The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pana Leica 45mm or Olympus 60mm macro?

bensonga

I'm contemplating the purchase of a macro lens for my GH2 and OMD. Any thoughts on the relative pros/cons of these two lenses? I was going to get the Pana Leica 45mm.....but wonder how the Oly 60mm might compare.

TIA.

Gary

pgmj

The photos I have seen made with the 60 seem to have almost no bokeh CA at all, which is very impressive. I haven't looked very much at the Leica 45, since I went for the Oly 45 instead, so I haven't tried comparing them. Very happy with the Oly 45.

B

brian1208

I've just received my 60mm macro (for which I traded my 45 Panny macro) and must say that on short acquaintance the Olympus has won my heart :)

Test images shot so far (all boring indoor stuff as its chucking it down with rain) have a much more open, bright look with an almost glass like clarity

Sharpness is scary even opened up to f3.2 and focus seems spot on. I'm going to have to be careful using this lens for portraits as it could be quite cruel in the amount of detail it will reveal

Focus speed seems pretty good but I really need to get it outdoors in some decent light to see how it performs with macro work

Handling and build are good

So far I'm delighted with it

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I would be in for buying one of these lenses, my choice would be clearly the 60mm Oly.

Main reason: I am finding again and again that despite the fact that Pana and Oly support an open standard in 43/m43 the Oly optics work far better on Oly bodies and vice versa Pana optics on Pana bodies.

This is based on long year experiences I have (unfortunately) made again and again ....

Dr. Brad

If I would be in for buying one of these lenses, my choice would be clearly the 60mm Oly.

Main reason: I am finding again and again that despite the fact that Pana and Oly support an open standard in 43/m43 the Oly optics work far better on Oly bodies and vice versa Pana optics on Pana bodies.

This is based on long year experiences I have (unfortunately) made again and again ....
New here, but I'm glad to find a forum like this. I would definitely like to get the Oly 60mm, but now I'm wondering how well it will work with my GH2. The Leica isn't quite in the budget, but I could swing the Oly. Does anyone know if there are tests posted on the web where someone has tried the Oly with a Panasonic body?