The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

extreme purple fringing with the 20/1.7 (on em-5)

simonstucki

Hi, I recently found that on a photo taken with the 20/1.7 at 1.7 with the om-d at 400asa (1/640s so I know the best combination for the shot but that's not the point here)

this is out of camera raw (LR4).

this is a corrected version done with LR4 (notice the discoloration of the blue webbing thing at the lower left, as well as the "color clouds" in the shadows).

is that normal seems a bit extreme to me. this was not a test I just discovered it in LR and tried to correct it very easy in LR but the result is of course not very good given the extreme case. I will do some tests with other lenses and other apertures when I find the time. In the meantime I was wondering if somebody else has the same problem with that lens (which I liked a lot on the gf1 and still like on the om-d for some shots but to a significantly lesser degree especially now) or if I might have a defective sample.
looking forward to your comments.
simon

pgmj

I should add that I have both the 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. Both show CA on the OM-D, especially the 14mm, and of course more at wider apertures. The 14mm actually has so much CA (at any aperture) that I got the Oly 12/2 instead. Otherwise it is a decent performer.

So I don't think you have a defective lens. You could try opening the Panasonic RAW-files in some software that disregards the camera-applied changes. I think RPP does this: http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/ (Mac only). Then you will see if the lens performs similarly on both cameras.

simonstucki

I think your Pana camera automatically fixes a lot of the CA, which the OMD doesn't.
yes I know that, ca are not an issue since very easiliy corrected with LR4 and they are not that severe. what is bothering me is the purple fringing wich is removed in LR4 also quite easily but the removal leaves some ugly traces.

simonstucki

I should add that I have both the 20/1.7 and 14/2.5. Both show CA on the OM-D, especially the 14mm, and of course more at wider apertures. The 14mm actually has so much CA (at any aperture) that I got the Oly 12/2 instead. Otherwise it is a decent performer.

So I don't think you have a defective lens. You could try opening the Panasonic RAW-files in some software that disregards the camera-applied changes. I think RPP does this: http://www.raw-photo-processor.com/ (Mac only). Then you will see if the lens performs similarly on both cameras.
hi thanks for the reply.
I'm sure the om-d didn't make my lens any worse and I know that the pana corrects everything. I don't doubt that with the "right" raw procession software the gf1 would produce similarly bad pictures, but I'm more interested in good pictures with the om-d :)
simon

httivals

I am not having any problems getting great images using the panny 14mm on the OMD with lightroom 4.2. The two types of CA tools do a great job, in my experience. I am not finding "ugly traces" to be a problem.

V

Vivek

I think the problem is with the camera.

On the new Sony NEX-6 (APS-C sensor!), the 20/1.7 performs superbly! There are no electronic controls whatsoever.