account. Extrapolated to 43 or m43 this would mean around 40MP with superb high ISO performance and DR. SO if I am asking to do just similar with 24MP on m43 that should tell you where I want them to go. But I think Pana sensor design skills are still far away from Sony's skills and this is why we "only" see the 16MP.

Maybe we need to wait what Oly will be doing in their Pro camera with a Sony sensor .....

But just to put this into the right light - if the 16MP Pana GH3 has great DR and great IQ, that already will be a huge achievement if the body is really as rock solid as it looks like in all the leaked images and videos.

Tesselator

For me, the answer is obvious. I have some Nikon gear for sale.

Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube

The link seems to have been pulled. Is this the same one? Panasonic GH3 presentation video - YouTube

Also I wonder if anyone will sue them for calling their cameras "The First Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" cameras? hehehe... Leave it to Plastisonic to fudge things up. ;)

- - - - - -
BTW, the GH2 and the OMD sensors are so close it frigging hurts. There's nearly no difference as it is now. So the GH3 sensor would only need to be just a very little bit better than the GH2 in order match the OMD. Now, in-camera jpeg rendering is another question....