The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 firmware 1.5

B

bahamot

new firmware has just been released:

E-M5 Firmware Update

Ver.1.5
(Oct. 2, 2012)
- Operating sounds in the photo ready mode were decreased.
- Use of the Image stabilizer function by setting the Focal length of an OM lens attached with an adapter was enabled even in Movie mode.
- All updates up to version 1.2 are included.

ceklund

That was the easiest Oly firmware update I have ever had - going back to the E-1. And the IBIS is quiet.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
IBIS is quiet as long as you do not press the shutter release, then it is same as before.

Have also the feeling that the EVF is more responsive, but maybe this is only wishful thinking :D

mbroomfield

IBIS is quiet as long as you do not press the shutter release, then it is same as before.
.......:D
Hmmm, that is not the case with mine (on 1.1 presently) I hear humming no matter whether I press the shutter or not once turned on. I'm just hoping I'll get a little more battery life.

Jeffg53

Isn't it wonderful that they can update firmware and not destroy your sets at the same time. Fuji couldn't do that on the X100. Each firmware upgrade meant having to set it all up again.

Tesselator

I always destroy all my sets on purpose before upgrading or changing a ROM.

100% charge,
Restore Factory Defaults,
Burn ROM,
Restore defaults again,
Run thru the menus and set it up anew. Only takes a few minutes.

It's the safest way. If I don't do that I get unexpected behaviors and lots of frustrations trying to figure out what's wrong with the thing. True for phones, cameras, audio devices, networking equipment, and so on.

Tesselator

I dunno if ya can...

But my point is that ya shouldn't. Ya shouldn't use old settings with new ROMs - typically speaking. Software upgrades on a PC too but there vendors know such things and either convert the old settings, warn you about it, or just delete them. I've yet to see a hardware vendor ensure old setting will work 100% by converting them - tho there probably are a few - I dunno.

Elliot

The 1.5 upgrade has made my EM-5 much quieter, but then other sounds seem to have gotten a bit louder.

His snoring, for instance :)

250swb

A worthwhile upgrade. Virtually silent IBIS except for a brief burp when the shutter button is pressed and thankfully my Myset's are intact (I think Olympus learned a lesson way back with the E3 when the Firmware upgrades wiped everybody's saved preferences).

Steve

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just recognized today when working with the Pana 1.4/25, there is a significant increase in aperture adjustment sound, which was not there in prior FW releases.

This is really disturbing and almost will stop me in using this wonderful lens.

Old story repeating - even that this is ALL m43, it does unfortunately not work seamlessly between Olympus and Panasonic :confused:

I am starting to get really ANGRY :eek::eek::thumbdown:

JMaher

Are you talking about the chattering you occasionally get in contrasting light?

I just mounted mine to see if this was happening and can't recreate it. However it is night and I am inside but quickly moving from focusing on a light and then to a dark area is the kind of thing that occasionally triggered it.

Jim

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Are you talking about the chattering you occasionally get in contrasting light?

I just mounted mine to see if this was happening and can't recreate it. However it is night and I am inside but quickly moving from focusing on a light and then to a dark area is the kind of thing that occasionally triggered it.

Jim
It happens more in contrasty light. But I never recognized it before the FW upgrade. Now with 1.5 it is REALLY disappointing, makes the 1.4/25 almost unuseable at least for me.

dhsimmonds

A worthwhile upgrade. Virtually silent IBIS except for a brief burp when the shutter button is pressed and thankfully my Myset's are intact (I think Olympus learned a lesson way back with the E3 when the Firmware upgrades wiped everybody's saved preferences).

Steve
+1