The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Panasonic G3

Howard

While the G3 has been replace with the G5, I noted that there was no thread for the G3. I decided to post a few of my photos. A little late but what the heck. I am sure there are others with the G3 that have some great photos so now we have a thread to show your photos.

Some photos at the dog park

Wild eyed female pit bull

For some reason, I am having difficulty posting other photos, I will post the one above and try another post

Howard

Thanks for responding. As possibly the only one in this forum that admits to using a G3 explains why Panasonic released the G5--apparently not enough consumers purchased G3's. However from my experience with good lenses, the G3 can produce very good to excellent photos.

Diane B

Thanks for responding. As possibly the only one in this forum that admits to using a G3 explains why Panasonic released the G5--apparently not enough consumers purchased G3's. However from my experience with good lenses, the G3 can produce very good to excellent photos.
LOL. I shot with it a year plus and enjoyed it. Its now my backup camera but had I not bought the OMD (for a variety of reasons) I would still feel I could get very good photos.
Just grabbed one from Flickr which wasn't even processed from RAW but done on Ipad. Had I taken to PC I would have dealt with the one too bright BG area.

flowers and plants-19 by picnicmetoo, on Flickr

Another taken at the site of Hunger Games District

Henry River Village Revisited-5 by picnicmetoo, on Flickr

Howard

Hot,

Thanks for the link -- there are many great photos in that thread taken with the G3.

Below is a night photo of Downtown Los Angeles. I did use a tripod.

Howard

At some point I will upgrade from the G3 even though I am satisfied with the results from my G3 I upgraded from the G1 which I had two, one is now being used by my daughter and the other I converted and use for IR. I skipped the G2 and got a G3. The Olympus OM5, GH3 (I like the larger size and more dedicated buttons) and G5 are all cameras that interest me, as well as the Fuji cameras, but Fuji cameras would require me get all new lenses, something that I probably will not do.

For now, I think I will stand pat, I am not sure that the Sensor used in the G5, GH3 or OM5 although better than the one in the G3, is such a huge upgrade from the one in my G3. Perhaps the G7 and OM7 when and if they get introduced will motivate me to upgrade.

A photo of my youngest grandchild.

Last edited:
Hi Howard,

I shoot a lot with G3s. In fact, a two-body G3 kit is my most-used at the moment, though I frequently shoot Leica and Nikon as well.

My blog has a lot of info on G3s, including a free ebook that I wrote explaining my settings in all of the (myriad) menus, and why I chose them.

I have not upgraded to the G5, since I don't see enough there to justify it. The GH3 may just work, however.

I love the G3, and use it in many applications, including low-light live music events.

Regards,
Reed
My Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Howard

Reed,

Thank you for referring me to your blog, not only some great photos but alot of useful information.

henningw

I've shot with the G3 for over a year, and it now is my backup camera to an Olympus OM-D. I also have a GH2, but mostly prefer the G3. Even though I'm 6'-2" I really like the G3 and OM-D combo, and I won't get the GH3 unless it has some astounding aspect I'm not aware of right now, mostly because of the size. The controls on the GH2 are nice, but I really don't miss them shooting with the G3, and find that I can adjust what needs adjusting quite easily. The G5 offers nothing I want. Image quality is very decent, and rarely does the superior quality of the OM-D result in a more useable picture.

So... mostly I'm shooting with the OM-D, often with the G3 and not so much with the GH2. It's likely to stay that way for a bit.

Henning

biomed

One of the few things I don't care for is the short battery life as compared to the G1 and GF1. I remedy this by carrying an extra battery or two. That being said, I quite like the G3.

G3 and 14/2.5

Elliot

I have a G3 that was used as my primary camera for one year, and since June as my back-up camera. The OM-D EM-5 became #1, and little things about it make it more functional for me, including a bit better overall IQ. But the G3 is a fine camera that is underrated by many.